LW barrel for G23 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : LW barrel for G23

FLSlim
05-05-2010, 18:55
I hope this isn't rehashing an old question, but I just received a Lone Wolf replacement barrel for my G23 (to be used with reloads). I dropped a few rounds in the chamber of the new barrel, just to see the fit, and it is tight! A few rounds needed a little shake to fall home. The same rounds fit in the 40 case gage. Is this typical of the LW 40 barrels for the G23?

JR
05-05-2010, 20:28
The LWD barrels feature a match grade chamber. A factory loaded round will have no problem dropping in this chamber. Reloaders often claim their loads are to factory specifications however the chamber drop test proves otherwise. If your ammunition will not fit into a LWD chamber there are 2 solutions you can choose from.

1 Pick up a Redding push through resizing die and get your brass back to factory spec
2 Load up 4 or 5 dummy rounds (no powder or primer) and include them with the barrel when you return it. We will open up the chamber to fit your loads.

FLSlim
05-05-2010, 21:11
Thanks JR. I already have a Redding push through. I'll try to work through this with what I have. If it proves to be a problem I'll move on to option 2. I appreciate the quick response and helpfulness! Off to the range tomorrow to see what is what...

JR
05-06-2010, 10:45
WOW. The Redding die has a great reputation with our barrels. Try dropping the resized brass into the chamber before loading. It should drop right in, this will confirm the brass is not the problem.
I suspect bullet profile, OAL or bullet crimp is the issue here.

FLSlim
05-06-2010, 17:45
JR, I checked all of my reloads this am. Out of 200, 4 wouldn't drop clean (probably an eight to a sixteenth short of fully seating) in the new barrel, but with a gentle push they seated. These rounds wouldn't drop clear when inverting the muzzle, but it didn't take any effort to grab and pull them free. Why these few were a problem I don't know (perhaps case length/crimp)--they were from different load dates. Regardless, this seems like a non-issue at this point. Couldn't get to the range today but will be there tomorrow to check out the new barrel. BTW, I already had a LW 40 to 9 mm conversion and it works wonderfully! Thanks again.

JR
05-06-2010, 19:51
If the rounds drop into the chamber there will not be a feed issue. You are good to go.