Recommendation for a new tumbler [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation for a new tumbler

kubura
04-30-2010, 21:51
I bought Frankford Arsenal Quick-N-EZ Case Tumbler 3 years ago and have used it a substantial amount of time but not excessively. It quit today. I am very disappointed in this tumbler longevity, and will not waste my money on this poor quality and a very loud tumbler again.

Which reasonably priced tumbler should I get now?

Suggestions, please.

gwalchmai
05-01-2010, 04:28
Did the motor burn up? I had a six month old FA tumbler just quit on me a few years ago out of the blue. I opened it up and found that the lug on the power wire to the motor had been over crimped and installed with too much tension, causing the wire to break at the connection (well, duh, it's a vibrating device...). It was a simple fix and is still working today. ;)

I recommend Dillon or Lyman. They cost more but you only have to cry once.

IndyGunFreak
05-01-2010, 04:54
I bought Frankford Arsenal Quick-N-EZ Case Tumbler 3 years ago and have used it a substantial amount of time but not excessively. It quit today. I am very disappointed in this tumbler longevity, and will not waste my money on this poor quality and a very loud tumbler again.

Which reasonably priced tumbler should I get now?

Suggestions, please.

You get what you pay for, the FA isn't a bad tumbler at all. If when you buy the whole kit for $50-$60 you think it's going to last 20yrs, then your expectations are the problem. I've had 2 FA tumblers, first one lasted about 4yrs, I'm almost on year 2 w/ this one. You get what you pay for, never more.

When my current FA takes a dump, I'm getting a Thumler Model B.

Lyman makes a halfway decent tumbler that will probably run around from 60-85, depending on what you get.

IGF

380Seecamp
05-01-2010, 05:02
My Lyman tumbler just keeps going and going and . . .

http://carolinepond.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/energizer-bunny.jpg

steve4102
05-01-2010, 05:39
I have three tumbles, an RCBS, a Cabelas(Berry's) and a FA.

The RCBS is fast and loud with a very long threaded shaft and a wing nut. This always came loose while tumbling so I had to add a spring to the threaded shaft to keep it secure.

The FA is slow and not too loud. Did I mention it's slow.

The Cabela's is fast, very quiet, and has a big ass knob with a lock nut built it, no lost wing nuts and added springs. It's also the least expensive of the three.

Of the three the Cabela's is number one by far, the RCBS is a good unit but very loud, the FA is a POS.

kshutt
05-01-2010, 05:47
I've had a Thumler's Tumbler Ultra-Vibe 18 for at least 25 years, and I like it!

ignantmike
05-01-2010, 06:01
i found a used hornady tumbler on the net and i like it......it's quiet and does a good job......

srd
05-01-2010, 06:39
Thumbler tumbler...you wont be disappointed its in life span and how quiet it runs.

Jumper
05-01-2010, 08:49
I've got a midway tumbler that I've used A LOT over the past 10 years and its still going strong. I've also had a Thumlers Model B for about a year now. When I first got the Thumlers, I was un-motivated to use it because rinsing and drying the brass required more work than the midway tumbler and the result was almost identical: both methods cleaned brass cases. I solved the drying problem with an old crock pot and a small fan. Now, if I use stainless steel media, a little lemon dish washing soap and water, I get cleaner brass from the Thumlers and drying the cases is just a (short) waiting game. I'm pretty happy with it.

RustyFN
05-01-2010, 09:16
I have had a Cabelas tumbler for two years. It has been a great tumbler and is very quiet. It is also a large capacity, advertised to hold 650 38 spcl cases.

IndyGunFreak
05-01-2010, 09:18
I've got a midway tumbler that I've used A LOT over the past 10 years and its still going strong. I've also had a Thumlers Model B for about a year now. When I first got the Thumlers, I was un-motivated to use it because rinsing and drying the brass required more work than the midway tumbler and the result was almost identical: both methods cleaned brass cases. I solved the drying problem with an old crock pot and a small fan. Now, if I use stainless steel media, a little lemon dish washing soap and water, I get cleaner brass from the Thumlers and drying the cases is just a (short) waiting game. I'm pretty happy with it.

You can use dry media in the thumler.

fredj338
05-01-2010, 12:28
I've had a Thumler's Tumbler Ultra-Vibe 18 for at least 25 years, and I like it!
Yeo, me too. It just goes & goes. Yes, you get what you pay for. I also have the large Dillon, but rarely use it much. Won it at a shoot & used to tumble 1000 45colts at a time, great unit but pricey.

Jumper
05-01-2010, 16:11
You can use dry media in the thumler.

I know. But it doesn't clean the primer pockets like the SS media and soap.

kubura
05-01-2010, 20:51
Thank you all.

I'll give "Cabelas" 400 tumbler a try. Reviews are very positive.

I was leaning towards Dillon, but they also give 1 year warranty only on all their electronics. Called Dillon this morning to check how much they charge to repair the tumbler if it goes bad after one year. The cust. serv. rep told me it would cost $110 plus shipping!!!:wow: The new one is $140 for crying out loud!:upeyes:

I'll see how Cabelas tumbler performs.

Thanks again.:wavey:

MarioS
05-03-2010, 04:28
Oh, well that's not good. I've got a FA tumbler.

At least it didn't cost very much.

proraptor
05-03-2010, 15:27
Lyman or Dillon...both are nice but the dillon is the quietest Ive used