Logic is Defied...need help from bigger brains [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Logic is Defied...need help from bigger brains

unit 900
05-01-2010, 15:07
I spent several satisfying minutes looking at the excellent WWII pics that were recommended in GNG ... http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured/2010/03/18/captured-blog-the-pacific-and-adjacent-theaters/
I liked the pics so much, I saved the 'page' as an HTM file. The size of the entire file is about 130kb according to its properties. All the pics are included. Each picture (there are dozens) is a .jpg of about 120 kb. I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, and at the risk of appearing semi moronic, how can a 130 kb file contain dozens of .jpgs, each of approximately the same size? If I save it as a complete web page, it jumps to 17mb. The only difference appears to be that the .jpgs are each saved separately, but the size remains the same. My head hurts, any explanation is appreciated.

prism
05-01-2010, 16:11
the "html save" may have links to the distant pictures.

view the "html save", then try viewing the properties of one of the pictures.

JimmyN
05-01-2010, 17:39
I'll vouch for what prism said.

When you save it as an .html file it makes sure that all links contain the full path. So when you view the html locally the browser is running the script from your drive, but it is still fetching all the pictures, javascript, and .css files from the denverpost.com server.
Advantage: You only use a small amount of disk space.
Disadvantage: Viewing will be slower as you're still retrieving everything from their server.

When you save it as a complete web page it creates a subfolder by the same name, which will contain all the images, javascript, etc. And in the html file all the links will be changed to point to that local folder.
Advantage: Much faster viewing since everything is on your drive.
Disadvantage: Uses a lot more disk space.

unit 900
05-02-2010, 07:18
Thanks for the clarification. My head no longer hurts.

stooxie
05-03-2010, 03:48
Firefox (just an example) has a pulldown menu in the Save dialog that gives you the option of saving just the HTML or all the associated files (jpegs, gifs, etc).

-Stooxie