Living Trust Lawyer for Alabama [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Living Trust Lawyer for Alabama

Mabo
04-30-2010, 14:38
Hello fellow Alabamians,

With short barreled rifles and shotguns soon becoming legal to own in the state of Alabama I've started looking into having a lawyer draft me a Revocable Living Trust to make the transfer process easier for these weapons. The problem I've come up against is most of the guys either:

A. Charge outrageous fees
B. Have no clue what I'm talking about

So here is what I was thinking. If anyone else is interested in going this route I would like for everyone to post their findings here so perhaps we can make it easier for everyone.

So far after talking to several lawyers the cheapest I have found is David Goldman who is based in Florida and wants $600 to create a trust for me. Being he is not licensed in Alabama he would create the documents and then transfer them to an Alabama lawyer for the final sign off. As I learn more I'll update this post and I hope that others will as well. I'm hoping if we use the power of our numbers we can convince some local Alabama lawyer to create some simple trust's for us that perhaps cost $300 or less and we will all be happy.

I know that I could go out and purchase Quicken Willmaker and take my chances creating a trust with that but personally I do not feel comfortable with that option. I have three other friends at the moment who are possibly interested in a getting a trust assuming we can get the price down cheap enough. If you are interested please post something, that way when I talk to these lawyers I can at least give them an idea of how much business I could throw their way. Thanks!

Mabo
04-30-2010, 14:43
Also for those who might not really have any clue what I'm talking about here is a link to the benefits of creating a firearms trust for anyone interested in purchasing suppressors, short barreled rifles/shotguns, destructive devices, machine guns, or AOW's.

http://www.guntrustlawyer.com/NFA_Gun_Trust_brochure.pdf

Brad_G
05-05-2010, 14:38
I'm definitly interested, and I know some guys over at Alabama Shooters Association would be too.

If you have time, get on the ASA website and post this information, as I'm sure you will get a few responses.

Mabo
05-05-2010, 14:48
ASA website? Any links?

Brad_G
05-05-2010, 14:50
It's in my signature.

www.ALshooters.com (http://www.ALshooters.com)

BamaBud
05-11-2010, 14:46
I have never dealt with him, but I have seen James Porter, an attorney in Birmingham, is on the NRA Board of Directors. While he might not do this kind of work, he might be a good place to start your search.

Post if you have any dealings with him, please.

Brucev
05-22-2010, 07:26
My father set up a similar trust to protect his property. Everything worked out very well. The "wicked witch" had to get on her broom and go away. Happily she has never come back. The rest of us have had a nice time walking together down the yellow brick road.

Whatever you do... do not try to "Wal-Mart" the process. It will cost you something in terms of money and time to do the trust right. But, do it right. The payoff will be that things will be handled exactly and precisely as you stipulate. Who knows... someone you love may end up having to deal with a "witch." You want to make sure who gets the ruby slippers! Cheers. Brucev.