Quotes by jeff cooper [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Quotes by jeff cooper

MTPD
05-05-2010, 08:03
"We continue to be exasperated by the view, apparently gaining momentum in certain circles, that armed robbery is okay as long as nobody gets hurt! The proper solution to armed robbery is a dead robber, on the scene.”

November 1993--"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever the cost, fight back!"

"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen."

MTPD
05-05-2010, 13:03
Notice, no wishy-washy stats? Just good bottom-line advice for those who refuse to be victims!

degoodman
05-05-2010, 13:49
Notice, original quotes were made by someone with a vettable background, something you completely lack.

And while I'll never question the man's convictions, Cooper's "modern technique" had been supplanted by stuff that was better within a decade. Other people moved on, he didn't.

Andrewsky
05-05-2010, 15:06
I got to agree with Mr. Cooper on that. Here's how bank robbery attempts should go: two armed men enter the bank wearing balaclavas armed with a pistol and a shotgun. They are met immediately with effective automatic gunfire.

I can dream, can't I?

Here are some awesome quotes from the beginning of Cooper's "The Art of the Rifle."

"Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys."

"The rifle is a weapon. Let there be no mistake about that. It is a tool of power, and thus dependent completely upon the moral stature of its user. It is equally useful in securing meat for the table, destroying group enemies on the battlefield, and resisting tyranny. In fact, it is the only means of resisting tyranny, because a citizenry armed with rifles simply cannot be tyrannized."

zoyter2
05-05-2010, 15:23
Damn. Some of you never really left the fourth grade did you. I really thought there was no way to turn this thread into a childish, immature, ****-measuring, pissing contest. Congrats, some of you never disappoint.

Agent6-3/8
05-05-2010, 23:19
God stuff, MTPD; thanks for posting! :thumbsup:

David Armstrong
05-06-2010, 08:30
Notice, no wishy-washy stats? Just good bottom-line advice for those who refuse to be victims!

Actually the good Colonel, being classicly educated, was quite familiar with the use of stats, and used them regularly to help determine his opinions and suggestions.

PhoneCop
05-06-2010, 14:33
“One cannot legislate the maniacs off the street... these maniacs can only be shut down by an armed citizenry. Indeed bad things can happen in nations where the citizenry is armed, but not as bad as those which seem to be threatening our disarmed citizenry in this country at this time.”

“One bleeding-heart type asked me in a recent interview if I did not agree that ‘violence begets violence.’ I told him that it is my earnest endeavor to see that it does. I would like very much to ensure—and in some cases I have—that any man who offers violence to his fellow citizen begets a whole lot more in return than he can enjoy.”

“The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair.” — Col. Jeff Cooper, GUNS & AMMO, January 2002

“The media insist that crime is the major concern of the American public today. In this connection they generally push the point that a disarmed society would be a crime-free society. They will not accept the truth that if you take all the guns off the street you still will have a crime problem, whereas if you take the criminals off the street you cannot have a gun problem.”

http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/rkba/Cooper_Quotes.htm

Deaf Smith
05-06-2010, 17:57
“One bleeding-heart type asked me in a recent interview if I did not agree that ‘violence begets violence.’ I told him that it is my earnest endeavor to see that it does. I would like very much to ensure—and in some cases I have—that any man who offers violence to his fellow citizen begets a whole lot more in return than he can enjoy.”

I love that one!

Deaf

Yellowfin
05-06-2010, 18:58
Col. Cooper reminds me a lot of my grandpa, everything I loved about my grandpa. We need millions more men like them, and it doesn't seem like we can ever find enough of them.