Plated ? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Plated ?

sjones
05-02-2010, 17:04
Should you use the same data for lead as you do for plated?like rainier or berrys?Thanks. sj

XDRoX
05-02-2010, 17:12
Plated falls right in between lead and jacketed. To be safe you can use lead data. But in reality I think it's closer to jacketed.

Just don't try to break any speed records and you should be fine.

HAMMERHEAD
05-02-2010, 18:47
We, at Rainier Ballistics, recommend using lead bullet load data when loading our bullets. There is no need for adjustment when using lead bullet load data. Our bullets are jacketed using an electroplating process and are softer than traditionally jacketed bullets; hence the recommendation to use lead bullet load data. If you only have access to traditionally jacketed load data, we recommend reducing maximum charge by 10%. A roll or taper crimp may be used with our bullets; do not over crimp.

Rainier plated bullets work for me at the lower lead velocities (9mm, .38 spl) and they work great at 1,260 fps too (.38 Super, near max jacketed data).

Good stuff Maynard.

Never shot Berry's.

fredj338
05-02-2010, 20:04
They act more like a lead bullet than jacketed, soft cores w/ very thin plating. Most are slightly oversize, like lead bullets. So it is prudent to use lead data for your starting point.

buckshotshorty
05-02-2010, 20:39
Just to add to the confusion, I asked this same question to the folks at Berry's. The reply I got stated that as long as you don't exceed 1200 fps it's ok to use load data for fmj with Berry's plated.

I typically will load Berry bullets using low to medium fmj loads. Never had a problem.

VN350X10
05-02-2010, 21:50
Best bet with plated bullets is using a taper crimp.
If you roll crimp too hard, you cut the plating layer & all kind of funny things happen !
I personally use a 240 gr hp from Berry's in my .44 AutoMag, as it duplicates the original factory bullet shape. Over a chrono, they see 1300+fps, so if the plating stays intact, nothing bad happens. This round uses a very heavy taper crimp, but zero problems !
RCBS offers a taper crimp die for .38 spl/.357 mag....the S&W model 52 target auto needs flush seated bullets w/taper crimp to function properly, so I know the dies exist, you might have to look a bit.

load safe !

uncle albert

FlyfishermanMike
05-02-2010, 23:29
It depends. With .45 that doesn't go very fast anyways I will load the same as FMJ. However, I worked up to that. Berry's has said that 800-900fps with a .45 is optimum. With a faster bullet I'd start lower and work up, just like usual.

dbarry
05-03-2010, 00:15
I shoot berry's almost exclusively in my reloads. Mainly in my 9mm, 45acp, and 45gap. Great bullet. Ditto on XD and fred's comments - go with lead for your starting point.

also -lots of folks complain about dirty powders - I found when I switched from lead to plated, I had no "dirty" loads. The lube on my lead bullets is where most of my dirt/soot came from.

Steve in PA
05-03-2010, 06:08
I reload Rainier in my 9mm and .45's the same way I was reloading regular jacketed bullets. No problems or issues.