Advantage arms Model 29/30 LE .22 conversion kit - anyone else got one? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Advantage arms Model 29/30 LE .22 conversion kit - anyone else got one?

Kegs
05-06-2010, 08:28
I love this little conversion kit. It turns my 29SF into the lightest rimfire pistol I have ever felt - and I have been able to get some pretty good precision out of this little bugger too. I changed the sights out to some Dawson precision fiber optic front w/fully adjustable rear and I am quite happy with the results.

I can see this kit coming in handy while backpacking, etc. No need to take or get used to shooting more than one pistol - it's like having two pistols in one.

I am in the mode of testing what is the best ammo for this unit right now. I never liked buying bulk ammo at walmart - but the kit does seem to have designed to shoot Remington rimfire ammo. It really does well with:

Remington Golden bullet (so far 1 dud in about 200 rounds)
Remington target
Federal #719 target
CCI velocitor.

Other ammo I have tried in it jams or won't move the slide back (sometimes the slide won't move back even with the above ammo).

The little 3.78" barrel won't allow for maximum velocity in these rounds. I expect the high velocity rounds are only going sub 900 fps out the gate, but it's still cheap to shoot and a lot of fun to boot.

I guess I've had maybe 500 rounds through this unit so far - and it needs to really be lubed up well to function properly.

Anyone else have one of these compact 10mm to .22lr conversion kits?

Cam Cooke
07-19-2010, 10:47
I have a G20 with an AA 22LR kit that works great and I am looking for one of these conversion kits for my G29 right now my problem is with being in Canada the stock barrel length is shorter than I am legally allowed to import so I need a longer extended barrel.

AA tells me that their 4.4" extended 19-23 barrel will do the job with a little modification but they do not do these kinds of mods/special orders at the factory so I need to find a kit in the States have someone fit the extended barrel then export it to me in Canada.

May not be worth the cost to get this done. :dunno:

Kegs
07-19-2010, 16:12
AA tells me that their 4.4" extended 19-23 barrel will do the job with a little modification but they do not do these kinds of mods/special orders at the factory so I need to find a kit in the States have someone fit the extended barrel then export it to me in Canada.

May not be worth the cost to get this done. :dunno:

What needs to be done? I can probably do it. I was just thinking how nice it would be to have an extended barrel for my own pistol - and as you know, they don't make the extended barrel for the 29/30 (Why I don't know - maybe not as popular as the others?).

Cam Cooke
07-19-2010, 16:40
Not sure what mods need to be done here is their email to me.

> On Sat, 2010-07-10 at 11:33 -0700, Advantage Arms wrote:

>> Our extended 19-23 barrel will do the job with a little modification.
>>
>> The 19-23 extended barrel is 4.4" long.> On Sat, 2010-07-10 at 11:33 -0700, Advantage Arms wrote:
>> Our extended 19-23 barrel will do the job with a little modification.
>> The
>> 19-23 extended barrel is 4.4" long.
>>
>> There is however a problem. We don't custom make kits and, you will
>> need
>> to buy the 29-30 kit, and the 19-23 extended barrel from a dealer who is
>> willing to export them to Canada.
>>
>> Sorry I couldn't be more help.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Advantage Arms

Kegs
07-19-2010, 20:25
That's not exactly helpful. I wonder what the modification is...a little metal removed? If that is the case, piece of cake.

Cam Cooke
07-19-2010, 20:39
I know but at least I now know it is doable.

AA tells me that they are out of stock for the G29/30 kits right now and it will be about 8 weeks before they have stock.

I'm not in a hurry to do this have a few other projects that I have to finish first but at least I can start working towards this goal now.

