Open Carry in Virginia? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Open Carry in Virginia?

srwhite85
04-30-2010, 11:06
Can you open carry in Virginia if you are not a resident of that state? The reason I am asking is because my Dad lives there, and I am going to visit him in July. I live in Illinois where we can't carry guns at all. Are there any certain rules pertaining to Open Carry? Any and all info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

hi480volts
04-30-2010, 11:11
Yes. Virginia doesn't require a permit for open carry, only concealed. You might get a look or two but for the most part people mind their business. It also will depend on where you go. People toward D.C. tend to get their panties wadded up a little faster than we do out toward the west.

LoadedTech
04-30-2010, 11:13
If you have a valid ID, and can legally own a gun then you can OC here in VA. You can go to VA state police web site to familiarize your self with the Cans and Can't.

srwhite85
04-30-2010, 11:15
Yes. Virginia doesn't require a permit for open carry, only concealed. You might get a look or two but for the most part people mind their business. It also will depend on where you go. People toward D.C. tend to get their panties wadded up a little faster than we do out toward the west.

Yeah, my Dad lives pretty close to West Virginia. He lives in Falls Mills, Va.

swinokur
04-30-2010, 13:06
Can you open carry in Virginia if you are not a resident of that state? The reason I am asking is because my Dad lives there, and I am going to visit him in July. I live in Illinois where we can't carry guns at all. Are there any certain rules pertaining to Open Carry? Any and all info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

You can also apply for a non resident VA CCW permit.

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_NonresidentConcealed.shtm

srwhite85
04-30-2010, 14:43
I also heard from somebody that you can't have a bullet in the chamber while you are Open Carrying in Virginia. Is this true?

Quigley
04-30-2010, 14:47
No you can carry loaded and starting July first even those without permits can keep a loaded handgun in their glovebox, center console or any other closed storage compartment.

RussP
04-30-2010, 15:50
I also heard from somebody that you can't have a bullet in the chamber while you are Open Carrying in Virginia. Is this true?Where'd ya here that?

Quigley
04-30-2010, 15:51
Where'd ya here that?

It did used to be that way in some counties in Va but the state over ruled it. Chesapeake was one of them.

srwhite85
04-30-2010, 15:52
Where'd ya here that?

somebody told my dad that. I thought it was weird. they also told my dad that even cops in Virginia aren't aloud to have a round in the chamber. I think whoever told my dad this is full of it.

swinokur
04-30-2010, 17:29
somebody told my dad that. I thought it was weird. they also told my dad that even cops in Virginia aren't aloud to have a round in the chamber. I think whoever told my dad this is full of it.

either a cop or a gun shop employee. Big source of misinformation

RussP
04-30-2010, 17:43
Where'd ya here that?

It did used to be that way in some counties in Va but the state over ruled it. Chesapeake was one of them.Yes it did...somebody told my dad that. I thought it was weird. they also told my dad that even cops in Virginia aren't aloud to have a round in the chamber. I think whoever told my dad this is full of it.I would agree...:wavey:

srwhite85
05-10-2010, 16:11
to the top

RussP
05-10-2010, 16:23
to the topDid you have a follow-up question?

SouthernBoyVA
05-10-2010, 16:53
If you have a valid ID, and can legally own a gun then you can OC here in VA. You can go to VA state police web site to familiarize your self with the Cans and Can't.

You don't need to carry any sort of ID if you are open carrying a gun here in Virginia. Open carry is the "default" or normal mode of carrying a sidearm here.

For the OP. I OC every day and it's a no brainer. Never had any problems of any kind from an LEO while doing this. You'll find that Virginia is the most lenient state in the South when it comes to guns and their carry.

srwhite85
05-10-2010, 16:55
Did you have a follow-up question?

Is there anything else I need to know? Like mag capacity or anything like that. Also what about while in the car in Virginia?

gbambeck1
05-10-2010, 17:02
No mags over 20 rounds I believe and if you have it in the car, either have it your person (open carried) or in plain sight. Some folks have a holster secured to the dash board or have a rig that attaches to the shoulder strap of the seat belt so it sits on the back support of the seat. Call VSP to verify, just in case. Happy Open Carrying!!

Wolfgang
05-10-2010, 18:08
VA is safer than IL.

You don't carry a gun there; why carry one here?

RussP
05-10-2010, 18:19
VA is safer than IL.

You don't carry a gun there; why carry one here?Are you saying visitors to the Commonwealth should not carry at all if open carry is their only option?

alien-Glocker
05-10-2010, 18:53
if you have it in the car, either have it your person (open carried) or in plain sight. Some folks have a holster secured to the dash board or have a rig that attaches to the shoulder strap of the seat belt so it sits on the back support of the seat.

From 1 July 2010 forward non-CHP holders can have a loaded handgun in a private vehicle concealed if it is in an unlocked (or locked if you wish) container or compartment--glove box. See HB 885. There is no longer a requirement to be in plain sight.

