Reloads through the new Kimber. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Reloads through the new Kimber.

GioaJack
05-04-2010, 19:42
Cognizant of the fact that my last few days of leisure come to a screeching halt in the morning when I once again must get out there and do my part to speed up our sluggish economy I figured it was time to put the new Kimber through it's paces.

With the weather more than cooperating I drove the truck out into the pasture and prepared to do battle with Diet Pepsi bottles, clumps of mud along the pond bank and any crawling poisonous reptiles that were unfortunate enough to make their presence known. (I also take the truck so I can leap into the bed like a superhero in case one of those nasty creatures gets too close... 50 feet is too close.)

Since the hay field is knee high and ready for it's first cutting I was forced to deploy my huge tarp to catch my spent brass but it worked pretty well so there were no worries.

I started out with 200 grain SWC over 3.9 Clays. Just like the few rounds I fired before I left on this trip they all fed flawlessly. Two Pepsi bottles fell to the onslaught of flying wheel weights and just like magic large mud clods were transformed into small mud clods.

Couldn't get more than 20 yards away from the opposite bank and still see because of the tall grass but accuracy was certainly good enough to keep 'em in the 24 ounce bottles. Tried several magazines as fast as my arthritic fingers could pull the trigger... again, no malfunctions of any kind.

The sound of the firing alerted my buddy's neighbor who owns the ranch next door that something neat was going on. The sight of his ATV bounding across the pasture was a sign that I had better save him some ammo. He had come over to the house the other night to BS and have a glass of amber colored adult beverage. He asked if I'd picked up any new guns lately so I dug it out and let him pop off a few rounds into the grass. It was pitch dark and he had fun playing with the laser sight but now wanted to shoot it in the daylight.

We finished off a hundred of the SWC's then switched to the 225 grain LRN over Power Pistol. Great fun... great fun! Recoil was obviously more than the 200 grainers but the little 3 inch barrel handled them without a problem. Again, we had no malfunctions of any kind in either slow fire or with him pulling the trigger faster than I am able to do.

I had ten Remington 185 grain JHP's in the back of the truck and decided to run them through just for the heck of it. (I hate shooting factory stuff into the dirt but wanted to see if there'd be any functioning problems.) If there's something this little gun doesn't like I haven't found it yet.

We went through a total of 210 rounds, (counting the few I let him shoot the first night) and had no failures of any kind. Looking forward to getting home and loading a few hundred rounds of both grainers so I can take it to the range for a real workout. Have a couple thousand rounds of 185 grain XTP's so I may load up a hundred or so of those just for grins and giggles.

Jack

metro273
05-04-2010, 19:45
Cool!:cool:

robin303
05-04-2010, 19:55
Sounds like you had a good time Jack. I don't think I would want to be one of those bad Diet Pepsi bottles lurking around ponds and bushes and such. Sounds like much more reloading by the Big Screen TV and wet bar in the future. :supergrin:

kshutt
05-04-2010, 19:57
Jack, I want a range report on the accuracy of your new toy on those reptilian demons from hell. I'm quite afraid you'll have to let them come closer than your standard distance of 50 feet, however. :tease:

Colorado4Wheel
05-04-2010, 20:00
. Looking forward to getting home and loading a few hundred rounds of both grainers so I can take it to the range for a real workout. Have a couple thousand rounds of 185 grain XTP's so I may load up a hundred or so of those just for grins and giggles.

Jack

Going to use up those free bullets in the Kimber. Good idea.

GioaJack
05-04-2010, 20:09
Jack, I want a range report on the accuracy of your new toy on those reptilian demons from hell. I'm quite afraid you'll have to let them come closer than your standard distance of 50 feet, however. :tease:

I'll have you know I'm an excellent shot. I once shot the testes off a buzzard hovering 60 feet over a dead cow............................ unfortunately I was aiming at the dead cow. :crying:

Jack

kshutt
05-04-2010, 20:10
I'll have you know I'm an excellent shot. I once shot the testes off a buzzard hovering 60 feet over a dead cow............................ unfortunately I was aiming at the dead cow. :crying:

Jack

Now that's shootin', Jack! :supergrin:

RustyFN
05-05-2010, 14:33
I think you should be on that show impossible shots. :supergrin:

fredj338
05-05-2010, 14:48
What, no pics of the new toy? Nothing like a new 1911 to play with.

GioaJack
05-05-2010, 15:52
Fred:

I posted pictures of it last week when I got it. I don't know how to go to an old thread and post the link.

Yet more evidence that I am indeed an idiot. (But my dog loves me.)

Jack

Colorado4Wheel
05-05-2010, 16:52
Above the page #'s for this forum (above all the threads) there is a search window. Type "Kimber" in the box, press enter. It will list all the threads with Kimber in it. Find jacks thread, click on it, copy the new adress from the web browser and paste in the post. It will look like this.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1215017&highlight=Kimber

GioaJack
05-05-2010, 17:17
Above the page #'s for this forum (above all the threads) there is a search window. Type "Kimber" in the box, press enter. It will list all the threads with Kimber in it. Find jacks thread, click on it, copy the new adress from the web browser and paste in the post. It will look like this.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1215017&highlight=Kimber

It kills me to admit that I've learned something from Little Stevie... I guess my productive and useful life truly is over. :crying:

Jack

chris in va
05-05-2010, 19:18
Did you water or towel drop the boolits? Any leading?

GioaJack
05-05-2010, 20:27
Did you water or towel drop the boolits? Any leading?

I never water quench any of my castings. Only have a little over 250 rounds through it but no leading problem that I can see yet. I'll tear it down for a cleaning when I get back to Colorado.

Jack

chris in va
05-05-2010, 20:35
Yeah, don't quench my 45's. Shoots great in my Sig. My 9mm though requires a harder boolit so I just toss them in a bucket of water.

kshutt
05-05-2010, 21:55
I never water quench any of my castings. Only have a little over 250 rounds through it but no leading problem that I can see yet. I'll tear it down for a cleaning when I get back to Colorado.

Jack

I've yet to see any reptile skins posted yet, Jack! You know if you skin 'em and grill 'em they're mighty tasty!!! :grill: