Dillon Roller Handle [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Dillon Roller Handle

ron59
05-04-2010, 19:52
Got my Roller Handle today to replace that "ball" handle the 550 comes standard with. I loaded 15,000+ with that thing, and I could shoot myself for not having done it sooner. Oh. My. Gosh.... that roller handle is too cool. I only loaded 50 or so to try it out, but it was alot nicer. I would get some hot spots on my hands with that ball handle when loading 400-500 rounds, as it doesn't move, your hand has to.

Does everybody else also use the Roller Handle, or stick with the ball ?

Also got my Redding Competition Seater die... didn't take the time to set that up, probably this weekend.

I love new toys!!

Colorado4Wheel
05-04-2010, 19:55
I got the metal roller handle. I like it a lot. I have it a little bent in towards me. Try that as well.

I am really curious how you like that Redding Seater Die. Post up some pictures on the press for us please.

MarcusT
05-04-2010, 20:00
I Have not used it on the 550 yet but on the 650 it is great. When I get back to using the 550 I'll have to give it a try.

kshutt
05-04-2010, 20:03
Ron,

Man, if I loaded as many rounds as you do, I might have to buy a roller! I've just stuck with the stock handle, but I'm not opposed to ordering one the next time I need something from Dillon. I might give it some thought if it made that much difference to you!

XDRoX
05-04-2010, 20:09
I love my roller handle. I've never even tried the ball on a 550b, but on my singles stage presses I hated the ball. The roller is a huge improvement.

GioaJack
05-04-2010, 20:13
Makes all the difference in the world on the LNL, probably going to order a second one. Haven't been using the 550 all that much lately but after feeling the difference I'm not opposed to changing that one either.

Was very much surprised at the difference.

Jack

unclebob
05-04-2010, 20:33
Roller handle is the only way too go.:thumbsup::thumbsup: I took the straight handle that was on my Rock Chucker off and put the Dillon round ball on it.
The strong mount and bullet tray makes a big difference also.

BBJones
05-04-2010, 20:54
Darn you guys! Always giving me new ways to go spend money.

Cobra64
05-04-2010, 22:09
Makes all the difference in the world on the LNL, probably going to order a second one. Haven't been using the 550 all that much lately but after feeling the difference I'm not opposed to changing that one either.

Was very much surprised at the difference.

Jack

Thanks! I didn't know Hornady made a roller handle for the LnL.

XDRoX
05-04-2010, 23:12

I'm pretty sure he bought a Dillon roller handle and painted it red:whistling:

Cobra64
05-04-2010, 23:19
I'm pretty sure he bought a Dillon roller handle and painted it red:whistling::rofl:

Travclem
05-04-2010, 23:22
I ordered it when I first bought my XL650 per the advise of someone who had the ball.

IndyGunFreak
05-05-2010, 00:48
I'm pretty sure he bought a Dillon roller handle and painted it red:whistling:

:rofl:

Hornady doesn't, it's something somebody else out there came up with... Frankly, that's an idea Hornady should have had from the beginning, and they let an end user beat them to the punch.

http://ultimatereloader.com/?p=340

Murphy's Law
05-05-2010, 05:45
Until I got the new handle, I use to sometimes use a "golf" glove on my right hand pulling down the handle. With the optional roller handle things are much better and a tremendous difference on the hand......not to mention your wrist!

:supergrin:

unclebob
05-05-2010, 07:10
A couple of years ago someone posted a picture of there LNL that they installed a Dillon roller handle on it.

tlafrance
05-05-2010, 07:15
With the old ball handle, the 550 gave me a blister right in the middle of my palm. Folks used to ask just WHAT I was doing to get one there:wow: I added a plastic roller handle of the first generation when they originally came out. It differs from the current model in that it was tapered from LARGE to Small towards the handle causing my hand to drift all the time. Years later, I replaced it under warranty with the new design which is triangular and the same thickness throughout, MUCH better. In retrospect, I'd recommend getting the aluminum type and never look back. For you folks in colder climates where the handle gets chilly, grab some hockey tape and give it a few wraps to keep your hand from freezing up :tongueout:

Tom

ron59
05-05-2010, 07:31
I got the metal roller handle. I like it a lot. I have it a little bent in towards me. Try that as well.

I am really curious how you like that Redding Seater Die. Post up some pictures on the press for us please.

Yep, mine is slightly "bent" towards me as well, I'll probably play with it some over the next few weeks.

