Changing upper reciever [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Changing upper reciever

faceplant
04-30-2010, 12:26
I have a Colt H-BAR with carry handle. I will be changing out the upper reciever for a flat top keeping the 20in barrel. I have ordered an upper assembly with parts but no bcg as I will be using the colt bcg. Do I need to check the chamber or will it be adjusted already?
Thanks

Constructor
04-30-2010, 15:33
If you keep the same bolt and barrel combination the headspace will not change so you are good to go.

faceplant
04-30-2010, 18:30
So your saying that if I get an extra BCG say from Bravo Company that I would not be able to use it in different ARs without worrying about headspace?

Constructor
04-30-2010, 19:08
Most bolts are close and will not pose a problem but CMT/Stag are known to be on the large side, LMTs are known to be on the small side. If you use a Stag bolt in a LMT barrel most will be tight headspace, use a LMT bolt in a Stag/CMT barrel and there will more than likely be too much headspace. I have no idea who BCM buys their bolts and carriers from.
Also swapping back and forth is not a good idea because the lugs of the bolt get mated to the lugs of the extension, they should be flat but nothing is perfect. I would buy a bolt for each barrel and keep them together.

faceplant
05-01-2010, 06:22
Thanks

faceplant
05-05-2010, 15:02
I changed out the upper reciever. The gas tube was big pain in the backside. I had to use a set of pliers to grip it and bang that with a hammer. Any tips for the next one?

Constructor
05-05-2010, 20:46
installing the gas tube in the gas block, including the roll pin?
They make a GB jig, little plastic tray but, I just lay the GB in the vise align the hole and use a roll pin starter. It looks like a long punch but has a hole in the end to hold the roll pin. Then slide the assembly over the barrel and through the hole in the receiver.

faceplant
05-06-2010, 19:23
Getting it out of the front site post while taking it apart.

Constructor
05-07-2010, 00:09
If I have to pull them apart I clamp the tube in a vise and pull the f-sight base or gas block off.