Reloading and Fluted Chambers [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Reloading and Fluted Chambers

chemcmndr
05-03-2010, 09:47
Does anyone have experience with repeated reloading in fluted chambers? I have a H&K P7 that I plan to start using reloads in soon. The chamber is fluted, so when the cartridge is ejected, there are some nice score marks down the side from the propellant gases. I've run a few batches through the case tumbler, and most of the powder burns are gone, but I can faintly see where it looks like some have been etched. I'm just wondering whether or not repeated reloading and firing from a fluted chamber will cause case failure or not.

Colorado4Wheel
05-03-2010, 10:19
I sometimes end up loading that brass in my Glock. Never owned a gun with a fluted chamber. It loads up fine in my Glock, but I don't see much of it and don't end up loading up much of it either.

D. Manley
05-03-2010, 11:53
Does anyone have experience with repeated reloading in fluted chambers? I have a H&K P7 that I plan to start using reloads in soon. The chamber is fluted, so when the cartridge is ejected, there are some nice score marks down the side from the propellant gases. I've run a few batches through the case tumbler, and most of the powder burns are gone, but I can faintly see where it looks like some have been etched. I'm just wondering whether or not repeated reloading and firing from a fluted chamber will cause case failure or not.

I'd be leery of "repeated" reloading of this brass. It's getting stress worked a lot harder and it can't be a good thing. At a minimum, I'd segregate this brass from all other.

Jim Watson
05-03-2010, 12:50
MY P7 did not "score" the brass. Its chamber flutes left smoked streaks on the cases, but no distortion that I could see or feel. I could reload them until I lost them. I pick up MP5 brass after the local SMG guy has been shooting, it works fine, flutes and all.

Hoser
05-03-2010, 14:36
Load it until it cracks. Thats what I did when I had a P7 and sn SP-89.

WiskyT
05-03-2010, 15:55
MY P7 did not "score" the brass. Its chamber flutes left smoked streaks on the cases, but no distortion that I could see or feel. I could reload them until I lost them. I pick up MP5 brass after the local SMG guy has been shooting, it works fine, flutes and all.

Lots of my 40 brass has the marks on it from the MP5's silly chamber. There, I said it, the MP5 is a silly gun. What gun gets used when things are really bad? Why it's a Roscoe wielded by a cop, not some MP5 being held by a fat guy with whitewalls having a midlife crisis while waiting for the "green light" to send his team in.

fredj338
05-03-2010, 16:44
I used to have a HK93, fluted chmabers. It messes w/ the brass, but the ejection port did more damage than the fluting. Just watch for case splits along the flut lines.

WiskyT
05-03-2010, 18:39
I used to have a HK93, fluted chmabers. It messes w/ the brass, but the ejection port did more damage than the fluting. Just watch for case splits along the flut lines.

Good point about the 93, rifle rounds might cause more of an issue with the fluting due to higher pressures.:dunno:

El_Ron1
05-03-2010, 22:13
The HK91 does ugly things to brass, but it's a good ugly.

jmorris
05-04-2010, 15:29
My SVI's have fluted chambers and I have never had any problems reloading for them. I also have reloaded a lot of brass that we have shot out of MP5's without any problems too.