anyone have a favorite pistol for women? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : anyone have a favorite pistol for women?

1sgranger75
05-02-2010, 18:42
What do most of the girls carry? Thinking of buying my wife a new pistol for mother's day. She currently has a .380 keltec, we are leaning toward the new Taurus slim line. But we are interested in what the others are shooting.

Thanks

mitchshrader
05-02-2010, 18:52
My recommended is the 39- series 9mm lady smith. Heavy, but a slick straight shooter.

kcb
05-02-2010, 18:58
I have the same question. I currently have a .38 Taurus. A friend of my husband's has offered to buy it for what we paid.

I have taken it to the range one time, and the recoil was a little too much for me to handle

I am VERY petite and have VERY petite hands. I need something that is very small and something that has little recoil...but that will be a good self-defense weapon.

?????? I'm anxious to know. I have an opportunity to do something now.

pennlineman
05-02-2010, 19:35
My Wife carries her M-36 Lady Smith in 38 spl more than any other gun she owns.

pilsbury
05-02-2010, 19:37
my wife carries a S&W .38 SPL snub

drpdw
05-02-2010, 21:39
I carry my Glock 26 85% of the time and my Kel-Tec PF9 when I need a smaller CCW. With the GAP mag floorplates I recently installed on the Glock 26, I can't tell you what a difference it makes. I have small hands and find it easy to handle. The Crimson Trace laser grips are an added plus...should I even need them in a low-light situation or when I would not be able to use the iron sites or have to use one hand. I exercise my G-26 once a week, with the laser aperture covered for all but the last magazine, so that I can use the iron sites. The Glock 26 is a fine weapon for carry. At the range, however, my SIG P239 is an exceptional target pistol but being a compact, it is too large for me to carry.
-drpdw

DragonLibra
05-03-2010, 17:42
There's a lot of selection out there. My advice is if possible go to a range that rents guns or if you have friends that will let you try out their guns at the range. That way you will get a gun you are comfortable with.

Consider if you are going to carry on your body, in a pocket, a fanny pack or a purse. I'd say a heavy gun gets uncomfortable after awhile.

Personally for accuracy and a nice trigger pull I favor the semi-autos. And many of the new semi-autos come with adjustable grips which is great for the smaller female hand. Also there are grip reductions available from some good gunsmiths out there.

I'm female and have carried a hangun since the mid-90's.

My carry guns at the moment are a Glock 26, Glock 19, a S&W airweight in 38, and a Ruger LCP. Everyday I have one or more of these with me.

I also shoot in IDPA competition a S&W M&P or a Glock 17.

I have also owned a Sig228, a Glock 34 and a Springfield XD.

I know from meeting many women at IDPA competitions and at the range if they have a handgun that fits them well women can shoot just about any make or caliber of handgun and shoot it well.

Thx-1138
05-06-2010, 09:00
My wife loved the weight on her Taurus UltraLite .38, but hated the trigger pull & recoil. She loved the trigger pull on Glocks, but didn't like the weight of the full-sized or the size of the grip on any of them.

She fell in love with a S&W M&P 9c. Smaller grip than any Glock, trigger pull relatively light like a Glock, and light enough for her to carry. She's scary-accurate with it.

rboatright
05-06-2010, 19:17
What do most of the girls carry? Thinking of buying my wife a new pistol for mother's day. She currently has a .380 keltec, we are leaning toward the new Taurus slim line. But we are interested in what the others are shooting.

Thanks

The favorite pistol for women is the one they like the best.

At the local range I see women who's favorite gun is everything from a full sized Kimber to Bera 380's to .22's.

I don't buy guns for my wife, I just pay for the ones she chooses to get.

rboatright
05-06-2010, 19:29
I have the same question. I currently have a .38 Taurus. A friend of my husband's has offered to buy it for what we paid.

I have taken it to the range one time, and the recoil was a little too much for me to handle

I am VERY petite and have VERY petite hands. I need something that is very small and something that has little recoil...but that will be a good self-defense weapon.

?????? I'm anxious to know. I have an opportunity to do something now.

Well, my 4 foot 10 inch niece likes her Tangfolio Force Compact in 9mm, although she suggests that the Kimber aegis in 9mm is almost as nice for her.

She points out (rightly) that a somewhat heavier gun absorbs recoil and makes it far more comfortable for her to shoot, so she tends towards metal guns rather than polymer.

Yes, they're heavier to CARRY but with small slim frames in single stack like most 1911's, they're good for her small hands and have excellent recoil characteristics.

zysus
05-07-2010, 17:14
Recoil is mostly psychological. With practice even a small woman can handle a large caliber.

If you don't believe me, check out Massad Ayoob's Daughter winning competitions with a 1911 in .45 at age 13.

He wrote this very good article: "Armed and Female."
http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/ayoob63.html

I suggest reading it.

mitchshrader
05-07-2010, 17:27
Not to mention, .38 specials commonly are from 12 - 24 oz, and ammo is commonly from 175-350 ft lbs of energy. With max power and minimum weight, the lightest gun and the most powerful ammo, the difference is a factor of 16.

That's right, the heaviest rounds in the lightest gun is 16 times the felt recoil of the other way around.

So if your taurus is a steel frame, go to some powder puff ammo, some wadcutters or cowboy RNL. I don't know what you shot, or what your taurus weighs.. but you may need other grips and that matters much. Light ammo, rubber grips, and shoot it a lot.

Now, if that model taurus is a light alloy frame, then trading to something in a steel frame is moving in the right direction. I've taught several women to shoot with a plain jane service .38, and I wouldn't pick a snubbie due to muzzle blast, not noise. You need good hearing protection, and eye protection, and rubber grips that work for you.. and then shoot it a lot.

Really. If you didn't try two or three variations on snubbie, you havn't given it a fair trial. All my J frames are 3" barrels, for example, and steel frames, just so I'll have easier shooters. I can't get close to the same accuracy with a 2" barrel, or an airweight.

DeltaNu1142
05-07-2010, 17:45
With practice even a small woman can handle a large caliber.
I've always found that to be the case.

oldgraygeek
05-08-2010, 12:46
My wife doesn't like 9mm because it seems "weak" to her, and I don't like it because my son found them ineffective in Iraq. (He's the reason I carry 10mm). She's 5'5" with petite hands, but she handles my Glock 20 & 29, and her Taurus 608 (http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=250&category=Revolver&toggle=&breadcrumbseries=), very well.

She generally prefers revolvers and .357 Magnum. When (or if: Delaware is 'may-issue') her CCDW permit arrives, we're considering a S&W 327 Night Guard (http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&productId=67969&tabselected=tech&isFirearm=Y&parent_category_rn=) for her primary carry gun. Until it arrives, she will carry our J-frame .38 Special... so I'll really be looking forward to her having those three extra rounds, and that extra load of Magnum goodness, in the Night Guard.

GreyEclipse
05-08-2010, 18:49
Recoil is mostly psychological. With practice even a small woman can handle a large caliber.

If you don't believe me, check out Massad Ayoob's Daughter winning competitions with a 1911 in .45 at age 13.

I suggest reading it.

Nice read, thanks.

rboatright
05-09-2010, 13:22
My wife doesn't like 9mm because it seems "weak" to her, and I don't like it because my son found them ineffective in Iraq. (He's the reason I carry 10mm).

When your son was carrying 9mm in Iraq, because it was a military application was he required to carry FMJ?

9mm with appropriate bullets looks pretty darned effective from every study I've seen, especially Michael and Amy Courtney's data. Their studies appear unarguable to me.

See for example: http://arxiv.org/ftp/physics/papers/0702/0702107.pdf

Now, I'm not moving this to caliber corner, and arguing that 9mm is better than 10mm or that a bigger bullets aren't better... but that according to the data I can find, with appropriate loads, 9mm looks "good enough"

labrat
05-18-2010, 17:04
Got this for my wife on Mother's Day.
http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff352/BuddyL_01/DSC01132.jpg
She seems to like it.

WWJGD
05-18-2010, 19:07
I love my G19, but find that many of my female friends have trouble handling it. I do have big hands for a woman, and many of the gals I know do better with a single-stack. I also have a .38 snub, but it's a pain to shoot (literally). It really is a "just in case" gun, for when outfits won't allow for the G19 concealed.

Personally, I went to a range that has rentals and shot several different guns before deciding on the G19 as my primary weapon. That's what I always recommend to women. Try several, and buy what feels best. Otherwise, she'll never practice with it.

platform
05-23-2010, 19:01
if you have long but slim palm and less than average grip strength (or just wrist pain)

highly recommend STI LS9 (9mm) or something that has similar to STI's dual spring recoil master (or similar)

LS 9 is probably the thinnest 9mm (0.75 across the slide)
perfect 1911-style trigger, grip safety, and very very easy to slide
(easier than 40 or so other models we tried)

One model I had experience with did not work with CCI blazer and Ruger ammo (so had to send it for life time warranty service for tun eup), another more recent model works fine with any ammo.

this is a 'purse cary' gun in hot climates.

