What are your thoughts on a Benelli M1? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What are your thoughts on a Benelli M1?

M4J0R T0M
05-04-2010, 13:11
I may be able to pick up a Benelli M1 for pretty cheap and was wondering what you guys thought of them. I did a search and couldn't find much info here, so that tells me they aren't all that popular, maybe I'm wrong.

I don't know much about shotguns, the only experience I have is with my Winchester Model 1200 pump that my dad gave me a few years ago. I would be purchasing the gun for HD and general shooting. Maybe some bird hunting or clay shooting. It is the basic version with the standard stock and I don't know if it comes with anything else. What do you guys think?

PEC-Memphis
05-04-2010, 17:23
Excellent shotgun. As I recall, it is inertia operated, rather than gas operated. It tolerates residue better than a gas operated system. Because of this, some models of this series don't like light loads. As I recall, it is a pretty soft shooter.

I think that the reason you don't see it mentioned here very much is that they are typically used for sporting purposes.

stopatrain
05-04-2010, 17:26
I've heard good things about it.

M4J0R T0M
05-04-2010, 19:17
Thanks for the replies guys. Anyone else have any thoughts on an M1 for home defense?

iamhistory
05-04-2010, 20:29
it's a benelli.......it's quality.

Navitimer
05-05-2010, 10:07
Never shot one (or seen one in person for that matter) but it looks awesome. I agree with the comment above - It's a Benelli so chances are good that it's top quality.

Folsom_Prison
05-05-2010, 11:19
Go for it, you won't be let down!!!!!!!

frankr
05-05-2010, 11:40
An auto will go through a lot of shells so be sure it will consistently handle the low brass target loads or you will be spending good money for the higher priced high brass hunting loads. For fun shooting my auto will handle the 100 shell value pack from Wal-Mart all day long. This low brass target loads sell for around $24.00 for a box of 100.

babarracing
05-05-2010, 15:02
:crying: There is only one problem with a benelli shotgun and that is Subjective. You cannot change the butt stock due to the way they are built. Therefore if the SHTF ever it is not a good vehicle/Patrol car gun unless you consider the trunk readily accessible.

M4J0R T0M
05-05-2010, 19:29
:crying: There is only one problem with a benelli shotgun and that is Subjective. You cannot change the butt stock due to the way they are built. Therefore if the SHTF ever it is not a good vehicle/Patrol car gun unless you consider the trunk readily accessible.

Do you mean changing it out to a pistol grip with no stock? I don't think I would ever be in a situation to do that.

F_G
05-06-2010, 08:06
I don't have a Benelli M1 Super 90 for home defense, but I do regularly use one to hunt with. I haven't found a load it won't digest 100%, anything from light Dove loads to 3" Turkey loads. It is inertia operated, not gas. I tell you this as you get a lot more "feedback" (as in felt recoil) than you do with a gas operated shotgun such as the 1100 or FN SLP. Not a bad thing by any means, but just be aware if you plan to shoot slugs all day long.

Excellent shotgun, my favorite out of my non OU shotguns, and has been 100% reliable in the 22 years I've had it.

stiletto raggio
05-07-2010, 16:10
An M1 was my first shotgun and it is still my go-to hunting shotgun. Until recently I had a Benelli M3 that was also superbly reliable, but I sold it in favor of Saigas. As tube-fed autos go, nothing beats a Benelli for quickness or reliability. If you can afford it, get it.

Norske
05-08-2010, 18:59
Love mine. M1 Super 90 w/ghost ring sights.

I found the hard way that mine, at least, does not like light loads. Shoots like a house afire with heavy loads. It keeps slugs in a group the size of your palm at 50 yards.

I put something like 400 rounds through it before I felt I just "had" to clean it. Just about didn't have to; compared to any gas-op gun it was still very clean inside. I just wiped it down, lubed it whereever it seemed to need lube, and put it back together.

ScrappyDoo
05-08-2010, 22:35
The Benelli M2 Tac has been the most "Ahhhhh....." lights beaming / chimes ringing / etc. weapon I've held... It was Italian amazing.