And I'll definitely get some pics up of the seater (and my reloading area), probably over the weekend.

Ron,

Man, if I loaded as many rounds as you do, I might have to buy a roller! I've just stuck with the stock handle, but I'm not opposed to ordering one the next time I need something from Dillon. I might give it some thought if it made that much difference to you!
I waited as that was the only thing (at the time) that I was wanting from Dillon, and just didn't want to plop down the $40+ for it. But when Steve (C4W) told me about that Redding Competition Seater die, I saw that Dillon sells it for close to the same price as Midway, I decided to get that along with the maintenance kit and some more primer pickup tubes.

I've got 9 pickup tubes now, so I can basically load an entire brick of primers at one sitting (put the first 100 straight into the machine after picking them up), then fill 9 tubes. I know some guys say they like to take a break and pickup primers between loading 100, but I like to just drop primers in and load whenever I have a few minutes. Minus the primer pickup part, I can load 200 in 20 minutes or so.

I'm loading so much... within the next few years I can see jumping to a 650 (1050?) with a case feeder and get one of those Mr. Bullet things... all I'll have to do is pull the handle, and keep the supplies (case feeder hopper, powder hopper, primer feed tube) loaded up. *If* I'm still loading at my current rate in another year, it will happen for sure.

21 shooter
05-05-2010, 07:44
The roller handle is the best money I have spent in a long time. The round ball was causing me problems in long loading sessions.

Matt Berry
05-05-2010, 09:10
I agree, the aluminum roller handle was the best thing I have bought for my 550b, it made a huge difference.

The other things that have been more of a convenience is buying another primer assembly (reduces switching from LPP to SPP) and additional powder measures.

proraptor
05-05-2010, 10:50
I also have the blue roller handle on my 550B and love it so nice and smooth

Tony999
05-05-2010, 12:15
Two thumbs up for the roller handle. Would never go back the the Ball.

kshutt
05-05-2010, 12:19

C4W,

I don't want to hijack Ron's thread, but what's the big deal about the Redding Seater Die? I'm interested.........

Ahmid
05-05-2010, 12:30
Dillon should make the roller handle an option when you purchase a new 550.
That way you can have credit for the ball handle, and pay the difference for the roller handle.

das9mm26
05-05-2010, 12:52
With the old ball handle, the 550 gave me a blister right in the middle of my palm. Folks used to ask just WHAT I was doing to get one there:wow: I added a plastic roller handle of the first generation when they originally came out. It differs from the current model in that it was tapered from LARGE to Small towards the handle causing my hand to drift all the time. Years later, I replaced it under warranty with the new design which is triangular and the same thickness throughout, MUCH better. In retrospect, I'd recommend getting the aluminum type and never look back. For you folks in colder climates where the handle gets chilly, grab some hockey tape and give it a few wraps to keep your hand from freezing up :tongueout:

Tom
Just tell 'em the truth....
You were "pulling your handle"......
Be sure to record their facial expressions for posting here....!!:rofl:

unclebob
05-05-2010, 12:54
Dillon should make the roller handle an option when you purchase a new 550.
That way you can have credit for the ball handle, and pay the difference for the roller handle.

I already asked that question from Gary at Dillon. Itís because of packaging.

Colorado4Wheel
05-05-2010, 13:25
C4W,

I don't want to hijack Ron's thread, but what's the big deal about the Redding Seater Die? I'm interested.........

It's got a spring loaded in-line seater. So it takes a bullet that is off center a little, straightens it and then seats it. Hornady has a non-spring loaded seater on all it's dies. My Hornady did not work right and I had to enlarge it to work properly. Redding also has a Micro Adjuster seating stem. So you can add the exact amount of extra seating depth by turning the dial. Hornady also has this on their dies as a $23 option. It works perfectly. Here is a thread about the Hornady stuff. Redding also alows you to "clock" the die so the micro adjuster is facing you. Hornady you just have to live with where it is on the die. You can adjust the die up and down to move the scale but it also moves the adjustment for crimp. Redding is a seating die only. Hornady Seats and Crimps. Redding cost more then double the Hornady.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1137645&highlight=Line+Seater

ron59
05-05-2010, 13:35
Redding also has a Micro Adjuster seating stem.

Everything that he said... but this is the main reason why I got it. I've been loading 147gr MGs, but I've got some BBI moly's I plan on loading, as well as some Speer Gold Dots. The "setting" for the OAL for each one is going to change, with that micrometer you can record where it is and more quickly go back to the *exact* setting you used previously.