Wolfgang
05-11-2010, 06:24
Are you saying visitors to the Commonwealth should not carry at all if open carry is their only option?

I'm saying, if you are ok in IL, why are you not ok in VA? If you feel that unsafe, stay at home. (Or move to a state that recognizes personal freedom)

What would that visitor do in NYC?

I don't get it. {Keeping in perspective the lack of gun rights in their home state} Why does one desire to show off their gun in VA? Does it make one feel big? Macho? Protected? They don't mind not being protected in their home state?

I have no problem with someone following the law in VA, so I don't really care what the OP does in VA within the law. BUT WHY is it so important? Must be because you can?

RussP
05-11-2010, 07:42
I'm saying, if you are ok in IL, why are you not ok in VA? If you feel that unsafe, stay at home. (Or move to a state that recognizes personal freedom)

What would that visitor do in NYC?

I don't get it. {Keeping in perspective the lack of gun rights in their home state} Why does one desire to show off their gun in VA? Does it make one feel big? Macho? Protected? They don't mind not being protected in their home state?

I have no problem with someone following the law in VA, so I don't really care what the OP does in VA within the law. BUT WHY is it so important? Must be because you can?Okay, so someone from Illinois does not deserve the same Right afforded the citizens of Virginia, especially if they appear to be applying some importance to carrying for self defense.

I see you are not a fan of open carry. I agree open carrying to show off, to project some air of superiority, those are the wrong reasons. The "protected" has pluses and minuses, depending on the carriers mindset.

That part in red, you can't be serious. Are you not aware of the grass roots efforts to bring carry to IL? Go here and read... http://www.illinoiscarry.com/ They are very busy in Illinois.

"I have no problem with someone following the law in VA, so I don't really care what the OP does in VA within the law. BUT WHY is it so important? Must be because you can?" You think, maybe, you should have posted, "...Must be because it's the only way you can?"

srwhite85
05-11-2010, 11:51
VA is safer than IL.

You don't carry a gun there; why carry one here?

I don't carry in Illinois because some dumbass in Chicago runs the state and thinks guns are bad. Yet he carries one every day and is constantly surrounded by armed bodyguards. I hate the fact that I can't carry here, but for now this is where I live until I move to the safe and intelligent state of Virginia. Since I will be in Virginia visiting my dad and I can legally carry, I will. Yes, because I can, but more importantly because I will feel better knowing that should I need my Glock 19, I will have it.

fifty2you
05-11-2010, 12:12
I don't carry in Illinois because some dumbass in Chicago runs the state and thinks guns are bad. Yet he carries one every day and is constantly surrounded by armed bodyguards. I hate the fact that I can't carry here, but for now this is where I live until I move to the safe and intelligent state of Virginia. Since I will be in Virginia visiting my dad and I can legally carry, I will. Yes, because I can, but more importantly because I will feel better knowing that should I need my Glock 19, I will have it.
I second this ! Have a great time

Wolfgang
05-11-2010, 12:30
Okay, so someone from Illinois does not deserve the same Right afforded the citizens of Virginia, especially if they appear to be applying some importance to carrying for self defense.

I see you are not a fan of open carry. I agree open carrying to show off, to project some air of superiority, those are the wrong reasons. The "protected" has pluses and minuses, depending on the carriers mindset.
"

"I see you are not a fan of open carry." Are you a mind reader? I doubt it. I also doubt you have any idea what I think or how I feel about it.

"Okay, so someone from Illinois does not deserve the same Right afforded the citizens of Virginia, " Again, you miss the mark. It should not be a VA or an IL issue. The 2nd should apply to all in each and every state.

Saying someone from Illinois does not deserve the same Right afforded the citizens of Virginia is almost like saying ......... on second thought I would open a real can of worms, so I won't go there!

Enjoy the visit to VA. It is a nice place to live---well, most of it, anyway!

coondog22554
05-11-2010, 12:46
"I see you are not a fan of open carry." Are you a mind reader? I doubt it. I also doubt you have any idea what I think or how I feel about it.

"Okay, so someone from Illinois does not deserve the same Right afforded the citizens of Virginia, " Again, you miss the mark. It should not be a VA or an IL issue. The 2nd should apply to all in each and every state.

Saying someone from Illinois does not deserve the same Right afforded the citizens of Virginia is almost like saying ......... on second thought I would open a real can of worms, so I won't go there!

Enjoy the visit to VA. It is a nice place to live---well, most of it, anyway!

:panties: If your message is not clear don't blame the listener. :dunno:

ross2004
05-11-2010, 12:53
No you can carry loaded and starting July first even those without permits can keep a loaded handgun in their glovebox, center console or any other closed storage compartment.

And, you can have a gun on your person in an establishment that serves alcohol, as long as you aren't drinking yourself.

srwhite85
05-11-2010, 13:14
after july 1st is there any places I am not aloud to have a gun?

