Shot my first match using my cast bullets. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Shot my first match using my cast bullets.

Colorado4Wheel
05-02-2010, 17:25
It was ordinary. I didn't feel it hindered me at all. Had a nice breeze which is normal for Colorado anyway. Came in 3rd overall in "Production" and was the 2nd "B". It was not a great match for me but was not bad either. For me the most interesting part was that shooting lead "today" was a non-issue. I honestly had not planned on shooting lead today but I had sighted the gun in with these bullets and didn't know which way to go to get the thing sighted back in for my jacketed. I will probably just shoot my lead from this point forward. Considering shooting lead never really bothers me and I can save $280 or more every couple months it is worth it to me.

Wash-ar15
05-02-2010, 18:16
I shoot lead whenever I can unless its not allowed,like when I am shooting at an indoor range. the only downside is the smoke. I'll probably continue to do so till the FMJ comes down.

robin303
05-02-2010, 19:21
Outstanding Steve. :thumbsup:Were you shooting pistol or rifle. I'm always 3rd from the last.:rofl:The last four matches I have gone to I had my reloads ready and packed but the next morning I pull them out and unload all my mags and use factory. Then I take the reloads to the range and shoot them off and they all go bang. I just don't want a FTF in front of all those people.:embarassed:

FM12
05-02-2010, 19:34
Good for you! I shoot a lot of lead my own self, only thing I hate is the smoke, learn to shoot thru it.

buyobuyo
05-02-2010, 19:50
Congrats. I'm getting geared up to start casting myself. Just finished sorting about 1.5 5-gal buckets of wheel weights, so I need to start casting.

What bullet are you shooting? I have some 121gr RN and 147gr RN-FP that a friend cast, I'm going to try out. Both are Lyman molds.

GioaJack
05-02-2010, 19:53
Smoke? If you ain't standing in the middle of a forest fire or at a black powder match it ain't smoky. Wussies.

Jack

Colorado4Wheel
05-02-2010, 20:47
Congrats. I'm getting geared up to start casting myself. Just finished sorting about 1.5 5-gal buckets of wheel weights, so I need to start casting.

What bullet are you shooting? I have some 121gr RN and 147gr RN-FP that a friend cast, I'm going to try out. Both are Lyman molds.

I am using the Lyman 147gr RN/FP you describe. It cast at 155gr with out lube. Nice enough bullet. I am probably going to try the Lee 125gr Double Radius one more time.

Outstanding Steve. :thumbsup:Were you shooting pistol or rifle. I'm always 3rd from the last.:rofl:The last four matches I have gone to I had my reloads ready and packed but the next morning I pull them out and unload all my mags and use factory. Then I take the reloads to the range and shoot them off and they all go bang. I just don't want a FTF in front of all those people.:embarassed:

This is USPSA shooting. I case gauge all my ammo so I know it will chamber and I have been shooting my own reloads for years. I don't worry about that. Most people shoot reloads anyway.

Zombie Steve
05-02-2010, 22:25
Good stuff. Welcome to the grey side...

srd
05-03-2010, 05:29
Congratulations Steve !! I was tempted to order that mold and hone it to obtain 160 grains with my mix. I found a load my gun loves with the 160's and Solo 1000. Who says casting doesnt pay for itself. If you can save roughly 150.00 a month it doesnt take long to pay for the equitment.

Colorado4Wheel
05-03-2010, 06:51
They are right at 156gr with the lube.

Brucev
05-03-2010, 07:04
Your experience with cast lead in practice and match use mirrors my own. For many years I have had thoroughly excellent results using cast lead bullets in my various revolvers and pistols. I have used lead bullets in some local handgun matches. I have shot a lot of vintage military rifle matches using cast bullets. Initially I used cast bullets for economical practice. There came a day when lack of loaded rounds combined with an intense desire to participate in a club match led me to take my practice ammo and head for the range. The results were simply remarkable... one of the best matches I'd ever fired. I now only use lead bullets for vintage military rifle matches. I also very much enjoy using cast bullets for my 1911 .45ACP pistol and my S&W revolvers (.38 Special/.357 S&W Mag.; .45ACP). I do not currently use cast bullets in my .40 S&W Glock G-22. Once I get dies, etc., I will most assuredly be working up a load for practice.