Mossberg 500 "Road Blocker" [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 500 "Road Blocker"

MajesticLT03
05-06-2010, 14:54
I am thinking about getting a "Road Blocker" as a HD and range gun and was wondering if any of you guys have one and what you think about it.. (pros and cons)

I dont want to spend mega money on a shotgun and this one fits my budget nicely

ScrappyDoo
05-06-2010, 15:04
I really like the extreme tacticool nature of this and the Rolling Thunder, but I feel like its useless without the spec ops stock IMHO.

NOT USELESS forgive me. I just mean its extremely MORE useful with a nice spec ops stock. Then IMHO it becomes a HD SOLUTION / SYSTEM weapon rather than a boomstick toy/breacher. But when ya gonna breach something?

MajesticLT03
05-06-2010, 15:08
I can always add a stock to it.. I believe :dunno:

it just has that badassness factor going for it with the M82 style muzzle brake :wow:

USMC03Grunt
05-06-2010, 18:22
'badassness factor"???? I thought it was for comic relief? Seriously, have you ever seen professional shooters using anything like outside of the cheesy Steven Segal straight to DVD discount bargin bin movies? I have yet to see anybody buying such a thing but the day I do, I hope I have enough tact to not laugh in their face for it....but I probably lack that level of self-discipline. Oh well.:whistling:

itstime
05-06-2010, 18:40
'badassness factor"???? I thought it was for comic relief? Seriously, have you ever seen professional shooters using anything like outside of the cheesy Steven Segal straight to DVD discount bargin bin movies? I have yet to see anybody buying such a thing but the day I do, I hope I have enough tact to not laugh in their face for it....but I probably lack that level of self-discipline. Oh well.:whistling:

Totally agree

TexasNativeDRJH
05-06-2010, 18:40
I think it has no practical use at all. Just extra weight that isn't needed

mixflip
05-06-2010, 19:12
I am all for individuality but for me personally the road blocker is all show and no go. When you compare the pros & cons you quickly see that its useless other than to look cool. Young guys put "looking cool" very high on their priority list. (I know I did back in the day so I am guilty of it too)

ScrappyDoo
05-06-2010, 19:42
I will say this: When I was looking for my first boomstick a few months back, I was introduced to the popular yet WORST EVER local gunshop and what has to be the worst ever complete Napoleaon Doosh 21 year old gun shop worker, who told me NOT to be a 930 SPX, buy this Benelli M2!!! The 930 SPX is a piece of crap (and we don't have one) but we have this AWESOME M2 (for $1200 instead of $600) ... and then he showed me the Road Blocker, and actually said he would laugh in my face if I bought one.

I came INCHES AWAY from buying it just to see if I could have a legitimate reason to go across the counter on this doosh, but it was a lot of money to punch someone.

mixflip
05-06-2010, 20:45
Thats a wierd salesman? I hate unrequested opinions from gun shop salesmen. I always respected the salesman who is more than willing to tell you what he knows as far as the pros and cons of a gun. You know like so and so gun is great for pocket carry or so and so shotgun is great for lefties ect ect...

But to just come right out and kill a sale by disrespecting a potetial buyer is just dumb. I am not an XD fan for my own personal reasons, but I would never tell anyone not to buy it if I was a gun salesman.

Education makes for a better salesman. Alot of gun salesmen dont take their craft serious enough.

Most folks already know alot about the gun they are about to buy. They do a bunch of research (like here on Glock Talk) then go shopping.

ScrappyDoo
05-07-2010, 07:46
My take on the problem is gun shop workers mistakenly believe that it's impossible to acquire the weapon or knowledge anywhere but there. Like because any old Joe can't open a gunshop, you have to get it there. Un, dude , there's this thing called the Internet. It's smarter than you. And it's probably got a better price than yours.

I actually decided I would do all my online purchases and transfers at my most hated shop, just so they could see all the business they're not getting n

DaGroaner
05-07-2010, 09:33
I remember when a Road Blocker looked like this....

