Question about AR gunsmithing [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Question about AR gunsmithing

Jeremy_K
04-30-2010, 18:30
I'm moving to NY and I have to get my AR tele stock pinned and a muzzle brake pinned and I think welded. I plan on bringing it to a gunsmith for the work. Is this something any average gunsmith can handle? I've never been to a gunsmith and I just don't want my rifle hacked more than it needs to be. The place where I bought my Glock has a gunsmith there 3 days a week. The store sells quite a few Evil black weapons so I'm fairly confident the smith knows these guns. It's probably not something they see every day since PA doesn't have these commie rules about neutering their guns.

moncoacp
04-30-2010, 19:07
Yes, any gun shop in NY probably has experience in modifying the AR to meet the stupid NY AWB. Please note that any mags above 10 rounds are illegal unless they were made before September 13, 1994. Those magazines ARE legal to use in any AR no matter the date the AR was manufactured. So before discarding any magazines inspect them very carefully for indication of a manufacture date or the words "LEO/Military Use Only". Also be aware that the burden is on the state to prove the manufacture date if LE should question the legality of any magazines you possess AND there is no date on the magazine.

NYresq
05-18-2010, 12:48
I would sell the collapsable stock and pick up a lightweight non telescoping stock. It will probably be cheaper. As to the muzzle brake, if you have any thoughts on fitting something else (phantom, surefire or other non standard birdcage type) do it now. Once its pinned and welded removing it will more often then not damage the barrel and threads. So if you want a high speed tacticool surefire brake, buy it now and have that one pinned and welded on the barrel.
And not all shops will have the ability to do this, many will farm out the welding work to a machine shop. Do some searching on the AR-15 forums. There are several threads on how to pin and weld a brake in place. There is nothing that says it must be done by a gunsmith.
When its welded, DO NOT have it sanded and blended to hide it. Leave it obvious so there is no question its welded. I know someone who thought it looked bad to have the bead of weld sticking out the bottom of the brake, so he ground it smooth and blended it into the brake so it couldnt be seen. When the rifle was held by the cops (messy divorce, he surrendered his guns for a few months) they checked to see if it was legal by placing the barrel in a vice and putting a wrench on the brake... well it stripped the threads off and destroyed the end of the barrel when the pin cut into the steel and left a groove. A new barrel and brake plus rewelding a new break on it taught him to leave the weld alone so it could be seen. hit it with some alumihyde or guncote or something to keep it from rusting, but leave it obvious. One less thing some idiot will question.

Jeremy_K
05-18-2010, 13:24
I had it pinned and welded by a gunsmith locally. I went with the DPMS Miculek brake. He also pinned the telescoping stock in place and he did a very good job of it. It took me a minute to find where it was pinned. It is pinned so that it didn't ruin the function of the stock if I were ever be able to telescope it again. I'm happy with his work but not so happy about butchering a brand new rifle. In 3 weeks I'll be a resident of communist NY. Maybe in another year or so I'll be able to own a pistol again.:steamed: