Best source for components??? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Best source for components???

KiloBravo
05-05-2010, 19:30
Okay. I just got the email today from the gun shop that my press and everything else will be in sometime next week.

Where do all you guys like to order components? I would like start with pistol. It will probably be .45 since it is the most expensive to buy factory ammo for.

I need everything...Bullets, powder, primers, etc.

I also wanted to confirm that .45 uses large pistol primers??? But I have learned that .380, 9MM, etc all use small pistol primers. Is that right?

I have heard PowderValley is a good outfit to deal with, but I am open to suggestions. I would prefer to buy as much as possible in bulk to save some $$$.

harleyfx69
05-05-2010, 19:33
you need to read the ABC's of reloading or similar beginers manual..

also get a good manual and it will answer your component questions..

KiloBravo
05-05-2010, 19:36
you need to read the ABC's of reloading or similar beginers manual..

That is funny you say that...I am sitting here reading it right now in between posts. :supergrin:

harleyfx69
05-05-2010, 20:02
okay as long as thats out of the way,

your .45 acp brass is large pistol, the others are small pistol..

for most guns you can use lead bullets which drops your costs, but ups your cleaning time,

i like bear creek moly coated rounds, i can push them hot thru a 10mm and no issues come up,

also hornady XTP's for your hunting rounds, again are reasonable price and can be pushed hot, anywhere from midway to grafs carries em IIRC,

also have berry's for practice rounds,

got those at local shop though, he has real good prices ..

IndyGunFreak
05-05-2010, 20:03
http://www.grafs.com
http://www.powdervalleyinc.com

Bullets:
http://www.montanagoldbullet.com/

There's plenty of options beyond the above, but thats what I use.

harleyfx69
05-05-2010, 20:04
also for starting with .45 , i liked win231 powder, run a bit above minimums and you get a pretty clean burn, when it was at the minimum i was getting hit with unburnt powder and it was a smoky mess..

with the .45 i load em just over the "functional" in the gun point, and to where its a fairly accurate load.. i dont go nuclear or +p with them, i have others for that purpose..

Firecop203
05-05-2010, 20:13
okay as long as thats out of the way,

your .45 acp brass is large pistol, the others are small pistol..

for most guns you can use lead bullets which drops your costs, but ups your cleaning time,

i like bear creek moly coated rounds, i can push them hot thru a 10mm and no issues come up,

also hornady XTP's for your hunting rounds, again are reasonable price and can be pushed hot, anywhere from midway to grafs carries em IIRC,

also have berry's for practice rounds,

got those at local shop though, he has real good prices ..

This is some .45 ACP brass out there called NT. It uses a small primer. You'll come to a screeching halt during reloading if you run across one.

DWARREN123
05-05-2010, 21:53
Primers and powder are cheaper local (no shipping) because of the Haz-Mat fee. Other things depend on weight. I like to buy local as much as possible to support local businesses.
I use SnS Casting lead bullets and like them greatly in 40 S&W, WWW.SNSCASTING.COM (http://www.SNSCASTING.COM)
Most brass for 45 ACP uses large pistol primer but NT types use small pistol primers.
Ask around for local reloaders and see if they can mentor you, learn stuff and make friends.

ron59
05-06-2010, 04:16
Primers and powder are cheaper local (no shipping) because of the Haz-Mat fee.

While he's going through powder experimentation, yes. But if he's going to some SHOOTING, then it's way cheaper online.

I buy my powder in 8lb cannisters from PV, and even with hazmat it's cheaper than buying eight 1lb cannisters local, by far.

I also buy primers 10,000 at a time. Even with hazmat, they're $27 per 1000 where the best price in the Charlotte region is $40 per 1000. Ummmmm... no thank you. I'd support my local shops, but they are THIEVES. One wants $600 for a stock G17. The other (where I bought mine) charges $559. I went in there last week to see about them FFL'ing for me as I won a Glock in a GSSF competition. They said sure, but their FFL fee was $75.

