Mossberg 500 problem. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 500 problem.

Hedo1
05-05-2010, 11:39
I have a Mossberg 500 with a side saddle on it. It's about 10 yrs. old and has 500 or so rounds through it.

Took it out today to do some blasting. Put 4 in the tube and went to rack it. It stuck. I mean it stuck hard. Bolt is jammed about 1/2 way down into the receiver and the foregrip can't be budged. First round is still in the mag tube. The chamber is visible empty.

Anybody have any idea what caused it and/or a possible solution?

I am glad this happened on the range facing a mean looking piece of paper!

ctfireman
05-05-2010, 13:48
Damn.....kinda stumped.

DaGroaner
05-05-2010, 17:08
Did you disassemble and reassemble it before you put it away last? I wonder if your action bars and your bolt were proberly engaged when it was last assembled.

Jon_R
05-05-2010, 17:50
What type of sidesaddle?

I just put on a Mesa Sidesaddle on my 590 and you have to replace the Ejector Screw. I could see how if you did not get it tight or it worked itself out a bit it would really jam up the action about as you described. I got mine tight and put some lock tight on it.

I don't know if replacing the ejector screw is done for other side saddles this is my first one.

Hedo1
05-06-2010, 08:31
Well I took it apart last night in my workshop. Found the culprit.

The side saddle screw (tacstar) worked itself loose ever so slightly. I was able to tighten it up and work the bolt. I ejected the rounds from the mag tube at that point. Took the screw out and beveled the edge a little and put some locktite on it. Put it back together and no problem. I'll test fire it today to make sure the screw stays put. It held for about 300 rounds so I'm optomistic that this will solve my problem.

Jon_R
05-06-2010, 08:33
Ejector screw?

Hedo1
05-06-2010, 11:29
Ejector screw?

Jon,

Yes the ejector screw. Part 9 on their manual I believe.