Just hope with import/export fees it doesn't turn this into such an expensive acquisition that I drop the idea.

cheez
07-20-2010, 04:19
I don't have one for my G30 but I really want one. :)

snowcrash75
07-20-2010, 10:14
I've got one for my wife's G17 and it's fantastic! Kegs, you are totally right about running it a little wet. I just added a needle oiler to the case it comes in, and give it 4 drops of love whenever I swap slides. Also, I found with mine that if you try to load more than 7 or 8 rounds in the mags initially, you can have some feeding problems, but after the mag springs break in a little that problem fades away. I put about 250 rds through it yesterday with one dud and NO failures to feed. I feed mine Remington Gold Bullet 550 value packs exclusively, and have very few issues. Even though they are filthy little buggers, the amount of time i spend cleaning is still nowhere near the amount of extra range time this kit helps me to afford.
I see that TacSol is coming out with an all steel .22 conversion for glocks, but again, I have to agree with Kegs that this setup with aluminum slide and steel barrel turns the G17 into a featherweight, which is loads of fun, and super friendly to first time shooters who might be a little intimidated by heavier weapons with more kick. I know the $275 I spent on this get my wife to the range with me 3-4 times a month. I challenge anyone to find better spent money than that :D
Kegs, can you post a link to the fiberoptic front sight you installed? I've been considering this myself as the one upgrade that I'd really like.

Cam Cooke
07-20-2010, 10:45
Here is a short youtube video of my son shooting my G20 with the AA 22LR conversion kit...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFQ_8tei-NI

Kegs
07-21-2010, 12:24
Kegs, can you post a link to the fiberoptic front sight you installed? I've been considering this myself as the one upgrade that I'd really like.

http://www.shootersplus.com/inc/sdetail/5595

snowcrash75
07-21-2010, 21:27

527varmint
07-22-2010, 21:11
I got the G20 conversion and I love it! I have about 1,000 round thru mine. All remington golden bullets. For some reason this kit sprays me in the face with powder. On the very first shot it really peppered my face. Thank god I had shooting glasses on. It has done it once or twice since but not nearly as bad. just make sure you have eye protection. I got maybe 3 or 4 problems in the first 100 rounds. I got maybe 1 or two in the next 100. The problem was failure to strip the next round from the mag. I think it didn't slide all the way back. Between rounds 250-1,000 I have had ZERO malfunctions other then 2 dud bullets but that was the ammo.

I haven't cleaned it in like 600 rounds still running good.

It's tough to decide if I should carry the 10mm for predator protection or carry the conversion for rabbits when hunting with the shotgun!

Need to get some mepro sights to match the glock slide.

I love that I can shoot .22lr till i'm blue in the face. What stops me is my fingers get SOOO sore from loading the mag and the trigger. I wear shooting gloves now.

THe golden bullets leave that brass stuff all inside the glock frame it gets on everything. Make sure you clean it all out when you clean up the gun for carry reliabilty.

Kegs
07-29-2010, 08:30
I got maybe 3 or 4 problems in the first 100 rounds. I got maybe 1 or two in the next 100. The problem was failure to strip the next round from the mag. I think it didn't slide all the way back. Between rounds 250-1,000 I have had ZERO malfunctions other then 2 dud bullets but that was the ammo.

That has been similar to my experience, though I had many more problems earlier on than just 3 or 4. Now it seems it is running very good even reasonably dry.

I haven't cleaned it in like 600 rounds still running good.

It's tough to decide if I should carry the 10mm for predator protection or carry the conversion for rabbits when hunting with the shotgun!

Well, that's why l like this conversion - I only carry one gun and it's all I need - when hunting small game, I just change to .22.

THe golden bullets leave that brass stuff all inside the glock frame it gets on everything. Make sure you clean it all out when you clean up the gun for carry reliabilty.

Never had that happen to me, but I clean the entire gun every time I am done with a session. A session being 50-150 rounds or so.

Cam Cooke
07-29-2010, 08:41
I originally tried about 10 - 12 different types of 22LR ammo and had a few issues with failure to feed with some of them and still do when I use them so I don't ever use them... :)

Kegs
07-29-2010, 19:19
I originally tried about 10 - 12 different types of 22LR ammo and had a few issues with failure to feed with some of them and still do when I use them so I don't ever use them... :)

Yup - like everyone else is saying, just go with the Rem. golden bullets 550 value pack - that's what the thing likes to eat, despite a few duds in the box from time to time.

I have shot my best groups using these and Rem. green and blue box target. Frankly, I don't think there is much difference between those two, so I'll just plan on using the 550 packs.