Installing a HD [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Installing a HD

wrenrj1
04-30-2010, 19:11
My laptop's HD crashed and I'm going to try to do this myself as a project. I've identified the HD (SATA 2.5) I need to buy, however I disposed of the system disks that came with the laptop (Dell Inspiron 1525). I know what HD I need to buy, and will try to locate a copy of MS Vista to reload (then upgrade to Win 7 that I purchased earlier) and I can get the list of drivers installed on my laptop downloaded from Dell.

My question is, after installing the HD and powering up the laptop, what's next? Anyone care to give me a step by step process to bring this laptop back to life?

cgwahl
04-30-2010, 20:30
You might have to go into the BIOS and go to boot up sequence and tell it try and load from the CD/DVD drive first. Save/exit. After that just follow the prompts the install disc does and wait for it to finish.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but you'll probably want to install the drivers and then proceed with the upgrade. But there is a chance you can just skip straight to the upgrade...

cgwahl
04-30-2010, 20:37
Oh, as for drivers...be sure to burn them to a cd or copy them to a flash drive so you won't have to connect it to the internet and download them.

j-glock22
04-30-2010, 20:51
Dell should be able to mail you a new software recovery set. I used to be an onsite pc tech, and I remember working with Dell systems, and some people either didn't get or have lost their software recovery package. But you may be able to get an OEM OS and snag hardware drivers yourself online.....

Sgt. Schultz
04-30-2010, 22:00
I know what HD I need to buy, and will try to locate a copy of MS Vista to reload (then upgrade to Win 7 that I purchased earlier) I would bypass the Vista install and go straight to Windows 7 ... you can do a clean install of Windows 7 using the upgrade version.

wrenrj1
05-01-2010, 18:09
Dell should be able to mail you a new software recovery set. I used to be an onsite pc tech, and I remember working with Dell systems, and some people either didn't get or have lost their software recovery package. But you may be able to get an OEM OS and snag hardware drivers yourself online.....

$59.00 for the drivers and OS CD's from Dell. I thought I'd try to snag a Vista disk from someone as the key is on the back of the laptop, and the drivers can be downloaded from Dell specifically for my laptop.

wrenrj1
05-01-2010, 18:11
I would bypass the Vista install and go straight to Windows 7 ... you can do a clean install of Windows 7 using the upgrade version.

You sure about that Schultz? I was told I couldn't by the Geek Squad, but then again I was told today I couldn't install Vista using a different Vista disk...

Sgt. Schultz
05-01-2010, 19:45
You sure about that Schultz? I was told I couldn't by the Geek Squad, but then again I was told today I couldn't install Vista using a different Vista disk... Absolutely, I've done it many times. Google "clean install windows 7 from upgrade" and you will find many sites explaining several different ways to do it.

HKUSP45Css
05-04-2010, 10:05
You sure about that Schultz? I was told I couldn't by the Geek Squad, but then again I was told today I couldn't install Vista using a different Vista disk...

Geek Squad misinformed you (*shocker*).

When you boot to the Windows 7 upgrade disk select "custome install" ... everything will be just fine and it's perfectly legal.

evilspringer
05-04-2010, 10:10
Link to tutorial

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/30622-doing-clean-install-upgrade-windows-7-version.html

havensal
05-04-2010, 11:30
The problem I had was it telling my that my key was invalid if I used "Custom". Not just mine, but a couple of us that preordered. :dunno:

I had to install XP and then do a clean install from there. :steamed:

Maybe the newer disks have an upgraded installer version. :dunno: