Scope for Marlin 795? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Scope for Marlin 795?

macville
05-02-2010, 21:34
Hey guys, I've done some googling on scopes for my Marlin 795 and there have been some posts with suggestions for scopes. However, many of them were a few years old and I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions for a decent scope. I'm really looking to pay no more than $80 as that's about what it would cost for tech-sights. I like to shoot in my field at 100 yards, so I feel a scope would be a better buy since I find sights to be a very big post on a very small target.

Thanks,

Matthew

CMG
05-02-2010, 21:51
I use a Simmons 1.5x-5x 32mm on my 717M2, which is very close in size and weight to the 795.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b175/pb9x19/M717M2.jpg

macville
05-05-2010, 06:25
Anyone have any more suggestions? Does anyone know if I need a rimfire scope, or will a scope designed to go on a bigger caliber gun still work just as well?

Matthew

gforester
05-05-2010, 06:35
Anyone have any more suggestions? Does anyone know if I need a rimfire scope, or will a scope designed to go on a bigger caliber gun still work just as well?

Matthew

What you have to determine is the type of mounting your rifle has. My Marlin has a receiver with a machined groove in it, often referred to as a "rimfire" style, similar to what an airsoft uses. Other rifles may have a Weaver or Picatinny style. Just make sure your scope has the correct style mounting rings, otherwise you may have to buy an adapter of some sort.

Just this weekend I picked up a NcStar 3x9x30mm scope at a gunshow for my rifle. I had to find some different rings for my scope because it came with Weaver mounting rings and I have the rimfire grooved mounting. Don't forget to take into consideration the height of the mounting rings too, they must be tall enough to prevent your optic from contacting the barrel or receiver of your rifle once mounted. Not really a big deal, but something you have to plan for.

trickyvic
05-08-2010, 15:08
I've been very impressed with the Simmons 22mag. I have it mounted on my Marlin 60, I think it's a great scope for the price. If you want to step up, a Mueller APV will run you about $115 and is a very nice scope.

macville
05-10-2010, 15:52
Okay, it seems with many scopes, the big issue is the attaching rings. Does anyone have suggestions for better rings to fit on a 795 if the rings that come with a scope suck?

Matthew

trickyvic
05-10-2010, 16:12
Okay, it seems with many scopes, the big issue is the attaching rings. Does anyone have suggestions for better rings to fit on a 795 if the rings that come with a scope suck?

Matthew

The rings that come with most rimfire scopes are terrible. Marlins dovetail grove is infamous for being out-of-spec and most suffer from the scope "walking" or sliding rearward.

I recommend the leapers accushot 1-pc mount, it solved the walking problem on my Marlin 60.

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Leapers_Accushot_1_Pc_Mount_w_1_Rings_3_8_Dovetail/805

mboylan
05-10-2010, 20:34
If you are shooting at 100 yards, I really recommend the Mueller. It's not far out of your price range. You will be extremely disappointed with anything less.

macville
05-17-2010, 07:09
I got the Simmons 22 MAG and I've got to say that I am really happy with it considering it only cost $47 shipped. Got it roughly zeroed after about 20 shots. The optics are very bright and sharp. We'll see how it holds up over a year or two of use, but it looks to be pretty well made. Now, if I could just hold the dang rifle steady enough...;)

BigJoe13
05-17-2010, 16:19
I got a cheap BSA (at Wally World) on my Marlin 925R. Very happy with it.

LA_357SIG
05-18-2010, 20:00
I bought a 3/8" Centerpoint 3-9x33mm scope (mil dot) from Walmart for $59.99 for my son's 795. I mounted it and after well over 3500 rounds it kept zero and didn't budge.

I replaced the supplied rings with some low mount weaver brand 3/8" rings and during an Appleseed shoot it walked back on the rail.