Benelli m4 choke tubes? Should I get Trulock chokes? Slugs in a full choke? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Benelli m4 choke tubes? Should I get Trulock chokes? Slugs in a full choke?

alfred10
05-05-2010, 21:39
I want to be able to shoot anything from bird shot to buck shot to rifled or smooth bored slugs in my Benelli M4 combat shotgun. How much tighter of a pattern will I get with a full choke compared to an improved cylinder? Is the improved cylinder the tightest I can get while being able to safely shoot all slugs? Are trulock chokes the best? I believe the Benelli comes with a factory modified choke. How far can I pattern buck shot with a modified, full, and open choke?
http://www.trulockchokes.com/cgi-bin/eShop/index.cgi

method
05-05-2010, 22:11
Your modified choke would probably do better with slugs and possibly even buck than a full choke. Full can be too much constriction for larger shot, and can distort the pellets' shapes as they pass through, resulting in larger patterns.

I usually pattern buck at 15 and 20 yards. Some loads like Federal's Flight Control stuff or Dixie's Tri Ball pattern well out to 40+ yards. Slugs get shot for groups starting at 25 yards.

N/Apower
05-09-2010, 21:35
I have found MOD constriction to be the best out of my M4S90 for buck. Anything IC/MOD works for slugs. Full WOULD work, but lead up fast and definitely not optimal, just saying it's "safe" from a technical standpoint. I prefer Briley.