If you're ALWAYS loading the same bullet, the other features might not be worth the $70 price tag... Yes, it's pricey.

unclebob
05-05-2010, 13:44
The Redding seating die also well let you. The bullet that you use most often, zero it out. Then if you use other bullets you just write down what the setting was. So you can go back too that setting. And you just go back too zero for the bullet you use most often. It is a lot simpler than what it sounds. I use them on everything I load except when I use lead bullets. Then I use the Dillon seating die.

fredj338
05-05-2010, 14:58
It is the way to go but not required. What Dillon should do is add $25 to the price & just change all their machines over to the roller handle.

unclebob
05-05-2010, 15:36
It is the way to go but not required. What Dillon should do is add $25 to the price & just change all their machines over to the roller handle.

Read my post #25.

Ahmid
05-05-2010, 15:44
Read my post #25.

I think Gary's answer at Dillon stinks.

IndyGunFreak
05-05-2010, 16:11

Just a way to milk you for $45-$50. Many people have been willing to pay $45 for the roller handle, so why should they toss it in the box at a discount?

unclebob
05-05-2010, 16:22

Okay you come up with a way too use the same size box. Rearrange the stuff in the box for the roller handle too fit. Then pay for the retooling of the Styrofoam. Then submit it too Dillon. That is just part of the reasons why. At least Dillon has a roller handle that is an option. Also not everyone wants the roller handle. So now you have two sets of styrofoam.

GioaJack
05-05-2010, 16:34
Okay you come up with a way too use the same size box. Rearrange the stuff in the box for the roller handle too fit. Then pay for the retooling of the Styrofoam. Then submit it too Dillon. That is just part of the reasons why. At least Dillon has a roller handle that is an option. Also not everyone wants the roller handle. So now you have two sets of styrofoam.

Ahhhh... you could drive to Scottsdale and pick it up, that would save on shipping and redesigning the styrofoam. See, wasn't that easy.

Want me to start working on a solution for that oil spill thingy?

Jack

Colorado4Wheel
05-05-2010, 16:40
From a marketing point of view adding more content to the already expensive 550 is just silly. What they need to do is delete the low primer alarm and charge less for the machine not add a roller and charge more. Almost no one when they price shop the LnL/Dillon says "well the Dillon has a low primer alarm so thats worth more to me" basically, it's wasted content. LnL doesn't have it and you don't see them complaining about it. They could delete the Large Powder Bar at the same time. It will force a small % to add it later but that would just make them more money rather then just giving away stuff a good % don't even use.

shotgunred
05-05-2010, 16:55
Maybe its because I use my right arm a lot for other things but I don't think the roller handle is any better than the ball. I might sell mine because I don't think its worth the money.

proraptor
05-05-2010, 16:58
From a marketing point of view adding more content to the already expensive 550 is just silly. What they need to do is delete the low primer alarm and charge less for the machine not add a roller and charge more. Almost no one when they price shop the LnL/Dillon says "well the Dillon has a low primer alarm so thats worth more to me" basically, it's wasted content. LnL doesn't have it and you don't see them complaining about it. They could delete the Large Powder Bar at the same time. It will force a small % to add it later but that would just make them more money rather then just giving away stuff a good % don't even use.

I love the primer alarm....Im glad it came with it

fredj338
05-05-2010, 17:12
Read my post #25.
Oops, missed that. I doubt it's a packaging issue. More like, we can charge you an extra issue. The roller handle would fit into the 550B box w/ little modification to the packaging. Then they wouldn't have an extra to sell you.:dunno:
Very useful, as you can NOT see how many primers you have left. I know guys buying them for thier LNL or the identical RCBS unit.

GioaJack
05-05-2010, 17:14
Maybe its because I use my right arm a lot for other things but I don't think the roller handle is any better than the ball. I might sell mine because I don't think its worth the money.

Get a girlfriend... save your arm strength for loading. :whistling:

Jack

Colorado4Wheel
05-05-2010, 17:34
I like the primer alarm as well. It's just that most companies try to get rid of items that consumers don't value while they are making the decision to purchase. You kinda got to give Dillon credit for not deleting these items which add value that a lot of new buyers don't appreciate till after they get the machine.

