Something I noticed loading XTP's tonight... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Something I noticed loading XTP's tonight...

Zombie Steve
05-02-2010, 22:23
I was loading 124 grain 9mm XTP's, and I noticed something I haven't seen before. When the seater plug seats the bullet, the size of the hollow point cavity shrinks. I usually use the flat / swc plug for XTP's in .45 auto and colt... they are pretty flat at the tip and I never saw this before.

With the 9mm, they are pretty pointed to begin with. The plug for fmj seems to pinch them worse.

Anyone else ever notice this? Any thoughts as to if / how terminal performance would be affected? I know we're talking about a bullet known to expand a little and dig deep, but it got me wondering.

????????

:dunno:

srd
05-03-2010, 05:39
Yes. It wasnt the same brand of bullet you are using though. I changed to a different seater plug that didnt collapse them in the center as much and did some accuracy testing off the bench. There wasnt any difference on paper at 25 yards. What it will do as far as expansion in the real world i cant answer.

Randy from Kansas
05-03-2010, 09:02
I too load the 124g XTP and do have some problems when seating the bullet but my problems are trying to use a compressed load and the Hornady bullet distorting. I had to back off the charge a little to keep of deforming the bullet.

The 9mm case is a bit small and have had to watch this even with my cast bullets.

buyobuyo
05-04-2010, 22:41
I didn't notice any deformation while making up test batches the other day using the same bullet.

What brand seater die are you using? I'm using a Lee die set.

Zombie Steve
05-04-2010, 22:48
Rcbs.

Pat T
05-06-2010, 19:19
I noticed with my RCBS seater plug for FMJ that from the factory it let the RN bullets wobble too much off center due to the overly broad flatness of the tip area. I had my brother carve it into more of a cone shape at his shop during lunch hour and it's been great for RN bullets since. I mention this because with the factory profile it's possible that the transition area from mostly flat to conical is the area that's smooshing your XTPs in... I used this seater plug after modding to seat 124 grain gold dots with no distortion. Maybe this would help? FWIW.

Colorado4Wheel
05-06-2010, 20:15
My seating plug was deforming my lead bullets. I made a custom plug using JB Weld. Pretty simple really.

Zombie Steve
05-06-2010, 21:12
My seating plug was deforming my lead bullets. I made a custom plug using JB Weld. Pretty simple really.

Heck of an idea. I'd need a different plug for different profiles, but it couldn't be that expensive...

Colorado4Wheel
05-06-2010, 21:19
Heck of an idea. I'd need a different plug for different profiles, but it couldn't be that expensive...

I used JB Weld, But the next time I am using some epoxy that is more like putty. I have it on my bench already. Just haven't done it. Hornady sells its stems for about $7 I think.