RussP
05-11-2010, 14:20
"I see you are not a fan of open carry." Are you a mind reader? I doubt it. I also doubt you have any idea what I think or how I feel about it.How do you feel about open carry, well, wait, what do you think about the people who open carry?"Okay, so someone from Illinois does not deserve the same Right afforded the citizens of Virginia, " Again, you miss the mark. It should not be a VA or an IL issue. The 2nd should apply to all in each and every state.Good.Saying someone from Illinois does not deserve the same Right afforded the citizens of Virginia is almost like saying ......... on second thought I would open a real can of worms, so I won't go there!Good.Enjoy the visit to VA. It is a nice place to live---well, most of it, anyway!Yes, that's true.

RussP
05-11-2010, 14:30
after july 1st is there any places I am not aloud to have a gun?http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/virginia.pdf

Go to the above link. It's been updated.

snuggles
05-11-2010, 19:51
Even before July 1 you could open carry into places that serve alcohol, it's always been that way. That bill just allows concealed carry now, with a chp, in said establishments. So don't worry about restaurants, or any july 1 deadline, if you don't have a chp.

Enjoy your visit!

Kiladonut
05-12-2010, 02:12
If its anything like PA you cant have your handgun with you in your car without a LTCF because its considered concealed. Unless things have changed in the past year.

SouthernBoyVA
05-12-2010, 06:37

Enjoy your stay, and your freedom, in our fine and beautiful state and spend lots of money while here. In case I missed it, in which part of our state are you visiting?

mkl
05-12-2010, 06:52
If its anything like PA you cant have your handgun with you in your car without a LTCF because its considered concealed. Unless things have changed in the past year.

In VA you can have an openly carried handgun without a CHP.

In certain cities without a CHP you can not carry a handgun openly with more then a 20 round magazine, or that can accommodate a silencer.
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-287.4

Also a comment earlier in the thread made it sound like closer towards DC OC will get people upset. I would tend to disagree. The area I tend to OC in is directly across the river from DC, and I have never had a problem. I OC 90% of my time within 3-4 miles of DC, so in one of the most urban areas in northern virginia, with no problems.

Have fun, and be safe.

vafish
05-12-2010, 08:51
In VA you can have an openly carried handgun without a CHP.

In certain cities without a CHP you can not carry a handgun openly with more then a 20 round magazine, or that can accommodate a silencer.

Also a comment earlier in the thread made it sound like closer towards DC OC will get people upset. I would tend to disagree. The area I tend to OC in is directly across the river from DC, and I have never had a problem. I OC 90% of my time within 3-4 miles of DC, so in one of the most urban areas in northern virginia, with no problems.

Have fun, and be safe.

I'm in Nova too. I don't OC often, but the times I have it was not an issue.

Due to several cases in recent years of OC'rs being harassed and arrested by police unlawfully, and some resulting lawsuits I would say that NOVA Police are very familiar with OC laws and even if the sheeple do call 911 on you the responding officer should handle it very professionally.

gbambeck1
05-12-2010, 08:56
From 1 July 2010 forward non-CHP holders can have a loaded handgun in a private vehicle concealed if it is in an unlocked (or locked if you wish) container or compartment--glove box. See HB 885. There is no longer a requirement to be in plain sight.

That is GREAT!! Finally! Thank you for the info. Does this include while the vihicle is motion or only when parked and unattended?

swinokur
05-12-2010, 09:02
That is GREAT!! Finally! Thank you for the info. Does this include while the vihicle is motion or only when parked and unattended?

The law makes no distinction about vehicle movement. it also includes vessels.

srwhite85
05-12-2010, 11:13
Enjoy your stay, and your freedom, in our fine and beautiful state and spend lots of money while here. In case I missed it, in which part of our state are you visiting?

My Dad lives in Falls Mills. Its pretty close to West Virginia.

Lawman90
05-12-2010, 20:27
No mags over 20 rounds I believe

This is correct! Thank god for spare mags though. :)

SouthernBoyVA
05-13-2010, 19:44
And, you can have a gun on your person in an establishment that serves alcohol, as long as you aren't drinking yourself.

If you are OC'ing, you may imbibe though we who OC tend to frown on that because of the image it creates.

srwhite85
09-18-2011, 10:49
Just updating this thread. I finally moved here and I LOVE it here!

Wolfgang
09-18-2011, 16:36
Welcome, glad you made the move.

srwhite85
09-18-2011, 18:29
Welcome, glad you made the move.

Thank You

SouthernBoyVA
09-19-2011, 14:10
Just to help assuage any concerns there may be about OC'ing in the northern part of Virginia, I do this on a daily basis. Yes there are times I CC but I OC far more often. Just today, a neighbor and I went to the range where I am a member. He bought a new AR (Daniel Defense) a few weeks ago and was dying to try it out. I had installed an Apex USB (Ultimate Striker Block) in my new M&P 9mm Pro Series and wanted to see how it went (I also took along my AR15).

Afterwards we went to a Five Guys in Manassas close to the battlefield and I was OC'ing (he carries but was not doing so this time). People were coming and going from the Five Guys and no one paid me any mind. That's just how it is down here. It is never a problem for me.