I "Settled" on a Mossberg 930 SPX and a Benelli Supernova for still less than the M2, but as someone said, if it says Benelli it's pretty good.

Now about that MR-1...... :wavey:

ronin.45
05-09-2010, 23:51
As stated the finest tube fed semi available. The only better combat shotgun might be the Saiga if you can work out the bugs. And the only advantage it has is after the 8th shot.:supergrin:

stiletto raggio
05-10-2010, 16:30
As stated the finest tube fed semi available. The only better combat shotgun might be the Saiga if you can work out the bugs. And the only advantage it has is after the 8th shot.:supergrin:

I'd say it has an advantage after the ninth, tenth, eleventh, twelfth, thirteenth, fourteenth, fifteenth, sixteenth, seventeenth, eighteenth and nineteenth shots, too. Saiga 12+ MD20=game changer.

Still, the Benelli is a heck of a gun. You won't regret getting one.

GlocksterPaulie
05-10-2010, 16:36
I have a few and love them. Plenty of rounds through them and they continue to run. Tom Knapp ran a M1 for many years, finally retired it after 300K rounds.

Paulie

ronin.45
05-10-2010, 20:21
I'd say it has an advantage after the ninth, tenth, eleventh, twelfth, thirteenth, fourteenth, fifteenth, sixteenth, seventeenth, eighteenth and nineteenth shots, too. Saiga 12+ MD20=game changer.

Still, the Benelli is a heck of a gun. You won't regret getting one.

Those are all after the eigth shot, right?:tongueout:

GLShooter
05-11-2010, 17:07
I've shot one in matches and hunting for over 15 years. That term Super in the name means just that. I even shoot 2" shells I load myself in it with 100% function.

Set up with speed loaders it is like grease owl dukky. It will hammer pheasants so fast that guys with you can't believe it (Of course we had five of them for six hunters! LOL)

Greg

varmint6
06-03-2010, 18:02
ive had mine for years and i love it but would not want to use as a 3 am wake up gun for home defense i use an 870 because of simplicity of operation

bsg1
06-04-2010, 12:14
if i was to use one of my shotguns for home defense it would be my 870P. that is simply because i would prefer a pump shotgun in close quarters when defending a position. that does not mean the M1 Super 90 cannot do the job; it is a great defense shotgun in various scenarios imo. swat teams have used this shotgun and it has been used for patrol use in law enforcement circles. i am extremely fond of my M1 Super 90 and would feel well armed with it should i choose to use it as a defensive shotgun. the quality of benelli is excellent. the M1 Super 90 actually is a popular shotgun and i have no regrets for owning one....

GLShooter
06-04-2010, 14:28
I used M1 Super 90's on my Fed. BOP SORT (SWAT) teams. They functioned well for us and I never felt that I was at risk using them in that venue. I could have used 1100's or 870's but I felt the Benneli was up to any potential challenge.

Maybe since I've shot one for so many years has a big influence though I also have and use an 870 Police I got back in 1979.

I also have an 1100 set up for tactical use that my wife uses in matches that has been worked over extensively. It too runs 100 % and I would not hesitate to put it into service.

It all boils down to familiarity and the track record of that firearm. IMHO.

Greg

TheGrimReaper
06-07-2010, 22:44
Benelli makes Fantastic shotguns. You want be disapointed.

Mochahooligan
07-28-2013, 09:54
Anyone know where to get a 18" BBL for a m1 Super 90 ?

PEC-Memphis
07-29-2013, 16:19
Anyone know where to get a 18" BBL for a m1 Super 90 ?

Holy Thread Resurrection Batman ! 3+ years.

I think this one (http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/benelli-m2-barrels/80003) will work, but you have to buy the M2 fore end.

You could always ask here (http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/ctgy/Z-0001), or here (http://www.benelliusa.com/support/contact.php), about your options.

Mochahooligan
07-29-2013, 18:19
Thanks PEC I came across a lower basically with a forend light for a rocking price! And could not pass it up. It was considered a class 3 because it came with a 14" bbl. but the pd kept the bbl and sold it to a LEO store that I frequent. Thanks again!