Just Ordered Some New Equipment [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Just Ordered Some New Equipment

DEADLYACCURATE
05-05-2010, 19:59
Well after thinking about it for the past couple weeks I have finally decided to take the plunge into the world of shotshell reloading. I just completed my orders from Midway USA and Powder Valley. I got the following items.

Midway USA

Mec 600 jr Mark 5
Mec powder bushings 20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,31 (the press comes with 29, 30, 32)
Mec 1oz charge bar (the press comes with 1 1/8oz)
WAA12SL wads
Lyman Shotshell Reloading 5th Edition

Powder Valley

1lb WST powder
1lb Win Super Handicap powder
1k Win 209 primers
25lbs Magnum shot

I have ordered powder, shot, and primers in small proportions to make sure I like em before I buy in bulk.

If there is anything else I should get please don't hesitate to tell me.

I got the single stage because it is cheap, and I won't need many shells per week, so please don't recommend another press.

Thanks for reading :wavey:

XDRoX
05-05-2010, 20:36
I know nothing about shotgun reloading but congrats on the new equipment. I'm sure it'll be a lot of fun learning to reload for shotgun.

DEADLYACCURATE
05-05-2010, 20:39
I know nothing about shotgun reloading but congrats on the new equipment. I'm sure it'll be a lot of fun learning to reload for shotgun.

Thanks. If for some reason I don't want to reload with it it should be easy to sell it for a small loss.

GioaJack
05-06-2010, 06:00
FLESHWOUNDACCURATE:

If you can latch on to a source of reclaimed lead buy and load that. Shoots every bit as good as new chilled lead at half the price. If a commercial reclaimer processes it it will be cleaned, sized and re-graphited... you won't be able to tell the difference... except for the extra jingle in your pocket.

While AA wads are very good Windjammer and Claybuster wads are just as good and as with reclaimed lead, considerably cheaper. A penny saved is a... a, it's a... well hell, it's a penny saved.

If you can find off brand 209 primers cheaper than the Winchesters they will also work well. They used to be considerably cheaper but with today's availability I'm not sure.

If your goal is to load target loads probably the two best hulls are the old Winchester AA and the newer Remingtons. I understand the new AA have gone to a two piece design and are not as desirable as the older style. I still have AA's that are over 40 years old that are just as pristine as the day I first shot 'em.

Hull condition is not nearly as important as with pistol cases... you'll be surprised how many times you can reload a AA with a little judicious use of masking tape and a drop of candle wax.

There's a plethora of good shotgun powders out there and you're list looks fine... you won't notice as much of a difference in powder as you will in pistol or rifle.

I started with Red Dot then Winchester Ball when the first introduced it in the 60's then finally ended up with Clays which I liked very much. Ad long as they go bang and powder a clay bird that's pretty much all you need.

Congrats on your new stuff... the only way you can go wrong with any MEC machine is if you drop it on your foot.

Jack