After reading about all the problems with reloading the 357SIG... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : After reading about all the problems with reloading the 357SIG...

jeffreybehr
05-06-2010, 01:42
...I wondered how difficult it would be. Turned out not bad at all.

My Lee 3-piece dies arrived yesterday and I got started. I decided to be even-more careful than I usually am in setting the seating die. I started with the loose barrel and slide. There was minimal play of the barrel in the slide, and that remained with 3 different factory loads. I adjusted the sizing die to reduce that slightly with sized-cases-only in the chamber. The mouth-expander/charging die ended set to bell the mouth just visibly. I set the taper-crimp die to just visibly crimp the mouth, and set OAL at c. 1.135".

I started with Berry's 125g. plated HPs, my goal being to create a high-velocity-but-inexpensive practice round that made spectacular kills on water jugs. I already had WSF and Longshot powders and bought some 800-X. Loaded 5 rounds each of 10 loads and tested them for function, etc., late yesterday (until my chrono wouldn't work in the gloom). Evaluated 10-each today and got higher velocities than I expected ven tho I'm using a 4-1/2" Lone Wolf barrel in my 32. Velocities at 10 feet got to the mid or high 1400s with Longshot and 800-X, respectively, but group sizes with WSF were significantly larger than those from the other 2 powders, so I won't be using WSF with the XTP 124s on the way. Can't yet find Accurate9 locally or I would have tried that too.

I blew up a few 1-gallon waterjugs with the Berry 125HPs and both bullets stayed together better than I expected. Won't be using them for PD, tho. :whistling: The factory-loaded Speer Gold Dot 125 performed approximately perfectly, as I expected.

I'll e-mail an image of my data if you request to jeffreybehr(at)cox(dot)net, but the usual warnings apply.

This longer-barrel-snouted 32 will be a keeper, as will my pair of 37s (.45GAP) for USPSA competition in Production class.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k220/jeffreybehr/Glock%2032/32wLWbarrelfronttopqrtr.jpg

I intend to research muzzle flash with various powders, since my otherwise-fave in that area, Universal, isn't very suitable for the loads I want.

MinervaDoe
05-07-2010, 13:33
I started with Berry's 125g. plated HPs, .... Velocities at 10 feet got to the mid or high 1400s with Longshot and 800-X, respectively...
That's too fast for a plated bullet. Ranier says to limit plated bullets to 1,200 fps. so does Berry's

Velocities depend on the caliber, but as a rule of thumb, we recommend you don't shoot our plated bullets over 1200 feet-per-second. Our 44's actually shoot best around 1150 fps. 45's are generally good at 850-900 fps. Our bullets are not recommended for magnum velocities. http://www.berrysmfg.com/faq-q10-c1-How_fast_can_I_shoot_these_bullets.aspx

Q. Do your bullets have ANY velocity restrictions?
A. In general, our bullets typically perform their best when shot at velocities no greater than 1,200 to 1,250 Feet per second (FPS). http://www.rainierballistics.com/mainframe.htm

jeffreybehr
05-07-2010, 16:56
You, Berry's, and Rainier may well be generally correct, but the bullets are accurate in the 1300s and 1400s, and the one I recovered after going thru 3 1-gallon waterjugs and cracking the far wall of the 4th stayed together even while losing significant mass.

I have a bunch more XTPs coming, so maybe the Berry's bullets will be merely standard-velocity practice loads.