BBJones
05-05-2010, 17:44
The primer alarm is the only thing that wakes me up from my reloading trance.

shotgunred
05-05-2010, 18:24
Get a girlfriend... save your arm strength for loading. :whistling:

Jack

My wife might not like that.:supergrin:

21 shooter
05-05-2010, 18:50
Several reasons to add/not add a roller handle at the factory are presented here. I will leave that to Dillon. They are smart folks. I am sure they are trying to keep their price point down, as a lot of reloaders that have never used a progressive will not understand all of the differences between a Dillon, Hornady, RCBS, etc., but these same reloaders will be looking at how much it is going to cost them to get one brand or the other. You can always add goodies later after you figure out exactly what you want.

Perhaps Dillon could point out that the roller handle is much more ergonomic and let that little tidbit help folks make a decision. As someone has said, they did not like theirs, but they are in the minority. I only wish I had been able to try one 15-20 years ago.

ron59
05-05-2010, 18:52
I really like the low primer alarm? While I love my roller handle... if I had to *choose*, I'd rather the press come with the low primer alarm than the roller handle.

I managed to load a buttload of ammo without the roller handle, but I wouldn't have wanted to do that without the low primer alarm.

dudel
05-05-2010, 19:34

+1 For me, the low primer alarm is more a bother than a help. I tend to count out 100 cases (that's what fit in a box). Load up 100 primers. When my cases are out, my primers are out. The buzzer on the last 5 is annoying enough to pull the battery out or the alarm off. Still use the follower though.

As for the roller handle; what ever works for you. I find I prefer the ball. I sit off center from the press, and the ball lets me adjust for where I sit. Not had any problem with the ball rubbing against my hand. The roller handle made me sit more square to the press. To each their own though. If it works for someone great. Reloading should be comfortable.

VN350X10
05-05-2010, 22:47
ron59,
If you're planning on upgrading in presses, I suggest you go with a XL650 w/ case feeder instead of a 1050.
Cost of change overs is quite a bit higher with the 1050 & a realistic production rate (NOT what Dillon rates them at) isn't much different; The 650 also has a better waranty.
I have both on the bench & because of the effort involved, I only change calibers on the 1050 about 3 times a year ! 99% of the time, it's in .45ACP, other than that, it's in .44 AutoMag & very rarely in .38 super. I also have a couple more calibers for it, but usually use the XL650 because of ease of use.
Primer change-over on a 1050 series press is a pain in the BUTT ! It involves a total tear down.

uncle albert

ron59
05-06-2010, 04:10
ron59,
If you're planning on upgrading in presses, I suggest you go with a XL650 w/ case feeder instead of a 1050.
Cost of change overs is quite a bit higher with the 1050 & a realistic production rate (NOT what Dillon rates them at) isn't much different; The 650 also has a better waranty.
I have both on the bench & because of the effort involved, I only change calibers on the 1050 about 3 times a year ! 99% of the time, it's in .45ACP, other than that, it's in .44 AutoMag & very rarely in .38 super. I also have a couple more calibers for it, but usually use the XL650 because of ease of use.
Primer change-over on a 1050 series press is a pain in the BUTT ! It involves a total tear down.

uncle albert

Thanks for the info, but I'm familiar with it. If I went with the 1050, it was for:
1) 9mm only, would not change out anything. If I wanted to reload .45ACP or .40, I'd do it with the 550 (don't reload those yet, currently but can forsee those in my future though).
2) I end up with range brass, and get some with crimped primers (WCC, S&B). I like the swage station the 1050 has... of course not ever having used it not sure it works as advertised but if it did I'd have some more brass I could use.
3) I like the idea of priming on the downstroke, not having to do that lift-up thing. Not that the lift-up thing is a big deal, but it would still save a little time.

Colorado4Wheel
05-06-2010, 07:02
I would so get a 1050 for a dedicated 9mm machine. That would rock. I would not bother converting it.

sarge
05-06-2010, 08:35
2) I end up with range brass, and get some with crimped primers (WCC, S&B). I like the swage station the 1050 has... of course not ever having used it not sure it works as advertised but if it did I'd have some more brass I could use.

I have a 1050 dedicated to 223. The primer pocket swage station works exactly like it's supposed to. That was one of the driving reasons for me to get the 1050. I have lots of crimped brass given to me by some local LEO groups. I throw it in and load it, don't have to worry about whether it's crimped or not.

shotgunred
05-06-2010, 13:41
I wonder if the handle preference is correlated to how you load?

I prefer the stock handle but I sit at my press.

