Mossberg 500 question... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 500 question...

Kona
04-30-2010, 19:34
I have been wanting a Mossberg 500 for home defense as well as shooting skeet/hunting with the family. However, I was talking to a lady at the gun shop tonight and she said dont get the 500 for that combination. She said that if I use it for skeet and swap hunting barrel with a home defense barrel then there will be a rattle after awhile. Anyone else use their 500 for HD and hunting? If so, would you recomend that combination?

ScrappyDoo
04-30-2010, 20:07
I asked a question about Mossberg 500 rattles back in Jan, when the kid at Dicks told me not to buy a Mossberg cause they all rattle. He promptly showed and proved said rattle on every mossberg display model. The consensus here was it's simply Mossbergs looser tolerance construction / ie how they do. / it's all good

ScrappyDoo
04-30-2010, 20:09
And really most of us are not Delta Force Mofos, if the bad guy catches you cause of your Mossberg rattle he has you dead to rights anyway, seriously. Not an issue IMHO.

twag4
04-30-2010, 21:20
The 500 is a fine shotgun. It is not the finest, or an over under trap gun. It will provide flawless function, as much accuracy as you are able to provide, and it works every time you use it. Had mine for 16-17 years and thousandsss of rounds with not even one malfunction. I do not notice the rattle because a twelve gauge sounds like a howitzer compared to normal handguns. Besides, in a defensive situation the unmistakeable sound of a pump action shotgun is intimidating-shed your body fluids intimidating. BTW I swap from 18.5 to 24 and 28 all the time. There is nothing that will develop into a rattle that didn't rattle from the factory. Check one out yourself, the barrel only contacts at the magazine end and at the breechend of the receiver. Nothing to rattle.

mixflip
04-30-2010, 22:21
Very few pump shotguns "dont" rattle. Pump shotguns are very old technology and the 500 is roughly a 50 year old tried and true battle proven design. I have owned a few shotguns now and action bars make noise eventually.

I like this plane jane 500 HD setup...
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i182/mixflip/mossberg_500_old.jpg

Ultimate CC
05-01-2010, 00:03
Can't go wrong with a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870

Aceman
05-01-2010, 10:55
These people who said those things have no idea what they are talking about. There is a reason Mossberg is as big a seller as Remington. And the rattle has nothing to do with it.

AK's rattle too. Guess what - they always work. AR's however, are silent. Sometimes they are even silent when they should make a very loud noise.

dc2integra
05-02-2010, 00:13
mossberg is a great shotgun its my primary HD gun .The forend is aliitle loose it rattles a little bit but shoots like a dream.

vafish
05-02-2010, 14:36
Mossberg 500 is going to rattle a bit if you change the barrel or not.

That is no reason to avoid the Mossberg 500

DHart
05-13-2010, 03:56
You'll hear this from a bazillion folks... I'm just one more. Mossberg pumps are awesome shotguns. I've had an 18.5" 500 persuader for about 8 years... use it weekly on my property for moles and such and fun. It's so slick running now... I love it! Bought a 20" 590 a few years ago and it's every bit as good. Never a jam, never a problem, always running sweet and accurate, whether cleaned or not. I trust them with defending my life completely. These are decades old tried and true machines.

As for gun store sales people and assorted stand-by customers, DON'T believe a thing they say. Most of them rattle on about stuff that is either flat out wrong and they know it (because they want to sell you something else or they're plain biased) or they don't know what the heck they're talking about but want to spout off like they do.

Do your own research and homework; seek out the opinions of those who you have learned you can believe in, then go shopping and ignore the ding dongs all around you.

And if you get the same answer to your question from a great majority of people who seem like they should know, then you can probably put some stock in what's being said.

Yep... Mossbergs are awesome shotguns. Love the ergos on safety & slide release control positioning, the upward lifter position, the dual extractors, and the reliability. Rattle? What rattle? Pumps are pumps!

pilsbury
05-13-2010, 05:19
Can't go wrong with a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870

I agree. Either is good, Ive been using 870s for 35 years and have never had one issue or one malfunction.

Edmo01
05-21-2010, 21:46
I own a 500 with the "Marine cote" finish and 18.5" barrel. It, like others have said, is flawless in function and reliability.

When I bought my shotgun I had the 500 and a Remington 870 on the counter and compared the two. I picked the 500 because I'm a left handed.

The 500's safety is on the top of the receiver and activated by the thumb just like on a Browning BPS pump shotgun I own. Right or left handers can easily manipulate this safety, unlike the right hand safety on the 870.

Edmo

DHart
05-21-2010, 21:56
Why I like Mossbergs...

Comes down to this for me (not in any particular order):

1) I prefer the carrier-up mode design of the Mossberg for really easy loading... no need to bother pushing the carrier out of the way to access the tube for loading/topping off while shooting. One can get used to dealing with the carrier being in the way (870), but having the carrier out of the way (500/590) is much nicer - especially when topping off under duress.

The carrier up mode of the Mossberg also enables very easy un-loading of the mag tube, when you wish to do so without racking all those shells through the receiver and chamber.

2) I prefer the tang mounted safety of the 500/590... you can see it VERY quickly and easily, access it with either hand for left or right hand shooting, and you can operate the safety while your trigger finger is in ready position and able to fire, WITHOUT changing the position of your shooting hand! With the Mossberg, there is no need to use your trigger finger for anything BUT firing the gun. Seeing the safety position on the 870 is more difficult and operating it takes more hand movement. I can operate the safety and "virtually" simultaneously fire the gun with a Mossberg something I can't do with an 870.

