Marlin 795 vs 10/22 Triggers & Accuracy [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 795 vs 10/22 Triggers & Accuracy

Tarkio
05-02-2010, 21:55
Decided to buy a decent semi 22. Then saw an Appleseed shoot coming this way in 2 weeks.

So now I have some motivation to get this done.

Question:
How is the trigger on a Marlin 795?

Can anything be done to improve it, if necessary? Simple aftermarket work?

How is the trigger on the new 10/22?

I know there are aftermarket drop-ins etc available.

How do these 2 compare to one another?

I am tempted by the Marlin, but the last Marlin I bought, which was the LAST Marlin I bought and thought I would ever buy had an absolute terrible trigger. I vowed to never go there again.

Convince me to eat my words or get the 10/22.

Or...... direct me towards something else that is straightforward, good-shooting semi that isn't too expensive (less than $300). I can maybe spend more if it means I need fewer aftermarket changes which equate to more $ spent ultimately.

Usagi
05-03-2010, 21:06
I have purchased a new 795 within the last 6 months. My BIL purchased a new 10/22 within the last month (which I have shot / worked on). Some thoughts:

Trigger-
About the same between the two.
- Best way to get a good trigger on a Ruger is with an aftermarket part. There are several from which to choose.
- The 795 took me about 10 minutes to do a trigger job. If you want, PM me and I'll send you a link to a good tutorial.

Aftermarket-
Belongs to Ruger.
Marlin has more than you might think. Again, a PM and I'll send you a link to another forum where many Marlin aftermarket products can be found.

Ruger will - on average - shoot 1" groups at 25 yards. Some are better some are worse. I've seen that and worse. I've only heard of better.

Marlins are more accurate out of the box. A 795 (or 60) and 10 minutes on the trigger produces a rifle whose precision and reliability can only be matched by a Ruger plus $300-$500 of after-market part.

Marlins eat more types of ammo without hiccups. Sure, they have preferences, but Rugers are known to be very finicky without an aftermarket bolt.

Conclusion:
If you like to tinker and want to spend a little on it... the Ruger is for you.
If you want simple & effective as-is... the Marlin wins hands-down.
The Marlin is also only half the price of the Ruger, FWIW.

ETA: I own a 10/22, a 60, and a 795.

Jesu27
05-03-2010, 21:28
My buddies and I have made incredible shots with my stock 795. Cant F with Marlin's microgroove barrels.