.38 HBWCs, Seating/crimping at same time detrimental to accuracy? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : .38 HBWCs, Seating/crimping at same time detrimental to accuracy?

GlennP
04-29-2010, 23:38
Hey,
Just got a turret press to speed things up. I used to seperate seating and crimping but now I'de like to consolidate into one step. I set up my lee seat/crimp die and have a few questions.

Heres what im loading:
Speer 148 HBWCs in starline brass seated flush. RCBS cowboy 358 expander, lee everything else.

Anyways, when the last tiny bit of the process leaves a little bit of the top of the bullet scraped. Is this okay? Im assuming it is impossible for it to crimp while seating and not do that but i'm not sure. Im left with a nice crimp, no bulged brass. The only way to tell that it scrapes during crimp is because it leaved a teeny bit on top of the bullet when done, and is only very evident when a bullets pulled (top bit is shiney).

Am I getting worked up over nothing? I try for top accuracy, dont want to screw anything up here.

Thanks!<!-- google_ad_section_end --> <!-- / message --><!-- controls -->http://smith-wessonforum.com/images/misc/progress.gif

vafish
04-30-2010, 09:23
I think you are getting worked up over nothing.

Shoot them and see how the accuracy is.

GioaJack
04-30-2010, 09:33
Not really sure what you mean when you say' a little bit of the top of the bullet is scraped'. Does the actual top of the bullet have marks on it. Crimping method would have no effect on the top of the bullet, that would be caused by your seating stem such as using a RN stem on a WC bullet.

If you are only seeing marks on the side of the bullet 'after pulling them' you'd see that no matter what method you used to crimp them. You're scraping a bullet out of a case that has been sized, crimped and has a degree of natural case tension... if it wasn't tight enough to cause some scraping the projectile would pretty much fall out of the case... at the very least result in either set-back or forward creep, )in revolvers).

There is absolutely nothing wrong with seating and crimping in one die with the same stroke... that's how it's been done for over a hundred years. It does take a little longer to learn how to adjust the die but once that is learned it simply reduces the loading process by one step.

As far as accuracy is concerned, if you adjust your die properly you will never get to the point where you can hold steady enough to notice any difference in performance... if there is any.

Jack

GLShooter
04-30-2010, 14:22
The accuracy may suffer a tad but it will be minimal. I might try just a ting bit deeper seating on the stem and move the bullet in a few thousandths. I prefer to do the crimp separately on my HBWC 38's. I load them on a Dillon 300 so I have enough extra holes to run a separate crimp die.

Greg

srd
04-30-2010, 17:45
When i was playing with my 52 Smith i tried no crimp..light crimp..med crimp and heavy crimp for accuracy with that bullet. Light crimp worked the best as far as accuracy . Also tried super grex [ used in shotguns for buffered loads ] as a case filler on top of the powder for better ignition to keep the small amount of powder closer to the primer. Worked out rather well. If you like experimenting give it a try.Put just enough in to cover the top off the powder so you dont get a compressed load.

GlennP
04-30-2010, 18:57
Thanks guys.
I am using a light crimp and to clarify, when I said top of bullet scrapes i ment top of the outside of the bullet. On the side.

nitesite10mm
04-30-2010, 21:19
As far as accuracy is concerned, if you adjust your die properly you will never get to the point where you can hold steady enough to notice any difference in performance... if there is any.

Jack

That about sums it up right there.