Am I just lucky? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Am I just lucky?

sambeaux2249
05-07-2010, 22:07
It seems like every time I read about Kahr firearms on a forum, there are several topics about how unreliable they are...

I have a PM9 with probably 3000 rounds through it with no hiccups EVER...
I have an MK9 with probably 1000 rounds through it that i picked up USED, and no hiccups EVER
I have a PM45 that had a few glitches in the first 200 rounds... A call to Kahr resulted in them sending me a magazine catch and a spring for the slide release... Problems solved, no hiccups in the last 500 rounds.

I guess I am lucky. WHo else has had few or no problems with theirs?

Sam

Cap'n
05-08-2010, 12:03
Got my first Kahr, CW9, on Monday. 400 rounds later and no malfunctions. Shoots wonderfully.

After 200 rounds of factory FMJ, I've been using my reloads with Berry's plated 124-gr flat point bullets. No barrel fouling problems.

FLSlim
05-08-2010, 13:36
I too am pretty happy with my CW9; it is a dream to carry. I have had some FTF with reloads. In that case I was using PMC primers (I had never used them before, but that was all I could find at the time). I could have been a bad run of primers (also had FTF with the same batch in an SP101, or the fault could have been mine with primer seating. Regardless, no problem with the Kahr other than having put about 1000 rounds through it.

user
05-08-2010, 14:39
It's not luck; Daddy (or "Our Father who art in Heaven" as some folks say) likes us and wants us to be happy.

sambeaux2249
05-08-2010, 15:46
I had a feeling that there were a lot of untold success stories. The people with no problems tend to shut up and shoot happily... The people with problems get on the internet and complain... The result is that people tend to only hear about the bad.

So... I thought I'd elaborate.

My first Kahr was my PM9, which has never given any trouble whatsoever. It's had a
few thousand rounds through it now with no hiccups. It was bought right around the barrel peening episodes, but mine never showed any evidence of peening.

My second Kahr is a used MK9, one of the early GA series. I replaced the recoil spring
as soon as I got it, and never had any problems with it. It came to me with a cracked
wooden grip...

My third kahr is the PM45. This one had some hiccups...

It would occasionally drop the magazine when firing, and would occasionally lock the slide back with rounds still in the magazine. The front nightsight also didn't glow.

I called kahr about the problems... I mentioned the magazine dropping free, and I had made VERY certain to keep my thumb away from the mag release. They offered to send me a new mag release assembly. Great! I mentioned the slide locking back. They offered to send me a new spring for the slide lock lever. Great! I mentioned the front sight. They hesitated... suggesting that I send the slide in to have the front sight replaced. I told them I had a sight press, and they sent me the front sight. I also asked if they knew
where I could find a set of grips for the old GA series MK9's ( different grips than the new ones ). They also sent me a set of wooden grips, and suggested I could modify them or have them modified.

The new parts for my PM45 fixed all my problems. The gun has been flawless ever since.

The wooden grips they sent me fit my MK9 perfectly... All of these parts were sent to me free of charge. Not even shipping.

I would not hesitate to buy another Kahr, nor to recommend them to others. Customer service was knowledgeable, friendly, and downright fantastic.

Sam

chance3290
05-09-2010, 13:50
I'm on, I think, my 6th or 7th Kahr. The K series were great and never gave a problem. Then came my P-40. Back to Kahr twice. Jamming/slide locking back/generally annoying. They said they found nothing wrong the first time, then the send send-back, they said they found the frame was cracked.
Finally, I put on my thinking cap and looked at every angle. I found that when using fat-bullets, the bullet itself would touch the slide stop and cause it to lock back. I filed a bit of the slide stop and the P-40 now runs like a champ.
I had a P-45 for about five minutes...nothing good or bad to say.
My new PM9 has about 400 rounds thru it may three FTEs in the second 100. All in all, I like my Kahrs.

Short Bus
05-09-2010, 13:58
My CW9 has been great. As another poster said, it is a dream to carry and that is coming from a G27.

Grabbrass
05-09-2010, 20:38
I just had my pm9 out to the range this morning for only the second time. I'm prolly going again Tuesday and get it past the 'break-in' period. As of today I've got 130 rds through it and zero problems. But I can't claim any kind of decent accuracy with it yet. Well, that's not really what a pm9 is for anyway, but for right now I'm glad I've got my S&W M&P9 around to remind me that I can still shoot half-decent. I can group rested shots with the Kahr inside of 3 or 4 inches at 10 yds, but when I shoot freehand at the same distance my groups open up to where I barely keep 'em all on a sheet of 8x11. And there are fliers. Oh yes. It's the long trigger pull and the little flinch its giving me I guess, but I've got about 1200 rounds of cure on the shelf so I'm not too worried about it.

Anyway I'm literally just breaking mine in, so I'm hoping we're all lucky. I cleaned my pm9 earlier and I don't see any unusual wear on the barrel hood, or the recoil spring, etc. It's a dang work of art.

sambeaux2249
05-09-2010, 22:15
But I can't claim any kind of decent accuracy with it yet. Well, that's not really what a pm9 is for anyway, but for right now I'm glad I've got my S&W M&P9 around to remind me that I can still shoot half-decent. I can group rested shots with the Kahr inside of 3 or 4 inches at 10 yds, but when I shoot freehand at the same distance my groups open up to where I barely keep 'em all on a sheet of 8x11. And there are fliers.