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/6/68/Roadblocker_a.jpg/600px-Roadblocker_a.jpg
Ithaca Mag-10 Road Blocker

David Armstrong
05-07-2010, 09:47
I am thinking about getting a "Road Blocker" as a HD and range gun and was wondering if any of you guys have one and what you think about it.. (pros and cons)
I think that never have I seen so much useless stuff put on one gun coming out of the factory. Stuff that helps make it a good HD gun is not there and stuff that makes it a lousy HD gun is all over it.

If wannabees with Rambo fantasies would quit buying this kind of junk manufacturers might go back to focusing on good defensive weapons.

MajesticLT03
05-07-2010, 14:34
oh well I am gonna get it anyway :tongueout:

ScrappyDoo
05-08-2010, 07:39
oh well I am gonna get it anyway :tongueout:

Go on withcha bad tacticool self !!!!

MajesticLT03
05-08-2010, 15:13
:rofl: I can make it into the ultimate HD gun.. all it takes is the greenbacks :cool:

Cigargreg
05-08-2010, 23:42
That is a great looking gun.
I remember when a Road Blocker looked like this....

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/6/68/Roadblocker_a.jpg/600px-Roadblocker_a.jpg
Ithaca Mag-10 Road Blocker

David Armstrong
05-09-2010, 10:17
That is a great looking gun.
3 round mag, weighed about 10 pounds IIRC, and didn't recoil nearly as bad as one might think. A little big and bulky for CQB, but out in the open it was a great weapon.

MTPD
05-09-2010, 10:55

I dont want to spend mega money on a shotgun and this one fits my budget nicely

A 12ga is considerably lighter, holds more shells, has way more choices of load types, is more versaitile and has more than sufficient power for self-defense.

But if you gatta have a heavy 10, go for it!

m24shooter
05-09-2010, 14:51
it just has that badassness factor going for it with the M82 style muzzle brake :wow:
Badassness factor. Would that be a technical term? Exactly what does that do in terms of HD? Sounds more like a range toy/fungun type orientation.

A 12ga is considerably lighter, holds more shells, has way more choices of load types, is more versaitile and has more than sufficient power for self-defense.

But if you gatta have a heavy 10, go for it!
He's referring to the monstrosity released by Mossberg Marketing & Sales, not the old Ithaca Road Blocker, which could actually do what its name implied in the day of cars that actually had a lot of steel on them.
The Mossberg is basically just a 500 with a pistol grip and huge muzzle brake on it. Mossberg hopes these will draw the attention of people who will buy it for looks.

DaGroaner
05-09-2010, 15:32
Sadly, the real Road blockers have been replaced by the spike strip. Personally, I think the old way provided a more lasting solution to the problem. :supergrin:

vafish
05-10-2010, 06:25
I agree that the Mossberg Road Blocker looks ridiculous, as does the Rolling Thunder.

But the Road Blocker's muzzle break is based on a very effective design.

Has anyone actually fired one to see if the muzzle break works as well at taming recoil in the 12 ga as it does on the .50 BMG?

stiletto raggio
05-10-2010, 16:27
I'f I'm roadblocking someone who needs roadblocked, I would prefer to go old-school G-man on them and use a BAR. Or three.

It amazes me that the company that makes the 930 SPX and the 590A1 also makes the hokiest garbage on the market: "rolling thunder" and "road bloacker." Barf.

MajesticLT03
05-10-2010, 16:35
different strokes for different folks :whistling:

DaGroaner
05-10-2010, 17:26
I'f I'm roadblocking someone who needs roadblocked, I would prefer to go old-school G-man on them and use a BAR. Or three.

It amazes me that the company that makes the 930 SPX and the 590A1 also makes the hokiest garbage on the market: "rolling thunder" and "road bloacker." Barf.

Mossberg is just picking up some money that they've previously left on the floor.

ScrappyDoo
05-10-2010, 22:02
different strokes for different folks :whistling:

Seriously dude don't let the dooshes get you down.

