help me pick my upgrades: cpu, video [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : help me pick my upgrades: cpu, video

Ffolkes
05-05-2010, 10:59
My present system is an AMD Athlon x2 6000 with 2 HD3870 cards in Crossfire, 2g ram, Gigabyte MA790FX-DS5 motherboard.

A stellar performer for 4 years, now its starting to show its age.

My computer is the center of the room, its the TV, plays downloaded movies, gets me to Glocktalk, lots of Google Earthing, and the rest of its use would be gaming. A lot of gaming.

CPU: I'm trying to decide whether to stay AMD, and if so, do I go for the Phenom 965 quad or the new 1090T hex core. Or Intel? The i7930 is a wonderful chip, but its more money. Does the triple channel ability of the 1366 motherboards make a difference for a gamer?

Video: With cards like the HD5000 series is there still a need to worry about Crossfire? Does a gamer need more than one of the 5870 for example?

I won't say money is no object, but I use my computer so much that to have it slower than it could be to save a few bucks would be a false economy. My research is showing me that, presently, for a gamer the 965 is probably all one needs if you are going with one video card but if trying to crossfire the higher end cards then the I7 is the way to go.

Opinions?

inthefrey
05-07-2010, 09:49
Where do I begin?

1st off, I never upgrade. When my rig will no longer play the latest games, the wife gets a new (my old) PC.:supergrin:

I buy the absolute best there is at the time of sale. This is usually tough to do in an industry that is constantly changing and doesn't appear to be slowing down at all. Buying a PC or PC components is exactly like buying a car - It loses value the second you walk out the door or UPS drops it off at your house.
I have an IP35 MB with a Intel dual-core running Win 7/64. It has about 1T of Raid 1 storage in it now -all video - and it's starting to get tired.

I'd start here.
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

Then New Egg to see what is good and what is crap coming from Korea and China. **product reviews are key**

It looks like the 3.33GHz i7 is stomping just about everything today.

That is all...

Good Luck!

stooxie
05-08-2010, 10:29
Maybe a silly question but do you know which of the components is the bottle neck? Could be CPU, drives, memory or graphics card.

-Stooxie