I'm a little surprised. My PM9 is very accurate for me. I mean, in comparison to a lot of my other handguns. I shoot maybe 5-7" groups at 15 yards shooting freehand?

I brought my PM45 to the sheriff's range a couple of weeks ago. I had an easier time hitting the 6" falling plates with my PM45 than with my 1911. LOL

Sam

Grabbrass
05-09-2010, 22:27
I'm a little surprised. My PM9 is very accurate for me. I mean, in comparison to a lot of my other handguns. I shoot maybe 5-7" groups at 15 yards shooting freehand?

I brought my PM45 to the sheriff's range a couple of weeks ago. I had an easier time hitting the 6" falling plates with my PM45 than with my 1911. LOL

Sam

Oh I have no doubt the pistol is accurate. I'm also sure my groups will tighten up. But everything about it is very different from the Glocks I've had in the past and the M&P I'm shooting now. I'm very familiar with my M&P's trigger travel and break and I just know where that last bit of pressure is. With the Kahr, it catches me by surprise every time ... which is how its supposed to be but I'm just not comfortable yet with the long travel. I have no experience with revolvers either so that doesn't help. I can shoot the gun fairly well from the bench, so I just need to work on it.

Maybe when I have 3000 rds through it like yours I'll be tack-driving with it too. :)

deadhawg
05-12-2010, 04:16
There's an old saying in the auto repair field, "A happy customer tells 5 people, an unhappy customer tells 50 people". I think it's the same in the gun world. For every malfunctioning Kahr, there are many more that function just fine.
My PM9 has been perfect through about 2,000 rounds. My P45 went back to the factory with jamming problems that did not go away well after the 200 round "break in". Came back with a new ejector and polished feed ramp, and has been fine for the last 2,000 rounds.
My wife now carries thwe PM9, and as soon as the budget allows, I will be getting another for myself.

sambeaux2249
05-12-2010, 13:24
Oh I have no doubt the pistol is accurate. I'm also sure my groups will tighten up. But everything about it is very different from the Glocks I've had in the past and the M&P I'm shooting now. I'm very familiar with my M&P's trigger travel and break and I just know where that last bit of pressure is. With the Kahr, it catches me by surprise every time ... which is how its supposed to be but I'm just not comfortable yet with the long travel. I have no experience with revolvers either so that doesn't help. I can shoot the gun fairly well from the bench, so I just need to work on it.

Maybe when I have 3000 rds through it like yours I'll be tack-driving with it too. :)

Hmm... My experience is all over the place. I own everything from single action revolvers to double action autos and pretty much everything in between. The Kahr triggers are long, but not as long as some. If you're used to a glock, there aren't many guns with a trigger pull that short besides single action guns.

Does the M&P have the hinged trigger, or is that the Sigma?

Anyway, I hope you grow to like it. My carry gun evolution went something like this:

.357 Colt Magnum Carry ( too big, too bulky, too heavy )
Kel-Tec P40 .40S&W ( too big, HORRIBLE trigger, kicked like a mule, jammed )
NAA Black Widow ( too slow to reload, awkward too shoot, hard to aim )
Kel-Tec P32 ( great gun, but wanted more punch )
Kahr PM9 ( still my backup gun, and sometimes the only gun I carry )
Kahr PM45 ( love it, and carry my PM9 as a backup )

Good luck. Have fun. Shoot well. :)

Sam

bac1023
05-12-2010, 21:45
I never had an issue with my T9.

Nuclear
05-13-2010, 19:56
My P9 is the only handgun I've ever owned that has never had a non-user induced failure. I've owned it about 5 years and practice with it at least once a month.

FireMedicKeith
05-14-2010, 21:44
Had some problems with my PM40 but it has all been ironed out and that is one gun that will be with me forever.

They might take a little work sometimes but they are well worth it.

buellxb9rider
05-15-2010, 21:25
i'm on my 4th Kahr.a K9,K40,PM9 and my newest a p380.never had the 1st glitch out of anyone of them.I still regret sellin the PM9.But thats just my 2 cents.

Hubadub
05-17-2010, 04:46
PM9 owner here with about 1700 rounds down range.No problems at all to report.None.Nada.Zip.Most other Kahr owners I talk to have had the same experience.Flawless performance from practically all models.

bean66
05-17-2010, 23:34
But I can't claim any kind of decent accuracy with it yet. Well, that's not really what a pm9 is for anyway
And there are fliers. Oh yes. It's the long trigger pull and the little flinch its giving me I guess, but I've got about 1200 rounds of cure on the shelf so I'm not too worried about it.

Anyway I'm literally just breaking mine in, so I'm hoping we're all lucky. I cleaned my pm9 earlier and I don't see any unusual wear on the barrel hood, or the recoil spring, etc. It's a dang work of art.

Yes it is quite the work of art.

I too tend to get a flier typically on the first round, Then a nice tight group after that.

Oh, and no feed jams, no FTF,FTE etc... from day 1

sambeaux2249
05-17-2010, 23:45
:cool:

It's good to hear a few success stories. I'm glad I'm not the only one who got lucky 3 times in a row. LOL

Sam