Colorado4Wheel
05-06-2010, 14:00
I used to load sitting with the ball and then with the roller. Sitting the roller is a little more difficult to adjust too. I had to tilt it more towards me. Standing it's nearly at a 90degree angle to the press. I do tilt it in towards me a little. Not as much as before.

Kinda suprised no one has mentioned this option.

http://www.glockpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1136

proraptor
05-06-2010, 17:13
I used to load sitting with the ball and then with the roller. Sitting the roller is a little more difficult to adjust too. I had to tilt it more towards me. Standing it's nearly at a 90degree angle to the press. I do tilt it in towards me a little. Not as much as before.

Kinda suprised no one has mentioned this option.

http://www.glockpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1136

Those are cool and all but I still like the roller handle over the ball design. Much mor comfortable for me

dudel
05-06-2010, 18:48
I wonder if the handle preference is correlated to how you load?

I prefer the stock handle but I sit at my press.

Good point. I also sit while reloading, and prefer the stock handle.

TrooperBrian
05-07-2010, 02:22
I used to wonder why people complained about the ball handle..until I got a 650 and knew exactly what they were talking about. It hurts!

Being a person who is a CRB, I can't seem to justify $50 to fix it. I might just modify my existing handle, weld on an extra piece with a bearing, and make my own handle.

unclebob
05-07-2010, 07:04
I used to wonder why people complained about the ball handle..until I got a 650 and knew exactly what they were talking about. It hurts!

Being a person who is a CRB, I can't seem to justify $50 to fix it. I might just modify my existing handle, weld on an extra piece with a bearing, and make my own handle.

Unless you have a machine shop with the parts lying around? You well be better off in just buying the handle.

unclebob
05-07-2010, 07:40
Also something you may not realize, the rod on the roller handle has a bend in it. Unless you put the bend in it. your hand is going too be out in right field

Colorado4Wheel
05-07-2010, 08:34
CRB would be the bigger ball I posted pictures of. There is a lot to be said for the concept of a bigger ball. It does not force your hand arm into a certian relationship with the press. Your hand/arm can easily change alignment as the handle moves. Thats very good for joint health. It also spreads the force over a much larger area, just like the roller. It does not eliminate friction (like the roller) but I don't have issues with that anyway.

sig2009
05-07-2010, 17:48
I prefer the round ball handle.

TrooperBrian
05-08-2010, 00:24
Unless you have a machine shop with the parts lying around? You well be better off in just buying the handle.
Something like that. :)

Patrick Graham
05-08-2010, 07:23
I tried the roller handle for a few years.

I'm back to the ball handle.

MarioS
05-09-2010, 22:36
I used the aluminum roller handle from the start as soon as I got my first Dillon and can't imagine ever using the factory ball.

tlafrance
05-09-2010, 23:28
3 pages of "Ball" vs "Roller" with comparison to "ball" size topped off by sore hands from handling said "balls" and yet not a single joke. I'm mildly impressed:tongueout::rofl:

Tom

shotgunred
05-10-2010, 04:55
3 pages of "Ball" vs "Roller" with comparison to "ball" size topped off by sore hands from handling said "balls" and yet not a single joke. I'm mildly impressed:tongueout::rofl:

Tom

Sorry see post 36

das9mm26
05-10-2010, 07:42
Sorry see post 36
Also...Post #24....
The subject just "lends" itself....Like Tiger Woods and Michael Jackson...!:whistling:

Billet
05-10-2010, 18:57
I also reload seated and have no need for the roller handle or strong mount. A biking glove with open fingers and a padded palm keeps the blisters away while allowing finger dexterity to load shells. That's just how I roll.

Colorado4Wheel
05-10-2010, 19:01
I also reload seated and have no need for the roller handle or strong mount. A biking glove with open fingers and a padded palm keeps the blisters away while allowing finger dexterity to load shells. That's just how I roll.

I tried that. Roller is better. Bike gloves are too sticky. I even tried different gloves and cut the fingers off. Still not as good. I think the bigger ball is a better answer to spread the force out. I would like to compare it to the roller. I think the key is just spreading that force out a little more.

Billet
05-10-2010, 19:06
I tried that. Roller is better. Bike gloves are too sticky. I even tried different gloves and cut the fingers off. Still not as good. I think the bigger ball is a better answer to spread the force out. I would like to compare it to the roller. I think the key is just spreading that force out a little more.

