Price check on Unique powder? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Price check on Unique powder?

KiloBravo
05-07-2010, 18:03
I found 1 lb bottles of Unique powder locally earlier today that was about $20 before tax. Is this a fair price? I did a search and discovered that a lot of people like this powder for loading pistol. They also had bigger containers of "Clays" but I did not check out the price on that.

dudel
05-07-2010, 18:06
That's a good price.

Zombie Steve
05-07-2010, 18:07
Get it. Use it. No matter how far off the path you stray from there, you will come back to it.

:supergrin:

KiloBravo
05-07-2010, 18:16
That's a good price.

Thanks very much. That is just what I needed to know before buying any. :wavey:

KiloBravo
05-07-2010, 18:17
Get it. Use it. No matter how far off the path you stray from there, you will come back to it.

:supergrin:

:rofl:That confirms it for me. I will be heading back out later to pick up a bottle. I was amazed that so many here seemed to like it. I had no idea about what a fair price would be, so I wanted to ask the pros before I bought any. LOL

Zombie Steve
05-07-2010, 18:28
:rofl:That confirms it for me. I will be heading back out later to pick up a bottle. I was amazed that so many here seemed to like it. I had no idea about what a fair price would be, so I wanted to ask the pros before I bought any. LOL

Some say it's dirty, and I'd agree if you are loading something towards the bottom of the data. Where is shines is full power service caliber loads. It seems to me to be just right in terms of getting the speeds you want without crossing over into the territory of huge muzzle blast and concussion (I just loaded some 9mm with Blue Dot the other day... ask Colorado4Wheel... :embarassed:).

Heck, I use it for .45acp, 9mm, midrange .44 mag...

And I haven't seen any powder around here for $20 lately.

KiloBravo
05-07-2010, 18:34
Some say it's dirty, and I'd agree if you are loading something towards the bottom of the data. Where is shines is full power service caliber loads. It seems to me to be just right in terms of getting the speeds you want without crossing over into the territory of huge muzzle blast and concussion (I just loaded some 9mm with Blue Dot the other day... ask Colorado4Wheel... :embarassed:).

Heck, I use it for .45acp, 9mm, midrange .44 mag...

And I haven't seen any powder around here for $20 lately.

Both my local Wal-Marts always have it on the reloading shelves for that price. I was very surpised to see it there too.

KiloBravo
05-07-2010, 20:49
Well...I just got back home from the store. I picked up a 1 lb. container of the powder, and I bought the Lyman tumbler I found as well. :supergrin:

I am going to go plug it right now just to see how loud it is. I figured, I better have some clean brass by next week when all of the main stuff comes in. I still need to find some primers and bullets by then too. Man, is there ever a lot of crap you have to get when you first start out.

One other question...is it harmful to run the tumbler with dirty brass inside of the house? I don't really have any place to do it outside. Would it be okay if I opened up all the windows?

dubels
05-07-2010, 21:08
Both my local Wal-Marts always have it on the reloading shelves for that price. I was very surpised to see it there too.

:shocked: Your Wal Mart has reloading shelves? I can't even find .22lr ammunition in the ones near me. But yeah Unique is what I have been using in my 147 9mm load. It is a good first powder because it is hard to double charge in an 9mm case. A mouse fart load in a 9mm case with unique is near the top already.

KiloBravo
05-07-2010, 21:11
:shocked: Your Wal Mart has reloading shelves? I can't even find .22lr ammunition in the ones near me. But yeah Unique is what I have been using in my 147 9mm load. It is a good first powder because it is hard to double charge in an 9mm case. A mouse fart load on a 9mm case with unique is near the top already.

Yeah...they have a lot of different reloading equipment. Most of it is RCBS. Presses, scales, brass, bullets, powder, primers, etc. etc. etc.

I am glad to hear it fills up the case pretty full too. I wanted a powder like that to learn with. So I can easily tell whether or not the case already has powder in it if I needed to visually check.

SNH Glocks
05-07-2010, 21:38
Yup, right around $19-20 for a 1 pound can is what it sells for around here

BBJones
05-07-2010, 22:13
Unique is the perfect first powder. It is what I would have reccomended. Will be a little dirty if loaded light, but will still function fine. 1lb will be enough for yu first 1000 loads.

KiloBravo
05-07-2010, 22:17
Unique is the perfect first powder. It is what I would have reccomended. Will be a little dirty if loaded light, but will still function fine. 1lb will be enough for yu first 1000 loads.

That is great to know. I was kind of curious about how many rounds that much powder would be good for. Thanks a lot! :wavey:

orgnova
05-08-2010, 04:05
I switched to Unique not too long ago, I'm glad I did. It meters well and I don't find it dirty. Great powder for 45s.

kshutt
05-08-2010, 04:30

:wow: Holy crap! The Nazis must run our Walmarts in Oklahoma! You can barely find ammo in ours!

kshutt
05-08-2010, 04:35
One more thing: I like Unique powder, but when you get around to trying WST for your target loads, you may not use Unique as much! Your brass will still look like you just ran it through the tumbler using WST, too! :supergrin: Well, maybe not quite that clean........... but, pretty close!

srd
05-08-2010, 06:00
NO powder here at Wally World either. Last weekend i hit 5 gun shops and powder was running anywhere from 18 to 23.00. Picked up some Fiocchi primers for 43.00 for 1500 while i am waiting for my PV order. Never played with that brand before. So far 700 have gone boom.

ignantmike
05-08-2010, 06:38
i paid 24.99 for a 1lb can from gander mountain.....they are the only ones to carry it around me.......

robin303
05-08-2010, 07:28
I tried to tumble inside but just went ahead and put it on the back porch because it was to loud for me. People do cut up dryer sheets or paper towls and put them in the media but never done it for the dust. Good luck finding bullets and primers but if your in a pinch you can get your bullets from here http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp;jsessionid=LO4HU1PERIOBLLAQBBJCCNVMCAEFGIWE?id=0018737214914a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntt=Berry%27s+Bullets&Ntk=Product_liberal&sort=all&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form1&_requestid=21819 and you can get them in about a week.

BBJones
05-08-2010, 07:47
That is great to know. I was kind of curious about how many rounds that much powder would be good for. Thanks a lot! :wavey:

no problem. I will be a little more precise.

7000 grains in a pound.

Your load will be anywhere from 5.3 - 6.1 grains depending on how stout you are loading. Lets say you choose 5.5 grains

7000 / 5.5 = 1227.7 (loads you could make with 1 lb)

That assumes you don't waste any.