FollowTheRoad
05-27-2010, 20:41
My recommended is the 39- series 9mm lady smith. Heavy, but a slick straight shooter.

yeah, very good choice

Hubadub
05-28-2010, 02:45
You might want to give the Kahr PM9 a look.Easy to conceal,very manageable recoil and rated for +P ammunition.I know several women who carry them and shoot them very well.They like the lack of weight as well as the fact that the 9mm hollow point round packs a wallop.

PATRICE
05-29-2010, 19:19

sawgrass
05-29-2010, 21:33
.45 Colt Defender

ha ha almost hard to see what you did there.
Abso effen lutely!! My personal favorite.

PATRICE
05-30-2010, 07:26

ExxoticOne
05-30-2010, 08:35
What do most of the girls carry?

It really depends on my mood, what I'm wearing, where I'm going, what I'll be doing, etc. I like variety.

Lone_Wolfe
06-05-2010, 08:26
Sawgrass, hello...hope you & yours are all well.

Hhmmm...well, I occasionally can't help doing a post in this subforum, but I try to keep a very low profile while here. [I've had some negative reception from some of the ladies who get upset when I express sentiments relating to the men-of-the-GT-women's-subforum foisting unsolicited opinions upon us.]

But, I digress--yes, ballistically, I prefer .45acp for off the property. I've been shooting a lot of 9mm, and even in the lighter-bullet-weight-hollow-point standard-pressure cartridges, I feel there's too much risk of target "over-penetration" than I'm comfortable with.... I feel that a large slow-moving bullet is less likely to completely pass through a target and do the collateral-damage thing. [But that's just me....]--Patrice

No need to avoid the forum, just put the guys you don't like on your ignore list instead of attacking them. There's plenty of room for different viewpoints here. :wavey:

PATRICE
09-27-2010, 17:01

Lone_Wolfe
09-27-2010, 20:01
Dearest LW,

Hello, I just saw your post...(long story, but frequently I don't follow-up with my own posts--for a variety of reasons). Thankyou for the encouragement. Yes, when my ignore list got up to about 18 or so...all of them were men, save for one woman who requested that I place her on my ignore list...so I have pretty much have acted in accordance with said recommendations (both yours & hers :cool).

However, it's not the men-of-the-GT-Women's-Subforum that frequently makes me want to keep a low profile; it's the women who so staunchly support them in their endeavors, here. Whereas, I have no problem defending my perspective against the guys...I have no inclination to create dissension amongst the Ladies of GT. We have enough trouble maintaining solidarity, as it is...without fighting amongst ourselves.

Now, as regards attacking anyone....To my knowledge, no one has chosen to report any of my posts to the moderators as being "inappropriate." At least if they have, I have not been apprised by the moderators of said report(s). I think they do a good job of policing the sub-forums, so I'll take my cues & direction from them.

Obviously, given my flurry of posts the past several days...I have somewhat abandoned my low profile stance. Although, some of that is secondary to being off-line for a few weeks; just got a new computer. My old one crashed, so I'm just catching up a little bit.

I hope this post finds you well. :eagle:

Sincerely,
Patrice

P.S. I currently have no women on my ignore list.

Hi PATRICE,

Bummer about the computer, I know what a pain that can be. :yuck: Hope you were at least able to save any data you wanted.

You make a good point about the difference of opinions of men participating here. I saw your comment about how the women’s section on some boards isn’t even accessible to men and it gave me an idea. I wonder if we could have a section within this sub-forum that only we ladies could see, but the rest of this area stay like it is. I have to laugh though, when a man posts a question in here and all his answers are from other men. If I see that’s happened I usually leave the thread alone. If the OP says he/she wants to hear from women I’ll offer something if I have knowledge of the subject and the desire to talk about it.

I see it as a case of taking the good with the bad, and trying to just roll my eyes at the bad and forget it. There’s always going to be arrogant and condescending men talking down to us, and at times I wish it was legal to phaser them out of the time-space continuum, but my phaser batteries are dead. :supergrin: So I’ve just stuck a couple of them on my ignore list too. Probably some of the same ones. Anyway, stick around. Maybe if we outnumber the men in here they’ll get afraid we’ll all get PMS at the same time. :whistling: :rofl:

Thank you, I hope you’re well too. :wavey:

Mr V
10-04-2010, 22:04
Everybody is differant.
My wifes two choices are:
Firestar (no longer made and all steel) in 9mm (think really small 1911 type gun).
Heavy for its size but recoil is next to nothing.
SIG 229 in 357Sig with short trigger and crimson trace laser.