My bike glove is all leather and not sticky at all. The ball pivots in the palm of my hand as I push through the stroke. A bigger ball would be better, but a roller handle that doesn't allow my wrist to pivot naturally through the stroke sounds like a recipe for carpal tunnel syndrome.

Colorado4Wheel
05-10-2010, 19:14
My bike glove is all leather and not sticky at all. The ball pivots in the palm of my hand as I push through the stroke. A bigger ball would be better, but a roller handle that doesn't allow my wrist to pivot naturally through the stroke sounds like a recipe for carpal tunnel syndrome.

For me, I don't hold onto the handle that tight. I was worried about the restricted range of motion as well. Seated it's actually more of a issue then standing. I had to work to get it adjusted right. Standing it's not as big of a deal. Even seated its still a improvement. What I learned is to not hold the handle very tight. It just simply doesn't take much force to size. I had mine set up perfectly for priming. Thats when you apply the most force. Standing it's super easy to get it right, because you body is more free to move. I was actually having some wrist issues before I got the roller. With the roller my wrist no longer hurt. To each their own.

Billet
05-10-2010, 19:20
It might be related to the type of press one uses. I'm loading seated on an SDB, and the ball works fine with my setup. I've loaded 11K total rounds and as many as 900 in one sitting with no wrist pain.

unclebob
05-11-2010, 08:34
Personally I think if you load seated the ball works better. A larger ball would be even better. If you load standing I think the roller handle works better. Also I think the aluminum roller handle works better than the plastic one. Donít know why but it just feels better.
I load with my first or pointing finger and thumb resting of the shaft on the outside and not on the roller handle. Too me it just feels a lot better than trying to put my whole hand on the handle.

proraptor
05-11-2010, 16:36

It also makes you look like michael jackson....Do you moon walk while you are loading
:rofl:

proraptor
05-11-2010, 16:37
Personally I think if you load seated the ball works better. A larger ball would be even better. If you load standing I think the roller handle works better. Also I think the aluminum roller handle works better than the plastic one. Donít know why but it just feels better.
I load with my first or pointing finger and thumb resting of the shaft on the outside and not on the roller handle. Too me it just feels a lot better than trying to put my whole hand on the handle.

I grip the handle exactly like you do....My whole hand most of the time isnt on the roller handle

GLShooter
05-11-2010, 16:50
I've got the ball type on three 300's and a 550. When I got my 650 the ball handle was never mounted. Straight to to the roller for me on the big boy.

Greg

pistolero6869
05-12-2010, 23:27
Way too much money $$$$ for the roller Ill stick to the cue ball !!!

john58
05-14-2010, 07:23
I picked up a roller handle yesterday, and love it. (was a great excuse to do a little reloading!!!) I wished I'd pick one up sooner.

Hydraulicman
05-25-2010, 15:42
i ordered the aluminum one from my local gun shop. I hope it comes in soon

unclebob
05-26-2010, 17:09
It might be related to the type of press one uses. I'm loading seated on an SDB, and the ball works fine with my setup. I've loaded 11K total rounds and as many as 900 in one sitting with no wrist pain.

Your Dillon SDB dog doesnít hunt. They donít make a roller handle for that press. What till you have loaded 200,000+ rds using the ball handle. I well take the roller handle, no need for a glove, and no pain in the wrist. I thought the same thing, I donít need the roller handle I donít want too spend the money on it. After 50,000 rds with the ball I bought the roller handle and wonder why I did not buy it sooner.

Bob2223
05-26-2010, 17:19
Your Dillon SDB dog doesnít hunt. They donít make a roller handle for that press. What till you have loaded 200,000+ rds using the ball handle. I well take the roller handle, no need for a glove, and no pain in the wrist. I thought the same thing, I donít need the roller handle I donít want too spend the money on it. After 50,000 rds with the ball I bought the roller handle and wonder why I did not buy it sooner.

Wow UB I get tired after a 1000 or so! :wow:

:tongueout:

Bob

unclebob
05-26-2010, 18:55
Wow UB I get tired after a 1000 or so! :wow:

:tongueout:

Bob
No that was not at one time. About the most I have done is about 1200 in a day. And the roller handle makes a world of difference.

Colorado4Wheel
05-26-2010, 20:47
I used to think the roller handle was a luxury. It's awefull nice, sure we don't need it but I'm glad I decided to try it despite my feelings that Dillon was just trying to sell me another dudad. I would go so far as say I would remove the plastic roller that comes stock on the 1050 and get the aluminum one instead.

