First time out with my G20 - Pulling my shots to the left. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : First time out with my G20 - Pulling my shots to the left.

DougC
05-06-2010, 08:16
I took my new G20 out to the range yesterday afternoon. Very nice pistol and I'm very glad that I bought it! Anywho, I didn't have much time to shoot but what I did notice in short order is that I am pulling my shots to the left. Do you guys have any thoughts on what I may be doing wrong and how to go about correcting it? I know I've got to hit the range hard but I don't want to continue practicing without some sort of idea as to what I am doing wrong and some idea of how to correct my problem. Come to think of it, I always managed to pull my shots left with my G23 too. Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

HOV
05-06-2010, 08:23
Short of asking you which hand & eye is dominant, and asking about what kind of grip you use, I'd say that the two best ways to improve accuracy are:

1. Practice dry firing with snap caps, with very close attention to working the trigger while watching the front sight to make sure it doesn't move when the trigger breaks (key here is death grip)

2. When shooting live ammo, be just a bit surprised when the round goes off.

DougC
05-06-2010, 08:45
Short of asking you which hand & eye is dominant, and asking about what kind of grip you use, I'd say that the two best ways to improve accuracy are:

1. Practice dry firing with snap caps, with very close attention to working the trigger while watching the front sight to make sure it doesn't move when the trigger breaks (key here is death grip)

2. When shooting live ammo, be just a bit surprised when the round goes off.

Guess I should have included this info from the start.... I am right eye and right hand dominant. As for my grip and stance I've tried the Weaver and Isosceles.

Thank you for your suggestions!

Gunnuts10mm
05-06-2010, 09:04
Try shooting at this target (https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/xythoswfs/webui/_xy-10407709_2-t_RmSXUJ7c).

DougC
05-06-2010, 09:13
Try shooting at this target (https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/xythoswfs/webui/_xy-10407709_2-t_RmSXUJ7c).

Thank you! I'll print this out and take it to my next range trip. Gotta get some snap caps too.

HOV
05-06-2010, 09:22
Mas Ayoob recommended this experiment which I found to have value:

1. Hold your dominant gun gripping hand loosely in front of you as if you were holding a cup that isn't there. Your fingers should be naturally curled.

2. Work your index finger as if you're working a trigger. Observe the sympathetic motion of your middle and ring fingers.

3. Now tighten your hand into a death grip fist except for your trigger finger.

4. Repeat step #2, there should be no sympathetic motion.

This is the argument in favor of a death grip. Another benefit of death grip is that it prevents limp wristing. It works very well for me; I spend a lot of time every evening death gripping and dry firing and have found that yet another benefit of this is that it makes even awkward Glock grips feel natural after a few weeks.

chemboy
05-06-2010, 09:24
Depending on your hand size, i.e., medium to small- you may be shifting your grip slightly between shots, which for me, will tend to throw shots low and to the left.
I had that issue with the 20/21 as well as 29/30 sized frames.
The SF's are helping me considerably in that regard.

leadslinger13
05-07-2010, 05:06
Pulling shots low and to left ... say about 7 o'clock position?..your are probably squeezing or pulling with support hand with anticipation of recoil. It was an issue with my shooting the 20 for a while. I haven't shot it for a couple of months as work has keep me from the range. Went out two days ago and its back. You just need to work on grip pay more attention to support hand.

Kegs
05-07-2010, 07:35
I use adjustable sights. Interesting how many bullseyes I hit with them once I adjust the accuracy of the gun. :supergrin:

DougC
05-07-2010, 13:09
Thank you everyone!