KDawg0007
10-05-2010, 04:14
My wife is comfortable with the .380 and carries a raspberry lcp that she is in love with. Her G19 rests on the nightstand for HD duty but is too large for her to carry concealed. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
She just saw a pink framed Kahr P380 and said she has to have it. I let her decide what she likes and doesn't like and just provide the funds. Having her decide what she wants to try and letting her choose for herself seems to work well for us. It also gets us to the range together. <o:p></o:p>

Misty02
10-10-2010, 09:16
My primary carry is a G19; for occasions where the dress code requires something more discrete that disappears and it’s completely unnoticeable, the Ruger LCP.

.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Misty02
10-10-2010, 09:21

I suggest reading it.

I believe it. I’ve fired as high as the S&W Magnum 500, granted I needed someone standing behind me so I wouldn’t land flat on my back; but it was a blast!!! (figuratively and literally) I would fire it again tomorrow if someone else was paying for the rental and all the ammo I wanted. :supergrin:

.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

PATRICE
10-17-2010, 08:50

JeepnGrl99
10-18-2010, 06:54

Thanks

I've got a G22 and G27. Might look into a G36.

Lone_Wolfe
10-19-2010, 15:51
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------: eagle:
Hhhmmm....I think we have reached a meeting of the minds---with our remaining differences attributible to our different histories (a significant part of which, I would believe is due to your having been through wars that I have not). I would certainly support your notion of having a house-divided, with an inner-sanctum visible only to women. However do you suppose those individuals who have threatened to leave if this sub-forum were ever "restricted" would honor said public vow, in that cirumstance???:dunno:[Not that it would bother me, terribly. I mean we're all adults, and I am committed to the whole self-determination thing.: whistling:] I am curious about your perspective re: why guys just kinda hang out here??? I think I understand that there are some gentle-men who are just more comfortable in a predominantly women's environment---I don't think those guys are likely to try to colonize or dominate the sub-forum.] It's the other's about whom I have a genuine intellectual curiosity, ya' know?

Well, I'm still coveting a Colt Delta Elite (10mm) and one more 9mm pistol...but, I'm afraid I'm also reverting to my earlier preference for revolvers. I'm using a Lady Smith (.357) as a house-gun, and still using the 6" Rossi (.357) to walk the property--or to travel between the houses/structures when we have a big cat or other such animal in the area. {I recently purchased some 180gr .357 hardcast for those occasions---it was a very, very big kitty.]--Patrice

Our differences is what makes us unique. What a boring world it would be if we agreed about everything. War and my experiences here and in Afghanistan certainly had changed me more than I could have ever imagined, enough that I sometimes wonder what was I thinking…. I would think that the women who are opposed to a restricted forum wouldn’t be as bothered by a restricted section nearly as much, and probably just wouldn’t bother to partake. Myself, I would visit and be part of both. I can only imagine the hen party we could have in there. :supergrin:

Why do I think men come around? Several reasons. I think there’s the ones who really want to learn something that might help their spouse/SO, there’s the type that feels like they’re naturally smarter and can ‘help the little ladies out’. Those ones get the :rolleyes: from me and a click of the back button. I think there’s some that are more curious that anything, maybe they don’t know any ladies in RL that have any interest in guns or self-defense. I used to see that when I would go to the range, men would come around just to talk to me and see what makes me tick. Sometimes they asked me how I could get the lady in their life interested in guns. I see a lot of that here, but rarely join those conversations. There’s also a small contingent of men who are just arrogant and are going to talk down to women. There’s been a few of them that make me say “Where’s Patrice when we need her?” :rofl:

As for the 2nd part of your post…. Surely you’re not afraid of a KITTY?!?!?!
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff10/Lone_Wolfe_/Kitties/HerHighness.jpg

:supergrin: :wavey:

PATRICE
10-19-2010, 19:08

Lone_Wolfe
10-21-2010, 17:21
Hhmmm....Only when the kitty is bigger than the St. Bernard. I've always maintained that it would kill me to have to kill a cat, but my spouse pointed out that circumstances could arise where it might kill me if I didn't kill it. But...the deer are back, so we're thinking that the cat moved on for now (their range can be between 5-20miles, generally in something like a figure-8 pattern).--Patrice

P.S. The St. Bernard killed a 5+ ft bullsnake last night (just about softball-size girth). She was quite proud of her work, and made quite the point of showing it to my spouse this morning.

Haha, I hear you. I was just kidding about the kitty, plus it made a good excuse to post up a pic of my pretty calico kitty. BTW, the only thing you'd have to fear from that old cat is having your hand fall off from petting her so much. :supergrin:

That's a big snake! :outtahere: