Malfunctioning Glock 23 except with Lone Wolf 357 SIG barrel [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Malfunctioning Glock 23 except with Lone Wolf 357 SIG barrel

ChiefWPD
05-02-2010, 14:15
JR:

My Glock 23 is not as reliable as it ought to be. It will not function reliably with a lite attached (except when using a ten round magazine), and it’s reliability with standard magazines is also unacceptable.

Here’s the story:

First, just a bit of my background. When in the NYPD for a time (as a sgt and lt) I served with the Firearms & Tactics Section. Among my assignments was the running of the Police Firearms Instructors School, Heavy Weapons Training and Research and Testing. I was involved in the initial study on the Glock handgun back in the late 1980s (remember the “plastic” handgun terrorist weapon that could go through any magnetometer…) prior to the department eventually adopting same. I mention this just so you know that I’m not completely unfamiliar with sidearms in general and Glocks in particular.

My Glock 23 came to me from Glock when they could not get my Glock 36 to work properly (my Glock 17 and 19 have always worked just fine, as did a Glock 26 I had for a while). This Glock 23 has never been the most reliable handgun and, when I tried to attach a lite, the gun would malfunction with every magazine full of ammo in her.

A bud of mine, and a very experienced Glock armorer and instructor (he used to work for the company and traveled around the world instructing for them) tried to help. All my magazines have the #8 follower and the 11 coil springs.

I took advantage of your “sale” last week and ordered a 357 SIG caliber barrel along with two captive stainless steel rod recoil springs (one for the 23, another for my 17).

I put your Lone Wolf 357 SIG barrel in my Glock 23 and, making the story a short one, had no malfunctions in 100 rounds of firing that caliber (all with the Federal 125 grain Premium load). The first two magazines were fired with the light removed, the remainder were with the light attached. No problems! Great!

Today I returned to the range, wanting to see if it was your recoil spring that had solved the problem. I fired fifty rounds of ammunition (Speer 180 grain Gold Dot), four magazines of 12 rounds each, with a loaded chamber each time. The results were:

With lite attached:
Mag #1 2 FTF (rounds dived)
Mag #2 3 FTF (rounds dived)

Without the lite attached:
Mag #3 1 FTF (rounds dived)
Mag #4 2 FTF (rounds dived)

As you might imagine, the Lone Wolf 357 SIG barrel is back in place. None the less, I’d love to get my Glock 23 firing .40 caliber ammo again.

I realize that fifty rounds do not a test make. However, I'd be interested in your thoughts and comments.

Thanks,

JR
05-02-2010, 20:47
I have seen a few finicky Glock pistols however they were all 9mm's. The 40 delivers ample power so feeding issues are rare but complete failures are even rarer! Looks like you changed followers and mag springs, this is where I would have recommended starting. You stated the failure was because the round dived? I assume you are describing the nose of the bullet sticking in the feed ramp. The fix to this issue is to simply polish the ramp. If the nose of the bullet sticks in the roof of the chamber you need to break the ramp at the chamber mouth and polish, or if possible, reduce the OAL of the cartridge.

My experience with the 357 feed issues were cleared immediately with a little feed ramp polish. A little polish on the feed ramp was all I ever had to do with "the pocket rocket". The seem to run great right out of the box, factory or aftermarket barrels, either one.

I know a very experienced LE instructor that traveled the world for Glock Inc teaching others to be factory Armorers and LE instructors, any chance you are talking about Frank DiNuzzo? If not, he is still in your area. I would be happy to give him a call and see if he had time to look this one over.

ChiefWPD
05-03-2010, 07:05
....any chance you are talking about Frank DiNuzzo? If not, he is still in your area. I would be happy to give him a call and see if he had time to look this one over.

My pal is Peter Tarley, now with the Rockland County NY Police Academy, but I'd love for Frank to give me a call.

PD #508-349-3702

Thanks again!

JR
05-03-2010, 10:38
Message sent to Frank