Is there not a single large pistol primer out there? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Is there not a single large pistol primer out there?

KiloBravo
05-08-2010, 00:10
As many of my other recent threads have explained, I am going to jump into the reloading world. I want my first crack at it to be .45 ACP. I have brass and powder, but cannot source large pistol primers, and bullets are almost as bad.

I must say...this is really discouraging to find out. I thought I would have enough time during the coming week to find some components, but am beginning to think that it will now take longer.

Can anybody out there help me out in finding some? I just checked several of the big and some smaller sites, but no luck. I realize a lot of you guys probably have a nice stock pile on hand. The timing sure does suck though for us new guys. :faint:

Ok, rant off now. Thanks for listening.

KiloBravo
05-08-2010, 00:14
Okay...I just found some on Cabela's. They want $32/1000 plus $20 hazmat fee??? :steamed:

I guess I just need to give up for the night before I say screw the entire idea. At least I can still find factory ammo on the shelves when I need it. *Knock on wood*

kshutt
05-08-2010, 03:59
Okay, you can go here: http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/. For $25.50/1000 you can order Wolf large pistol primers to get you started. You're still going to pay a hazmat fee, and you're not going to avoid it with an online purchase.

Before you order these primers, however, just understand that I'm not endorsing them! I've read a few threads that contain less than desirable reviews on Wolf primers. I've also read some that have favorable comments as well.

My thing is this: I only shoot Federal large pistol primers. I went through a season some time ago with FTF issues, Winchester primers and both of my Glocks (G30 & G21). I switched to Federal (at the advice of someone that had experienced the same issue) and I've never had another problem. What does that have to do with Wolf? Well, maybe nothing, but I've read enough about them to just stick with Federal. You may, however, order them and love them for the rest of your life! :supergrin:

Good shooting, friend!

sdelam
05-08-2010, 06:41
I know this isnt what you want to hear but, it took me a year to get 5k CCI's from Graf's. I can get them locally for $50 per 1000, but I wont pay that. Good luck.

pesticidal
05-08-2010, 06:52
Our local Scheel's store had a lot of them last weekend when I was in there, from several different manufacturers. $34.99/k

Zombie Steve
05-08-2010, 07:13
Just swing by Colorado Springs. I'll hook you up. :whistling:

Seriously, none of your local stores have any? I've been seeing more and more on the shelves out here...

KiloBravo
05-08-2010, 07:21
Okay, you can go here: http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/. For $25.50/1000 you can order Wolf large pistol primers to get you started. You're still going to pay a hazmat fee, and you're not going to avoid it with an online purchase.

Before you order these primers, however, just understand that I'm not endorsing them! I've read a few threads that contain less than desirable reviews on Wolf primers. I've also read some that have favorable comments as well.

My thing is this: I only shoot Federal large pistol primers. I went through a season some time ago with FTF issues, Winchester primers and both of my Glocks (G30 & G21). I switched to Federal (at the advice of someone that had experienced the same issue) and I've never had another problem. What does that have to do with Wolf? Well, maybe nothing, but I've read enough about them to just stick with Federal. You may, however, order them and love them for the rest of your life! :supergrin:

Good shooting, friend!

Excellent! Thanks very much for the info. I greatly appreciate it.

KiloBravo
05-08-2010, 07:22
I know this isnt what you want to hear but, it took me a year to get 5k CCI's from Graf's. I can get them locally for $50 per 1000, but I wont pay that. Good luck.

:faint:Oh geez...I guess I will have to keep looking.

robin303
05-08-2010, 07:35
There was one time several months ago Cabela's were the only ones that had small pistol primers so I bought 4 K of CCI.

BBJones
05-08-2010, 07:39
I have used Wolf SPP(4k) and LPP(2k) out of my 9mm and .45 Glocks with no incident. I make sure that they are seated as deep as possible because I have heard they are a tad harder than most primers.

Powder Valley frequently has them instock and is a great online retailer to deal with. If they are out if stock, they come back in stock every week or so. Also a great place to buy powder and they will only charge you one haz mat fee.

John4me05
05-08-2010, 07:42
Just remember the haz mat is 20 bucks wether you buy 1k or 10k. I believe powder would be included in the same 20 if you bought it as well. Find a good cheap price site and order bulk of both from the same place.

Njanear
05-08-2010, 07:42
NOTE: Make sure that you don't have a bunch of the Win NT cases mixed in, as those use the Small Pistol Primers.

