Slide stop spring too weak? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Slide stop spring too weak?

JohnKSa
05-01-2010, 22:28
I had one of my Gen 2, two pin 17s lock open prematurely a couple of times today. The first time I guessed that it might have been bad thumb position, but I started paying closer attention to my grip and it locked open a secont time on the next shot string. The RO was also watching to see if my thumb was bumping the lever and he confirmed that it wasn't a grip/thumb position issue.

When I got the gun home I compared it to one of my Gen Three 17s and found that due to the extra pin in the 3 pin models the spring is under a good deal more tension in the 3 pin models than in the 2 pin models. This particular gun has a Glock extended lever on it and I'm thinking that the combination of the extended lever (a bit more mass out on the end of the lever which might make it move around more during recoil) and less tension on the spring due to the lack of the third pin is what was causing the problem.

Does anyone market a slightly more robust spring for the G17 slide stop?

Glockrunner
05-03-2010, 05:31
I had one of my Gen 2, two pin 17s lock open prematurely a couple of times today. The first time I guessed that it might have been bad thumb position, but I started paying closer attention to my grip and it locked open a secont time on the next shot string. The RO was also watching to see if my thumb was bumping the lever and he confirmed that it wasn't a grip/thumb position issue.

When I got the gun home I compared it to one of my Gen Three 17s and found that due to the extra pin in the 3 pin models the spring is under a good deal more tension in the 3 pin models than in the 2 pin models. This particular gun has a Glock extended lever on it and I'm thinking that the combination of the extended lever (a bit more mass out on the end of the lever which might make it move around more during recoil) and less tension on the spring due to the lack of the third pin is what was causing the problem.

Does anyone market a slightly more robust spring for the G17 slide stop?
I would have to reply, "Time for a new Slide Stop." I personally don't know of any extended stops with a beefier spring.

mteagle1
05-03-2010, 07:57
My parts list does not show an extended slide stop lever for a 2 pin G17. The part number should be SP00399 with a 406-2 stamped in the back.

JohnKSa
05-03-2010, 20:08
My parts list does not show an extended slide stop lever for a 2 pin G17.Direct hit.

I've made a slight modification (kludge :whistling:) to the part and the tension is now at the same level as my other pistols show.

Pretty careless of me to do the swap without checking properly first. At least the malfunction only cost me a few seconds on my time for the stage instead of possibly happening in an SD situation.