Ubuntu 10.04 and chrome [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 10.04 and chrome

Linux3
05-07-2010, 13:21
I just installed Chrome browser on my Ubuntu 10.04 system.
I must say I am impressed. It's way faster than Firefox. Takes a little to get used to the interface but worth the effort.

http://www.google.com/chrome/?brand=CHMB&utm_campaign=en&utm_source=en-ha-na-us-sk&utm_medium=ha

TBO
05-07-2010, 13:25
I've begun using Chrome for my primary brower both in Ubuntu and Windows.

g29andy
05-08-2010, 07:07
chrome for linux is fast! Only quirk I've found is the backspace key doesn't return to previous page as it does in FF.

captainstormy
05-10-2010, 02:12
chrome for linux is fast! Only quirk I've found is the backspace key doesn't return to previous page as it does in FF.

That's not a quirk really, its suppose to be that way. Google Chrome is based on the Chromium browser. Basically Google Chrome just has a little more fit and polish to it. Chromium has that same functionality.

Alot of people hate the backspace key making a browser go back because they will be trying to type something and the focus won't be on the text box but instead on the page. When they hit backspace then the page will go back to the last page. Aside from that, IE was the first browser to do that, and in the open source world alot of developers refuse to program anything the way Microsoft did.

To the original point though, I've used Google Chrome since it came out. Its great. By far the fastest web browser easiest to use web browser I've used.

IndyGunFreak
05-10-2010, 07:27
I've been really happy w/ it as well.

IGF

GIockGuy24
05-10-2010, 09:58
Lubuntu is supplied with Chromium as the default browser.

Linux3
05-10-2010, 17:18
Lubuntu is supplied with Chromium as the default browser.
I had never heard of Lubuntu!
I gotta d/l it and try it in my netbook.
Thanks.

IndyGunFreak
05-10-2010, 17:21
I had never heard of Lubuntu!
I gotta d/l it and try it in my netbook.
Thanks.

It actually runs really well... I tried it while helping out a friend setting up an old system... LXDE is slick. It is what XFCE used to strive for.

IGF

g29andy
05-10-2010, 19:45
That's not a quirk really, its suppose to be that way. Google Chrome is based on the Chromium browser. Basically Google Chrome just has a little more fit and polish to it. Chromium has that same functionality.

Alot of people hate the backspace key making a browser go back because they will be trying to type something and the focus won't be on the text box but instead on the page. When they hit backspace then the page will go back to the last page. Aside from that, IE was the first browser to do that, and in the open source world alot of developers refuse to program anything the way Microsoft did.

ya, I know but I'm used to using backspace to go back a page. In FF I can change it to the way I prefer using about:config. A small issue I'm willing to live with since Chrome is so dang fast.

SIGSAREBETTER
05-10-2010, 21:18
I've been trying Chromium too......I'm glad it's not my imagination that it's faster than Firefox or Iceweasel when I was running Debian. But yeah the interface is.....it has a learning curve.

GIockGuy24
05-10-2010, 21:22
Lubuntu runs a lot faster than Xubuntu. It's only available as a Desktop live CD installer and to alternate CD installer available for it. The 10.04 Xubuntu alternate CD won't write a proper boot floppy but it tries. The live CD installer doesn't have that option. I don't want to overwrite the MBR on my mother's computers. She uses Linux but likes to have her default Windows. I had grub in dual boot before and when it was updated it doubled the bootloader instead of overwriting the old grub. I tried Windows bootloader and it only overwrote one the grubs on the hard drive. I don't want to mess with her MBR on her hard drive like that. I just installed 10.04 netbook Ubuntu on my Wind. It replaced Xubuntu 9.10.

GenX
05-10-2010, 21:55
I installed lubuntu in ubuntu 10.04 from the repos. It is definitely quick, however being the linux noob, I learned that it installed duplicate menu items. I played with it for a couple days, then reinstalled ubuntu. lol

IndyGunFreak
05-11-2010, 07:26
Lubuntu runs a lot faster than Xubuntu. It's only available as a Desktop live CD installer and to alternate CD installer available for it. The 10.04 Xubuntu alternate CD won't write a proper boot floppy but it tries. The live CD installer doesn't have that option. I don't want to overwrite the MBR on my mother's computers. She uses Linux but likes to have her default Windows. I had grub in dual boot before and when it was updated it doubled the bootloader instead of overwriting the old grub. I tried Windows bootloader and it only overwrote one the grubs on the hard drive. I don't want to mess with her MBR on her hard drive like that. I just installed 10.04 netbook Ubuntu on my Wind. It replaced Xubuntu 9.10.

10.04(nor any version of Linux that I know of) does not remove updated kernels automatically. That's why you're seeing multiple kernel entries in your grub menu. If you look, they are actually different #'s.... one being more current than the other. This is done so if for some reason you have a problem with the new kernel, you can boot back to the old one, which was presumably stable.

Any of you guys using older versions of Ubuntu, this only pertains to versions after 9.10, pre 9.04 is different... To remove the old entrees from grub, first, check your grub list and make sure you know which is the "old" version. You should be able to tell this by the version numbers. Open Synaptic, and do a quick search for "linux-image". You'll see quite a few kernel images come up, most of which will not be installed. Go through, and find the one you want to remove. Right click it and "Mark for removal"... then Mark, Apply, Apply, and let it uninstall. Once it's uninstalled, Close synaptic and open a terminal. Type "sudo update-grub" no quotes. Hit enter, and you'll see the terminal generate a new grub menu and you should notice the kernel entries you removed, are gone. When that is done, run sudo apt-get autoremove to clean up any more unneeded files.

In my experience grub will boot all versions of Windows just fine, not sure why you're concerned about overwriting the windows MBR. The installer will automatically detect a Windows partition and make an entry for it in Grub. If it concerns you for some reason, there's a slick little DOS tool called "MBRFix" that will backup your MBR, restore a backed up MBR from file, or just write a new one... It works quite well and is easy to use.

Again, I often think people stressing about overwriting the MBR is making a mountain out of a molehill.. but thats just my opinion..

IGF

IndyGunFreak
05-11-2010, 07:30
I installed lubuntu in ubuntu 10.04 from the repos. It is definitely quick, however being the linux noob, I learned that it installed duplicate menu items. I played with it for a couple days, then reinstalled ubuntu. lol

That is one thing, I wish I could figure out. If you could keep the desktop menus completely separate, when you install one of the other GUI's(KDE, XFCE, LXDE, etc.) it would make life much easier. Like you said, when you install an extra GUI, you end up w/ your menu having a ton of programs that do the same thing because the other programs were installed w/ the new GUI.

Only way I've found to get around this, is to actually dual boot different versions of the OS, which is a pain, so I just don't bother. :). Sometimes I'll try the different GUI's on Live CD's though.

IGF

GenX
05-11-2010, 07:53
That is one thing, I wish I could figure out. If you could keep the desktop menus completely separate, when you install one of the other GUI's(KDE, XFCE, LXDE, etc.) it would make life much easier. Like you said, when you install an extra GUI, you end up w/ your menu having a ton of programs that do the same thing because the other programs were installed w/ the new GUI.

Only way I've found to get around this, is to actually dual boot different versions of the OS, which is a pain, so I just don't bother. :). Sometimes I'll try the different GUI's on Live CD's though.

IGF

It was cool for a while. Believe it installed KDE, XFCE, LXDE, lubuntu, openbox session and couple of others. I'd run lubuntu on a modest machine.

GIockGuy24
05-11-2010, 09:07
Lubuntu runs a lot faster than Ubuntu with LXDE installed.