Gonna buy an iMac [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Gonna buy an iMac

wrenrj1
05-07-2010, 18:51
Ok, my Dell PC is slowing down (1.5G RAM) and it's time to lighten its load and relegate it to surfing the internet for occasional guests in the guest bedroom. I want to buy the Apple iMac 21.5 Monitor w/ 4GB RAM.

To this point I've been a PC guy and still have a PC laptop and Netbook. I currently run a Lynksys router hooked to my PC. Tell me what are the issues that I need to consider when converting from PC to MAC?

I've heard that once you go MAC you never go back...

arodgers
05-07-2010, 20:49
I'm a month in to my MacBook Pro and I love it. I can't believe I waited this long to make the switch.

The only issue I've run in to during the switch is one program that won't run on OSX. I use a program called HPTuners to tune my car, so I have to jump on my other laptop when I need to use it.

Linux3
05-07-2010, 20:53
Why would you think there will be an issue with your Linksys router?
IEEE 802.11 is a standard. MS, MAC, Linux, Solaris, whatever support the standard.

checkyoursix
05-08-2010, 05:48
Ok, my Dell PC is slowing down (1.5G RAM) and it's time to lighten its load and relegate it to surfing the internet for occasional guests in the guest bedroom. I want to buy the Apple iMac 21.5 Monitor w/ 4GB RAM.

To this point I've been a PC guy and still have a PC laptop and Netbook. I currently run a Lynksys router hooked to my PC. Tell me what are the issues that I need to consider when converting from PC to MAC?

I've heard that once you go MAC you never go back...

You are not going to have any problem with the router, you will be surprised by how smooth is the transition. If you care about learning this kind of thing, there is a good book written by David Pogue (http://www.amazon.com/Switching-Mac-Missing-Manual-Leopard/dp/0596804253/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1273319095&sr=1-6) on switching OS, I always recommend it to people switching.

As for going back, we haven't owned a PC in years, and we both suffer at work when working with a Win machine is a must. Cannot speak of Vista, since neither my wife nor I have received a Vista machine at work, but there is an abyss between Mac's abilities and PC's.

Only big catch: there are less games, a lot less games, available for Macs still. If that is an issue, you might want to consider buying an Xbox or PlayStation and get your fix there, and stick with the Mac.