Droid [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Droid

wrenrj1
04-30-2010, 18:59
My state phone is up for renewal and my chance to get rid of my Samsung Omnia crap phone with Windows Mobile. My main gripe has been the user interface with the phone/operating system, as well as the lack of a hard keyboard which I miss from my old blackberry (3rd generation), the best combination of PDA and phone IMHO.

I'm limited to Verizon, and the Android OS by Google sounds like it's MUCH better than the Window OS, however I hear the new Windows OS on cell phones is going to be much better, as is the rumor that the IPhone will be available through Verizon later this year. Bottom line is that I can't wait to get rid of the Samsung.

Long story short, how do people like their Motorola Droid phones? I will be using it primarily for the phone, email (outlook) and also want a good speaker phone.

-Jeremiah-
04-30-2010, 21:07
I don't have a Droid but I do have an Android phone and came from a series of Windows Mobile phones before I made the jump to Android. Android is SO much better than Windows Mobile. I can't see myself going back to a Windows based phone after having Android.

Jai9100
05-01-2010, 07:33
however I hear the new Windows OS on cell phones is going to be much better, as is the rumor that the IPhone will be available through Verizon later this year.

They have been saying the iPhone coming for verizion for the last 3 years:faint: Don't count on that happening.

Slug71
05-01-2010, 07:43
Windows Mobile sucks. Always has and always will.

BigDaddyK
05-01-2010, 08:07
The new droid incredible is out now. I have no experience with either but the incredible does have a 1Ghz cpu. The android OS is very nice. Much better than Windows.

inthefrey
05-08-2010, 21:11
Windows Mobile sucks. Always has and always will.

Got a Sprint TouchPro 2 with Windows Mobile 6.5 and the 3.5 SBP software that is rather sweet.

With the SBP software, it IS NOTHING LIKE a Windows Mobile phone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UimAfNi8i4

kc8ykd
05-08-2010, 23:35
Got a Sprint TouchPro 2 with Windows Mobile 6.5 and the 3.5 SBP software that is rather sweet.

With the SBP software, it IS NOTHING LIKE a Windows Mobile phone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UimAfNi8i4

I don't use all the SPB stuff, but their phone tools/suite, time and diary are on my home screen, as well as weather panel. it's quite nice to see the time in 4 locations (me plus family), the weather (w/radar + forecast), and upcoming appointments and emails and texts without having to press a button.

also, the spb phone suite lets me set profiles for various things, like during an appointment, my phone automatically sets itself to vibrate/no ring and pops back to normal after the appointment time is over. it also does time-based profiles, like overnight i set the ringer to ultra low and back to normal at 6am.

The SPB software stuff is really really nice, they've made some very good programs, very stable as well.

I also use Touchpal (www.cootek.com) as my input method, it really beats a physical keyboard and the normal onscreen stuff.

my phone also checks 2 pop email accounts every 15 minutes along with another push account from gmail, pretty nice.

i like the iphone os and android, but they just aren't as configurable as i'd like. I'm guessing i'm not going to like winmo 7 when it's released because it looks like it's moving towards those two as well, as far as lack of home screen configuration options :(

the chatter about the iphone on VZ has been getting louder and louder recently.. Personally, i'd wait till the release of the new iphone or winmo7 to see if either come to VZ and decide which I like most between the 3 choices then..

-Jeremiah-
05-10-2010, 11:11
I don't use all the SPB stuff, but their phone tools/suite, time and diary are on my home screen, as well as weather panel. it's quite nice to see the time in 4 locations (me plus family), the weather (w/radar + forecast), and upcoming appointments and emails and texts without having to press a button.

also, the spb phone suite lets me set profiles for various things, like during an appointment, my phone automatically sets itself to vibrate/no ring and pops back to normal after the appointment time is over. it also does time-based profiles, like overnight i set the ringer to ultra low and back to normal at 6am.

The SPB software stuff is really really nice, they've made some very good programs, very stable as well.

I also use Touchpal (www.cootek.com) as my input method, it really beats a physical keyboard and the normal onscreen stuff.

my phone also checks 2 pop email accounts every 15 minutes along with another push account from gmail, pretty nice.

i like the iphone os and android, but they just aren't as configurable as i'd like. I'm guessing i'm not going to like winmo 7 when it's released because it looks like it's moving towards those two as well, as far as lack of home screen configuration options :(

the chatter about the iphone on VZ has been getting louder and louder recently.. Personally, i'd wait till the release of the new iphone or winmo7 to see if either come to VZ and decide which I like most between the 3 choices then..

Android can do all of those things that you mentioned....even touchpal, which you're right about. Touchpal is the best keyboad for WinMo.

To OP: definitely go with the Incredible over the Droid, if you are considering Android and Verizon.

kc8ykd
05-10-2010, 12:08
Android can do all of those things that you mentioned....even touchpal, which you're right about. Touchpal is the best keyboad for WinMo.

To OP: definitely go with the Incredible over the Droid, if you are considering Android and Verizon.

screen shot?

-Jeremiah-
05-10-2010, 12:50
screen shot?

I don't have all that running on my phone. But there are apps for profiles that will put your phone in different conditions depending on your specifics or even location using GPS and/or the network location. Locale is one such app. There are a ton of weather apps/widgets. Calendar widgets that are better than the stock Android widget (Pure Calendar Widget is what I use). The point is that Android's home screen is completely customizable, more so than WinMo because it's not dependent on skins and shells. Also SPB is developing a home replacement for Android.

WinPhone7 is supposed to have a locked down homescreen and iPhone is just adding wallpaper support to their 4.0 OS.

kc8ykd
05-10-2010, 13:06
I'll have to look at the android widgets more, sounds like they've had some nice developments since i saw them last.

ya, i was totally disappointed when i saw the winmo 7 previews, looks almost like a zune-esque type interface.

SPB actually stopped all their winmo 6 / 6.5 development once 7 was announced, due to the radical change.

wrenrj1
05-10-2010, 18:59
what I'm looking for as well is a hard keyboard as opposed to a touch screen. Any comments on the keyboard?

kc8ykd
05-10-2010, 20:02
having a phone w/keyboard as well as the onscreen keyboard, i wouldn't consider a phone without one a deal breaker at all.

really, the only time i use mine is when i ssh into something using PocketPutty and have lots of non-dictionary stuff to type, other than that, it's all the onscreen keyboard

Drjones
05-14-2010, 08:00
My business partner just got one and I have played with it for about 5 minutes.

My thoughts: the os is pretty intuitive, phone too, it's pretty snappy & responsive. The screen is absolutely stunning!

The touchscreen is a lot better than i thought it would be, but apple still makes the best touch screens. Period. It's not as good as the iphone's screen. Not by a lot, but it isn't there yet.