Waaay too many experts that are certified, professional , etc... that teach courses , build guns, sell them, work as cops/SEALS/swat/etc. around here ... its amazing.

i'm with you... It looks cool. the haters can go suck a lemon.

It's cool and if you don't like it talk to the hand. I'm with you brotha.

USMC03Grunt
05-11-2010, 15:41
Sorry, can't talk to your hand...too busy laughing instead.

dc2integra
05-11-2010, 21:48
to each his own if we all liked the same **** well wed all have the same guns i say buy it

Z71bill
05-12-2010, 09:53
The most important (or at least one of) about a HD firearm is being able to shoot it accurately - so you actually hit what you are trying to shoot.

I know I shoot a "regular" shot gun way better than any shot gun with only a pistol grip - so I will stick with my plain vanilla Remington 870 18.5 inch barrel - full size stock.

I did not know what a Mossberg 500 "Road Blocker" was so I had to do a search -

The muzzle break made me LOL :rofl::rofl:

I would be embarrassed to pull this out at the range.

anewrnn
05-13-2010, 01:44
I agree that it looks pretty tacticool but with that short barrel on it, depsite the muzzle break, I think it would be tough to be accurate with it on a consistent basis. If you had to put alot of rounds through it at one time I think you would hate it. But with the spec ops stock, which I just put on my 590 mariner, it would be pretty nice. If you like it buy it, there are too many nay sayers around these days. Its your dough..... My ex didnt like me edc'ing at all, one of the reasons she's my ex. Please post a review after you get it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MTPD
05-13-2010, 09:12
He's referring to the monstrosity released by Mossberg Marketing & Sales, not the old Ithaca Road Blocker, which could actually do what its name implied in the day of cars that actually had a lot of steel on them.
The Mossberg is basically just a 500 with a pistol grip and huge muzzle brake on it. Mossberg hopes these will draw the attention of people who will buy it for looks.

My mistake! Thanks.

06-10-2010, 09:10
Seriously dude don't let the dooshes get you down.

Waaay too many experts that are certified, professional , etc... that teach courses , build guns, sell them, work as cops/SEALS/swat/etc. around here ... its amazing.

i'm with you... It looks cool. the haters can go suck a lemon.

It's cool and if you don't like it talk to the hand. I'm with you brotha.
+1, brother.:cool:
I have yet to get to go shoot my RB.:crying:
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y281/qavsiv/ERG//ERmoss500rb1.jpg
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y281/qavsiv/ERG//ERmoss500rb2.jpg
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y281/qavsiv/ERG//ERmoss500rb5.jpg

SUNDSVALL
07-05-2010, 17:33
How's the muzzle break for reducing recoil? If it works well, it is exceptionally cool.

+1, brother.:cool:
I have yet to get to go shoot my RB.:crying:
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y281/qavsiv/ERG//ERmoss500rb1.jpg
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y281/qavsiv/ERG//ERmoss500rb2.jpg
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y281/qavsiv/ERG//ERmoss500rb5.jpg

ennis
04-03-2011, 23:27
Yeah, I have. Jerry Miculek.
http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac279/jaxman7/IMG_2569.jpg

stiletto raggio
04-04-2011, 02:42
A shotgun doesn't generate the pressure at the muzzle necessary to make one of those brakes effective. That it why competitors have moved to a mid-barrel brake on shotguns.

I am sure Mossberg will sell plenty of these ridiculous bits of macho paraphernalia, and while I can make good arguments for why the Roadblocker and Rolling Thunder are impractical (and in some ways, self-defeating) I can't fault Mossberg for appealing to the Trailer Park Samurai subculture. I just know that even if they cost the same, I would rather have a Persuader with two more rounds in the tube than a muzzle-heavy aberration.

