Fianlly had time to test my old chrono [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Fianlly had time to test my old chrono

XDRoX
05-05-2010, 12:39
Finally had a few extra minutes so I screwed the two screens to a 2x4 exactly 12 inches apart. I set the dials inside the unit to "0" and "1", which tells it 1ft apart, and tested it with a BB gun in my backyard.

And it worked:wow:
For such an old piece of equipment I was pretty surprised.
Not only did it work, but it tells you the ES, SD, hi, and low after you're done shooting. It seemed to work fine without any diffusers. Do I really need to buy some? What would the benifit be?

I'm considering canceling my M35 order now and maybe buying some SSIII screens for this unit. They come with diffusers.

Oh ya, and before I forget to say it, no, the units was not sitting right next to the screens when I took my shots.:supergrin: I made sure it was real far away. I just put it there for the picture.

http://members.cox.net/chrismosteller/oehler1.jpg

ron59
05-05-2010, 13:41
The diffusers are for use when it's not cloudy (ie, clear and sunny), the suggested use. The screens don't like bright light

Jumper
05-05-2010, 13:45
Hold your horses there XD! Before I cancelled my Oehler 35 order (assuming I was as fortunate as the 500 or so chosen ones) I'd give that thing a real test. If you have anything that shoots .223, load up some boat tail bullets and fire them over different areas of the sensors. The .223 HPBT is probably the hardest type of bullet for a chrono to detect. If it gets them all, and none of the readings look screwy then it works like an Oehler should. If I was you, I'd sell my working model 33 and still get the model 35. A third proof screen is hard to beat.

Colorado4Wheel
05-05-2010, 13:48
You have a working chrono. Sounds like you need some sky screens and your done. I don't see the point of a expensive new 35 when the one you have is going to work just fine. $560 will buy alot of other things. Also have to wonder if because it's such a limited item if perhaps one day you won't be able to get parts. That would worry me a lot with a $560 chrono/printer combo.

Colorado4Wheel
05-05-2010, 13:51
A third proof screen is hard to beat.

For $560 you can buy two CED M2's and run them in tandem and still pay less then the Ohlear 35. Thats exactly what the do at Nationals and other big matchs. Well, they put them in a box, run them on IR and run them tandem so they get two readings.

XDRoX
05-05-2010, 13:51
Hold your horses there XD! Before I cancelled my Oehler 35 order (assuming I was as fortunate as the 500 or so chosen ones) I'd give that thing a real test. If you have anything that shoots .223, load up some boat tail bullets and fire them over different areas of the sensors. The .223 HPBT is probably the hardest type of bullet for a chrono to detect. If it gets them all, and none of the readings look screwy then it works like an Oehler should. If I was you, I'd sell my working model 33 and still get the model 35. A third proof screen is hard to beat.

Thanks for the advice. I'm pretty sure anyone can call up and place an order though. I didn't hear about the 500 limit. They also put them on their site for sale today.
Oehler told me that my Model 33 will work with the Model 35 screens. So I'm considering just buying the new screens. They're $45 each and I'd only need two, and they come with the diffusers.
I will consider what you said though,
Thanks

XDRoX
05-05-2010, 14:39
You have a working chrono. Sounds like you need some sky screens and your done. I don't see the point of a expensive new 35 when the one you have is going to work just fine. $560 will buy alot of other things. Also have to wonder if because it's such a limited item if perhaps one day you won't be able to get parts. That would worry me a lot with a $560 chrono/printer combo.

I think you're right Steve. For under $100 I can get new screens with diffusers and I'll be all set. If my old Model 33 has lasted this long I'm pretty sure it'll last a few more years at least.

Plus I already told my wife I spent $600 on a new gun thing. She already got mad and got over it. So I have two options. Tell her I decided not to get the new chrono, or spend the $600 on some other gun thing.:whistling:

fredj338
05-05-2010, 14:41
Thanks for the advice. I'm pretty sure anyone can call up and place an order though. I didn't hear about the 500 limit. They also put them on their site for sale today.
Oehler told me that my Model 33 will work with the Model 35 screens. So I'm considering just buying the new screens. They're $45 each and I'd only need two, and they come with the diffusers.
I will consider what you said though,
Thanks
I have to agree w/ C4W, it's a bunch of money to spend & yo ualready have a working Oehler! The only thing I owuld do is change your screen spacing to 24" & go w/ that. The 12" spacing will not be quite as accurate.

Colorado4Wheel
05-05-2010, 15:10
I think you're right Steve. For under $100 I can get new screens with diffusers and I'll be all set. If my old Model 33 has lasted this long I'm pretty sure it'll last a few more years at least.

Plus I already told my wife I spent $600 on a new gun thing. She already got mad and got over it. So I have two options. Tell her I decided not to get the new chrono, or spend the $600 on some other gun thing.:whistling:

Thats easy, I will PM you my adress. Send me the money.

Colorado4Wheel
05-05-2010, 15:26
For what it's worth, I would figure out what the cost of that unit really is. If it's more then a CED sell it get the CED. For example the CED sky screen set is much cheaper. Only $25. IR set is $90. I don't know how deep your into the Ohlear but at $100 for a set of screens your into a pretty expensive setup already. Can you even put IR screens on the Oehler?

XDRoX
05-05-2010, 15:35
For what it's worth, I would figure out what the cost of that unit really is. If it's more then a CED sell it get the CED. For example the CED sky screen set is much cheaper. Only $25. IR set is $90. I don't know how deep your into the Ohlear but at $100 for a set of screens your into a pretty expensive setup already. Can you even put IR screens on the Oehler?

Maybe I'll take it out with the screens that I have and see how it works. The problem is I can't find any info on the screens. They say Sky Screen II on them. And they have no place to attach diffusers. So either they don't require diffusers, or I have to build them onto the 2x4.

I would really like to know what the difference is between the Sky Screen II and the Sky Screen III is.

The unit certainly didn't have any problem picking up a BB in the partial shade/partial sunlight under the tree in my backyard.

Could it be that the Sky Screen II's don't require diffusers:dunno:

Colorado4Wheel
05-05-2010, 15:41
Quality of light makes the biggest difference in accuarcy of a chrono. So skyscreens (diffusers) are important. You may just need to attach them to the wood board in some way. It sounds like you have a set of skyscreens (difusers) so get the thing built with a 2ft spacing, diffusers over the sensors and start using it. Who cares if the version you have is the #2 and they sell a #3. Just start using what you got. Personally, I think $100 for a set of skyscreens at are simple diffusers and NOT IR is a totally rip off. Way to much money.

GioaJack
05-05-2010, 16:04

Take the $600, spend a hundred of it at Victoria's Secret, four hundred and fifty of it for a down payment on a new gun and waste the rest of it on groceries.

Jeeze... ya gotta tell these young guys everything. :faint:

Jack

n2extrm
05-05-2010, 18:40
XD I would probabley just use what you have. If it works and you can get some screens riged up you are all set and done. Those Ohlers are known to last and work well. Save the money for something else or buy a CED. I wouldn't spend $500 plus on the chrono if I had a good working unit. Did you ask Ohler if they have screens for the model you have? My friend has an older Ohler and has gotten support/parts from them for his.

By the way nice shooting! It still works!

srd
05-05-2010, 20:38
Hey Jack ...i was thinking the same thing. Maybe its because with 7 exwives between us we have learned a few things along the way.