3) I prefer the location of the slide release lever on the 500/590... a slight shift of the middle finger releases the slide without having to change or shift the position of the hand and WITHOUT moving your trigger finger from ready/fire position. With the 870, the shooting hand must be moved from firing position to reach under and over to the left side.

4) I prefer having the Mossberg's double extractors (on on each side of the bolt) with 500/590 vs. a single extractor on the 870. Two extractors is better than one.

5) I prefer the easy ability to replace a damaged or broken ejector on the Mossberg by myself, by removing a single screw. Whereas, the ejector on the 870 is riveted in and replacing a broken ejector on the 870 typically requires the work of a gunsmith and likely the refinishing of the receiver!

6) Price - the pricing on Mossberg is the winner. Unless you are only considering Remington Express vs. Mossberg. And if you are only comparing 870 Express to Mossberg, they are priced somewhat comparably. But know that Remington cut every corner they possibly could with their Express models (vs. the more costly 870 models that built their reputation) to compete with Mossberg on PRICE.

MOSSBERG MODELS
The Mossberg 18.5” 500 Persuader is a six-shot model and is an exceptional choice for an in-home use shotgun. It feels very nimble and quick handling due to being fairly lightweight, the size is fairly short, and the balance is not front-heavy as it is on the higher capacity/longer barrel models.

I also like the standard 9-round capacity of the 20" Mossberg 590. For a hunkered-down defense shotgun or one you will depend on more outdoors than in-the-house, this may be a better model than the shorter ones due to extra capacity and somewhat less need for the shorter form factor.

It can certainly be argued that higher round capacity is a good thing, but there is a price for that in size, weight and balance.

The capacity choice really depends on the primary use, your lifestyle, and where you will use the gun. If you hang with drug runners and the like, perhaps live in a very high crime neighborhood, you may benefit from having a higher capacity model. ;) If you're an average, law-abiding, clean living kind-of-person, the lighter, shorter six-shooter is more nimble and quick and very likely to provide all the 12 ga. capacity you will ever need.

Having both the 18.5“ 6-shot 500 Persuader and the 20” 9-shot 590, I will say that the extra length and weight in handling the fully loaded 20“ 590 vs. the fully loaded 18.5” 500 is quite noticible! I give the nod to the 18.5"er, but you can get used to either.

Mossberg has a new 500 Persuader 20“ 8-shot model now available as well as an alternative to the 20" nine-shoot 590.

Mossberg has built a business and reputation for making good quality, reliable shotguns for a very modest price. They've mastered making good-quality, lower-priced shotguns for a very long time - it is their specialty.

Manofprint
05-21-2010, 21:56
I bought a used one for my Fiance for her to shoot Trap with.
She is a lefty and now clips about 15-17 clay out of 25.
I also have an 18.5+" barrell on it for home protection.

Just make sure you get the vent rib 28" with the accu choke

The rattle concerned me at first but I took it apart and assured myself it was nothing to worry about.

GreyEclipse
05-21-2010, 22:06
I liked rattlers when I was toddler. I still like em to this day...
although they also make big bangs and they're called Mossbergs. :supergrin:

Edmo01
05-22-2010, 10:15
Why I like Mossbergs...

4) I prefer having the Mossberg's double extractors (on on each side of the bolt) with 500/590 vs. a single extractor on the 870. Two extractors is better than one...

DHart, good points all... Item #4 reminded me of a "malfunction" I had with my 500.

I noticed the right extractor was loose and after investigating I determined the pivot pin for the extractor was broken, however the gun still functioned flawlessly. I ordered a replacement pin from Midway, but before installing it I thought I would try a function check with only the left extractor installed. Again, the gun functioned flawlessly and cycled every round.

Just like with airplanes, it is sometimes good to have a level of redundancy.

Edmo

DHart
05-22-2010, 11:25
DHart, good points all... Item #4 reminded me of a "malfunction" I had with my 500.

I noticed the right extractor was loose and after investigating I determined the pivot pin for the extractor was broken, however the gun still functioned flawlessly. I ordered a replacement pin from Midway, but before installing it I thought I would try a function check with only the left extractor installed. Again, the gun functioned flawlessly and cycled every round.

Just like with airplanes, it is sometimes good to have a level of redundancy.

Edmo

Edmo... glad to hear that Mossberg's design wisdom made a difference in reliability on your gun! Excellent.

captdreifus
06-19-2010, 02:35
Exactly what part is rattling? I have a 500A and dont seem to notice??

DHart
06-19-2010, 03:28
Exactly what part is rattling? I have a 500A and dont seem to notice??

Forearms tend to rattle more than other brands, but to me that's just the Mossberg thing... doesn't bother me at all. They're as reliable as anything out there.

Here's my plain Jane 500 Persuader... I just love this gun... with the Bantam stock I get a 12.75" LOP and it just shoulders and handles so quick and light... fantastic.

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp59/zmonki/Shotguns%20and%20RIfles/500_Out_R.jpg

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp59/zmonki/Shotguns%20and%20RIfles/500_Out_L.jpg

randyr5
06-28-2010, 06:23
I have been wanting a Mossberg 500 for home defense as well as shooting skeet/hunting with the family. However, I was talking to a lady at the gun shop tonight

Well, there's your problem :supergrin: J/K

ScrappyDoo
06-29-2010, 16:44
I will say my 930 SPX is probably my favorite thing outta my collection to hold, shoulder, and point. It simply FEELS badass and high quality. IMHO it looks pretty nice too.