1 old 0311
04-04-2011, 11:30
yeah, i have. Jerry miculek.
http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac279/jaxman7/img_2569.jpg

ziiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing!

hogfish
04-05-2011, 12:42
Boy, that RB sure looks 'badass'! I'd love to pull that out of my safe and see the looks on my nephews' faces...PRICELESS! :supergrin:

So...I guess everyone has now seen a 'pro' shooting something like this. :whistling:

ravenkeeper98
04-05-2011, 13:20
I have one for my "zombie" gun. I have shot it a few times, aimed as well. It did not come back into my face, so I don't know it it worked (muzzle break) or no, could have been the forward pressure I was applying to the strap on the pump.???? Fairly good an accuracy with 00 buck. I still need to try a few slugs.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a292/ravenkeeper98/P2157450.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a292/ravenkeeper98/P2157449.jpg

I absolutely love it just because it is absurd looking!!!:supergrin:

dc2integra
04-06-2011, 20:10
I have one for my "zombie" gun. I have shot it a few times, aimed as well. It did not come back into my face, so I don't know it it worked (muzzle break) or no, could have been the forward pressure I was applying to the strap on the pump.???? Fairly good an accuracy with 00 buck. I still need to try a few slugs.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a292/ravenkeeper98/P2157450.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a292/ravenkeeper98/P2157449.jpg

I absolutely love it just because it is absurd looking!!!:supergrin:
Nice shotgun.Hows the laserlyte tri rail holding up?I just purchased one ,but I havent had the chance to shoot it yet.

ravenkeeper98
04-06-2011, 20:35
Nice shotgun.Hows the laserlyte tri rail holding up?I just purchased one ,but I havent had the chance to shoot it yet.

The tri-rail works great. I have one of my old Surefires on it now.

doc540
04-06-2011, 21:05
first time to see one of these

at first I thought it had some kind of a spike strip accessory :o

dc2integra
04-06-2011, 21:08
The tri-rail works great. I have one of my old Surefires on it now.
Im actually putting a tlr 1 on mine too.Did you have to put loctite on the screw in the rail in order for it to stay in place?

ravenkeeper98
04-07-2011, 04:13
Im actually putting a tlr 1 on mine too.Did you have to put loctite on the screw in the rail in order for it to stay in place?

Not sure if I had to, usually put just a dab on out of habit. The screws are in tight due to going through both the rail and the shroud.

amt115
04-09-2011, 15:58
You know Mossberg also makes a version of their .22 LR 702 Plinkster with one of those gigantic muzzle brakes on it. :wow:

VinnieD
04-12-2011, 02:46
That thing really does look like it's built around aesthetics. While the pistol grip/vertical foregrip combo isn't so bad, and while I like pistol grips myself, I prefer them in addition to a buttstock, not as a replacement to them, but at least you do have that vertical foregrip there to help mitigate recoil and control the weapon a little.

The muzzle brake looks to be entirely useless though. Heat shield would be a bonus if you're firing this thing frequently, but given the lack of a stock, I somehow doubt that, so is it really a worthwhile addition or just another add-on for looks?

The one thing I can say is a legitimate bonus would be the sidesaddle ammo holders. Ammo holders on the gun are always useful. If you're dealing with a HD situation, you're going to be fighting with the ammo on the gun. No time to go fetch another box.

Really this seems to be a bizarre combination of add ons, that don't really compliment each other for a single function, nor do they round it out for an all purpose gun. I can see why people wouldn't much care for it. Best just to buy a vanilla Mossberg and add whatever you want on it, later. Customization really is the point of tactical shotguns anyway, so I don't see any point to buying a tactical shotgun that's already a pre-assembled package.

G23c
04-12-2011, 16:44
not my style, but if you like it, the underlying shotgun is solid. go get it!

WhiskeyUnicorn
04-19-2011, 19:20
Enter the Mossberg Chainsaw...omfg suuuuuuuuuuper ghey. Tacticool mall ninja 9000 gear!

Looks like a persuader and a weed eater ****ed...this is their love child

http://string-trimmer-sale.co.cc/images/Factory-Reconditioned-Weed-Eater-SST25-SST25C-SST25T.jpg + http://hellinahandbasket.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/mossberg-persuader-300x99.jpg =

http://reynosawatch.org/minstrel/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/chainsaw.jpg