M/S Protection tool [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : M/S Protection tool

9jeeps
05-03-2010, 19:51
Still being plagued by M/S Protection tool on IE and FF.

I talked with a Sweety in India for a couple hours this week and only understood about five words..... Ok, so she had a nice voice. But I really do need to get rid of the 'Tool' annoyance.

Any fixes for dummies?:embarassed:

Sgt. Schultz
05-03-2010, 20:12
Download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware ...

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Malwarebytes_Anti-Malware_d5756.html

... run the full scan after updating.

9jeeps
05-04-2010, 16:58
Sorry it didn't work.:dunno:

dotsun
05-05-2010, 01:56
A reinstall takes an hour or so if you're slow like me.

Sgt. Schultz
05-05-2010, 05:04
A reinstall takes an hour or so if you're slow like me.:agree:

If this is a ongoing issue that you can't resolve then you should backup your data and reinstall the OS.

9jeeps
05-05-2010, 11:32
YEP! I think that's what were going to have to do. :upeyes: :crying:

Thanks

PS: Wifey says, stay out of India!!!

Pierre!
05-06-2010, 11:51
Before you reinstall - Boot into SAFE MODE and scan. Malwarebytes, or any other AV/AM (AntiVirus/AntiMalware) software can defeat trojans/virus/malware when they are using stealth technology.

Most trojans/virus/malware use stealth technology today - It is *VERY* effective.

Booting into SAFE MODE prevents the intruder from loading into the operating system at boot time which allows Malwarebytes to properly identify and remove the invader.

Press the F8 key (very top of the keyboard) repeatedly until you boot into a black and white text screen that offers you SAFE MODE, SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING - Choose the With Networking option if you think you need to freshen up your Malwarebytes signature files.

Then scan away and see if you come up clean finally. You might just be surprised...

HTH

PS - From now on use the key combo of <ALT> + <F4> to close any pop-ups you get. That will help quite a bit as well.

Patrick Graham
05-08-2010, 08:05
:agree:

If this is a ongoing issue that you can't resolve then you should backup your data and reinstall the OS.

Yes.

And after that rebuild install MS Security essentials plus Malwarebytes, then give your old data the once over with those before copying it back on to your new build.