Hydraulicman
06-12-2010, 13:56
just got the aluminum handle today. it's pretty nice. Though you have to tighten that sucker down so it wont turn when you load. So far so good

danattherock
12-23-2013, 11:29
Sounds like a great upgrade. Sent a few PM's but posting here in case others have an opinion. Wife and I are heading to LGS now to pick up the roller handle. Before mounting might adjust the angle. Read where some folks bend the arm. Curious to what degree and how it effects performance. I plan to sit on a barstool, using strong mount, and I am 6'6". Guess some trial and error will be required, but being new to reloading, I was curious what the basic goal is with bending the arm. Any pics? How do you suggest bending it? Thanks for any ideas.

Dan

IndyGunFreak
12-23-2013, 11:44
Huh? The Dillon Roller Handle is already bent... or are you talking about something else? I'm not sure why anyone would want to bend it further.. It's quite comfortable how it is.. not to mention it could compromise the strength of the handle.

I'd get the roller handle, then build your bench to where you can comfortable stand and load.. I used to load while sitting and thought it was fine.. until I started standing while loading.

unclebob
12-23-2013, 11:48
Yes I have and use it. Make sure you get the Aluminum handle one. I see no need in bending the handle. I do have mine where the end of the handle is more facing back then straight or 90 degrees. More about 95,100. I load standing and stand to the left of the centerline of the press.

Colorado4Wheel
12-23-2013, 12:12
I had to lift the back half of a 6700lb truck nearly off the ground using my floor jack and sticking the handle in the 2"receiver JUST TO GET a small bend in the straight handle that comes with the press. The roller looks like it is made out of the same material and would be even harder to bend because of the odd shape. I can't imagine trying to bend it again in a controlled fashion.

WeeWilly
12-23-2013, 14:20
... I plan to sit on a barstool, using strong mount, and I am 6'6". Guess some trial and error will be required, but being new to reloading, I was curious what the basic goal is with bending the arm. Any pics? How do you suggest bending it? Thanks for any ideas.

Dan

I wouldn't spend any time worrying about roller arm bend at this point.

I am 6'1", use a strong mount, my bench top is 34" off the floor. My 550B is too low with this setup to comfortably sit on a bar stool. I have to load standing up as full range of motion on the roller arm has me shrugging over a little.

If I was your height, I probably would want quite a bit more height on the bench top (or spacing for the strong mount).

I would experiment with press height in your setup, higher is usually better (except for loading the case feed hopper, if you have one).

Have fun.

cajun_chooter
12-23-2013, 15:11

+1 for me.. : )

danattherock
12-23-2013, 15:12
Bench is higher than most, mounted it on 8" caster wheels. Will just mount roller handle and see how it goes. Turned out to be a pricey trip. Bought a Rock island 1911 tactical in 10 mm that is identical to a 9 mm I bought last week. Incredible shooter. $569, couldn't resist. Will put the roller handle on and crank out some ammo after dinner. Hope I like it as much as others.

Dan

danattherock
12-23-2013, 22:14
I totally misunderstood what I read earlier in this thread. Once I mounted the roller handle to my 550 tonight I realized it. The angle and 'bending' I read about was referring to the angle one sets the roller handle to. I thought folks were physically bending the arm, rather than simply just adjusting the angle of the roller handle. Just got my 550 running this past week. Limited insights obviously. After switching out the handles, I loaded some 10 mm. Love the roller and set it about 6-8 degrees inward, felt very natural from my slightly left of center barstool position.

Dan

wlkjr
12-24-2013, 20:28
I bought the OP's reloading setup and it was just the ticket. He had upgraded to an XL650 with case feeder and the whole nine yards. He sold it lock stock and barrel and there was a lot of extras with it. I'm especially glad it had the roller handle.
Thanks Ron, where ever you. I'm enjoying it immensely.:wavey:

Steve Koski
12-25-2013, 00:38
I had a roller handle. Didn't like it. Sold it. Adam's balls are better.

GWG19
12-25-2013, 22:37
The Roller handle is way to go. I love mine.
The Redding Die is awesome also. I load two different length OAL 38 Special for competition and it makes life easy.

danattherock
12-29-2013, 21:47
Would never have thought the roller handle would make that much difference. Put it on and loaded about 300 10 mm. Amazed at the difference. Should come standard on the 550B.

Dan