Titanium Knives [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Titanium Knives

brawnless
05-07-2010, 22:59
Who else makes titanium knives besides the ones listed below?

* Emerson Knives (The titanium La Griffe does not seem to be in production anymore)

* Mission Knives

Thank you in advance.

b.

George Tichbourne
05-08-2010, 18:06
To my knowledge they are the only makers. In short, without specialized technology, titanium is not a good edge holding material and that technology is not generally available to knifemakers.

Travclem
05-08-2010, 18:08
Most Titanium knives have carbide dust imbedded on the edge to do the cutting. I dunno about any others.

DaveCharlie09
05-08-2010, 18:09
Yeah, Ti does not hold an edge well at all. I'de pass on a Ti bladed knife.

DBZ220
05-09-2010, 10:10
Benchmade used to make a Ti bladed CQC-7, model 970ST. The Ti blade had a carbide cutting edge fused into it to try and overcome the cutting/edge holding limits of the plain titanium. It worked well for it's designed purpose. Custom makers like Warren Thomas do some Ti bladed pieces, also with the carbide cutting edge. There are also a couple diving knife makers whose names escape me right now that did some decent pieces as well. Unless you're diving alot, or in saltwater daily, most users would be better served by a good 'ol steel bladed knife.

syntaxerrorsix
05-10-2010, 05:36
You can find dive knives made from Ti from most vendors. As others have said, not the best knife making material. Even in the dive industry it's mostly touted for it's corrosion resistance (great for people that don't take care of their gear.)

D25
05-10-2010, 16:44
If no corrosion is the appeal, check out Spyderco's H1 or the x15tn stuff that Benchmade made/makes.