Colorado4Wheel
05-08-2010, 07:52
Primers are the hardest part. Bullets are easy. For primers it helps to think think of who you can order with to spread out the hazematt fee. Just can't be real picky right now. Take what you can get. I have a friend who I can order with pretty much any time. So last time CCI's came available I just ordered 20K. Get a batch to tide you over an put your order in for someething else at PV and wait.

Bullets. Go to Precision Delta and Montana Gold. I won't take more then a month for PD. Just call and ask. Place the order and wait.

KiloBravo
05-08-2010, 08:48
Just swing by Colorado Springs. I'll hook you up. :whistling:

Seriously, none of your local stores have any? I've been seeing more and more on the shelves out here...

Thanks Steve! :wavey:

I just scored...I called the same guy who ordered my press and everything for me. I was able to pick up box of 1000 Remington large pistol primers and 100 Winchester 230 gr. FMJ bullets. I now have all components I need.

BTW, I paid $35 for the primers and like $21 for the bullets. It might have been a little high, but I needed the stuff.

KiloBravo
05-08-2010, 08:50
Primers are the hardest part. Bullets are easy. For primers it helps to think think of who you can order with to spread out the hazematt fee. Just can't be real picky right now. Take what you can get. I have a friend who I can order with pretty much any time. So last time CCI's came available I just ordered 20K. Get a batch to tide you over an put your order in for someething else at PV and wait.

Bullets. Go to Precision Delta and Montana Gold. I won't take more then a month for PD. Just call and ask. Place the order and wait.

Thanks a lot for the tip. Now that I was able to find some, I will hop online here soon and order up a bunch of powder and primers from the same place and then make the wait.

Big Sam
05-08-2010, 10:06
Don't know quite where you are but if you were at the Hamburg Cabela's, you can't be too far. Try Shyda's in Lebanon or Troups in Elizabethtown. Both have CCI and Federal large pistol primers for $30-32 per thousand. I just bought some a few days ago. The primer shortage is mostly gone in our area.

n2extrm
05-08-2010, 13:34
You need to place an order like steve said and wait it out. You have 1000, now is the time to place a BO. Powder Valley and grafs won't charge your card till the order ships. Grafs will call you and tell you they have an order ready to ship, what it is, what is back ordered and ask if you still want it and if you want it on the same CC. I split a large order with some friends late last year, got it early this year, Febuary maybe. We got all of the stuff except large pistol. Still waiting for those. Best of luck to you!:wavey:

FlyfishermanMike
05-08-2010, 16:55
The shelfs here in Utah are well stocked.

IndyGunFreak
05-08-2010, 17:22
The shelfs here in Utah are well stocked.

I was at Gander Mountain about 2mo ago, $5.99 for 100.

That's just ridiculous. I hope primers come out of the stratosphere eventually.. :). I'm good to go w/ about 12k Win SPP, and 4k Win/CCI LPP. I only load .45 and 10mm for LPP and don't shoot either of them with the frequency I shoot 9 and 40.

IGF

RustyFN
05-08-2010, 17:47
Is there not a single large pistol primer out there?

Yes I have around 9,000 single LP primers. :tongueout: Sorry some how I don't think that's what you wanted to know. I order all of my primers from Powder Valley or Graf's. I always go in with a friend or two and max out the order for one hazmat fee. You can order powder and primers mixed and they will ship in the same box for the one hazmat fee.

Colorado4Wheel
05-08-2010, 17:58
I know this is going to sound strange.

BUT

Start shooting USPSA. Once you do that you will meet people and learn how to double up on orders. I was in the dark, then I started shooting USPSA, now I am no longer in the dark. It's amazing how that works out.

shotgunred
05-08-2010, 18:16
Start shooting USPSA. Once you do that you will meet people and learn how to double up on orders. I was in the dark, then I started shooting USPSA, now I am no longer in the dark. It's amazing how that works out.

I live close to the big local store. So I always buy a couple of thousand Primers when I go in. I don't use them myself as I like the prices online better. But a lot of the guys I shoot with live 30 to 70 miles away from the shop. They limit you to 1k per type of primer per day. The round trip doesn't make it worth it when you can only get 1K and they wont hold them for you. So I buy some and take them with me to my shoots and sell them for exactly what I payed for them. A good karma kind of thing. Heck some of the guys wouldn't be able to shoot if I didn't play primer Santa Clause The thing is only the regulars know about it and can get in on the deal.

n2extrm
05-08-2010, 18:37
I live close to the big local store. So I always buy a couple of thousand Primers when I go in. I don't use them myself as I like the prices online better. But a lot of the guys I shoot with live 30 to 70 miles away from the shop. They limit you to 1k per type of primer per day. The round trip doesn't make it worth it when you can only get 1K and they wont hold them for you. So I buy some and take them with me to my shoots and sell them for exactly what I payed for them. A good karma kind of thing. Heck some of the guys wouldn't be able to shoot if I didn't play primer Santa Clause The thing is only the regulars know about it and can get in on the deal.