$75? When I see most people say their FFL fees are $25? Again I say, "Ummmmmm.... no thank you". Both of my local shops can go out of business, as far as I'm concerned.

shotgunred
05-06-2010, 04:48
Primer are hard to find. Get some were ever you can find them. you can save money by ordering online at the places listed above just plan on waiting 6 months for them.

Last month I bought 8 pounds of WSF locally for $110. Better than mail order. But that doesn't normally happen. Shop around.

I am a fan of Montana golds also.

gwalchmai
05-06-2010, 06:23
PVI has Wolf primers in stock as of yesterday. I've found them to work more or less the same as Winchester. As noted, you have to buy in quantity to offset the shipping and HAZMAT costs. If you can get together with other local buys it can help.

I too use Bear Creek moly boolits and am very pleased with them.

I see you are in PA. Check out www.pennbullets.com. You may be local to him.

KiloBravo
05-06-2010, 19:01
Thanks so much to everybody for their input!!! I am bookmarking every source I come across for stuff. I really appreciate it.

Jon_R
05-06-2010, 19:05
http://www.grafs.com
http://www.powdervalleyinc.com

Bullets:
http://www.montanagoldbullet.com/

There's plenty of options beyond the above, but thats what I use.

+1 That is what I use. I never got into using exposed lead for reloading and just stuck with FMJ and Jacketed HPs and I shoot ~10K rounds a year in pistol in the family.

dudel
05-06-2010, 19:53
That is funny you say that...I am sitting here reading it right now in between posts. :supergrin:

Maybe you should read it before posts instead of between. :whistling:

In any event, ABC is a techniques book, and less of a load manual. You will need to get one of them as well. If you're looking for "recipes", then the LoadBook for the caliber you want is the way to go. No technique; but heavy on a wide variety of loads. Using the Loadbook, you'll be able to see what powder you can find, which will to some degree determine your projectiles. If it's projectiles you select first (depending on the application), then Loadbooks will point you to a suitable powder.

As to who/where to buy them from, I start with local; then look to the internet. On the net, I'd stick to the big names (Midway, Midsouth, Grafs, Powder Valley, Sinclair). Cabela's and Gander Mountain, keep coming up as big names to avoid, though YMMV.

Once you settle on a projectile, and can't get what you want from some of the big names, there are some smaller players that people here seem to like. Of course it depends of if you want FMJ, plated or lead.

KiloBravo
05-06-2010, 19:56
Maybe you should read it before posts instead of between. :whistling:

In any event, ABC is a techniques book, and less of a load manual. You will need to get one of them as well. If you're looking for "recipes", then the LoadBook for the caliber you want is the way to go. No technique; but heavy on a wide variety of loads. Using the Loadbook, you'll be able to see what powder you can find, which will to some degree determine your projectiles. If it's projectiles you select first (depending on the application), then Loadbooks will point you to a suitable powder.

As to who/where to buy them from, I start with local; then look to the internet. On the net, I'd stick to the big names (Midway, Midsouth, Grafs, Powder Valley, Sinclair). Cabela's and Gander Mountain, keep coming up as big names to avoid, though YMMV.

Once you settle on a projectile, and can't get what you want from some of the big names, there are some smaller players that people here seem to like. Of course it depends of if you want FMJ, plated or lead.

Excellent post and I greatly appreciate you taking the time to write it. You nailed exactly the type of info I was looking for as well. I just forgot to mention it in my first post. I was wondering if selecting one component would steer my towards a particular brand or make of something else.

I do have the Hornady 8th edition load manual. I plan on picking up another one next week when I get my equipment.

Glock21sf-miami
05-07-2010, 13:38
Since I'm still experimenting with powders, I buy powders and primers locally ($32 per 1,000 Large Pistol).

I order bullets from Montana Gold and I am very happy with them.

Bought my press online at Cabelas...

glockerbob
05-07-2010, 14:09
4.6 gr. of bulleseye behind a 200 gr. swc is a real tackdriver. like this powder cause u get so many loadings out of a pound and its good shootin.......