Anyone hunted wild Boar with 357 mag? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone hunted wild Boar with 357 mag?

Manzoli7
05-01-2010, 09:59
Anyone ever hunted wild boar with 4 inch L frame 357 magnume revolver. If so what type of bullet at what velocity did you use? How big was the boar?

Maybe it would take a bigger caliber?

noway
05-02-2010, 05:15
yes for 357mag and no for a 4" bbl.

I would opt for more barrel length for the following reason;

better sight view
better velocity

I used a 6" 686 with the earlier 180gr Corbon hunter bullets. It did not do all that great, but I did stop it and was able to finish the animal. Bullets did pass all the way thru and where JSP. I believe the lead is too hard in that bullet or maybe the jacketing , to gain any real deformation and expansion. This was on a TN boar that came in around 250lbs.

If you insist on 357mag at least get away from a 4" bbl, & I would get the heaviest lead hardcast bullet, longest barrel and fire right behind the shoulder. I would not even go with a lung/heart shot or anything towards the rear. A shoulder shot would be ideal and best for stopping the hog, eliminated any heavy tracking ,and so on

If your hunting with dogs and you bay up the animal, this would allow close in shots and then you can go anywhere with more ease if the shot is allowable and no dogs are in the way. You can get away with a 4"'er more so with bay'd hogs and very close quarters shots.

I personally would rather go with more gun and a bigger bullet caliber wise. A 44mag or 45colt or 454casull would be ideal for a wild boar hog from 100-400lbs. With keith style bullet that ways at least 250grains or more.

duncan
06-12-2010, 18:49
Noway's right