That is a great thing to do.

dudel
05-08-2010, 19:02
Get SP 45 ACP brass. Shoots great.

gjk5
05-08-2010, 19:26
Sportsman's Whorehouse has been pretty consistently stocked here lately with CCI's and Magtechs, they are running about $36 with tax. Local shooting shop has had them almost without fail during the doldrums but they are proud of them: $41-$49.

I have been lazy though and have not run out of anything (I am down to about 1500 LP though, and just bought 2 .44's). I need to get to loading.

Twisted Steel
05-08-2010, 21:23

BUT

Finding others to split the additional costs is the way to go. If the OP is new to reloading, this is the best way to not only save some money, but get in with a group of fellow reloaders who can offer advice and guidance as well as save money. In person, reloaders are an amazing type of people who will gladly help you get into the sport, offer advice and tips, share and reduce expenses, and even let you come see their setup and get you started.

Online on forums, gunowners are some of the biggest arseholes on the planet. In person, helping someone get started in a hobby like reloading and shooting, there isn't a better brand of person on earth.

KiloBravo
05-09-2010, 06:15

BUT

That is something I never would have thought of before. It makes perfect sense though.

Thanks so much for the help!:wavey:

KiloBravo
05-09-2010, 06:20
Finding others to split the additional costs is the way to go. If the OP is new to reloading, this is the best way to not only save some money, but get in with a group of fellow reloaders who can offer advice and guidance as well as save money. In person, reloaders are an amazing type of people who will gladly help you get into the sport, offer advice and tips, share and reduce expenses, and even let you come see their setup and get you started.

Online on forums, gunowners are some of the biggest arseholes on the planet. In person, helping someone get started in a hobby like reloading and shooting, there isn't a better brand of person on earth.

I am BRAND new to the world of reloading. In fact, my press has not even come in or is set up yet. :embarassed:

I appreciate the tip though. I could not agree more about guys being helpful when it comes to reloading. I have met SO many old timers at the range who have helped me out a ton on getting set up getting started. I have no problem talking with guys who let me know they are willing to answer my questions. I ask a lot of them too, in case you couldn't tell by all of them I have been asking in this particular forum lately. :whistling:

kshutt
05-09-2010, 07:47
Old timers? Watch it, kid! :supergrin:

KiloBravo
05-09-2010, 08:01
Old timers? Watch it, kid! :supergrin:

:rofl::rofl:

I meant no dis-respect to my elders. I just call anybody that who has been around the game a while. The ones who have forgotten more than I have ever learned. :supergrin: I have a lot of fun chatting with those guys.

sig2009
05-09-2010, 11:16
As many of my other recent threads have explained, I am going to jump into the reloading world. I want my first crack at it to be .45 ACP. I have brass and powder, but cannot source large pistol primers, and bullets are almost as bad.

I must say...this is really discouraging to find out. I thought I would have enough time during the coming week to find some components, but am beginning to think that it will now take longer.

Can anybody out there help me out in finding some? I just checked several of the big and some smaller sites, but no luck. I realize a lot of you guys probably have a nice stock pile on hand. The timing sure does suck though for us new guys. :faint:

Ok, rant off now. Thanks for listening.

Go to the Valley Forge Pa gun show next month. There is a guy with a table and a yellow sign "308 ammo". He had about 100,000 Wolf large and small primers on the table. He has them at every show. $17.99 per 1000.

KiloBravo
05-09-2010, 12:30
Go to the Valley Forge Pa gun show next month. There is a guy with a table and a yellow sign "308 ammo". He had about 100,000 Wolf large and small primers on the table. He has them at every show. $17.99 per 1000.

Holy crap! :shocked:

Thanks for the tip. I might have to go check that out.

sig2009
05-09-2010, 17:55
Holy crap! :shocked:

Thanks for the tip. I might have to go check that out.

I think he also is at the Harrisburg Farmers Complex show June 12th & 13th.
http://www.pafarmshowcomplex.com/Events-Schedule.aspx

Valley Forge is June 11,12,13th. He will probably be here instead of Harrisburg because Valley Forge is a larger show and they don't charge $8 to park and both shows are on the same weekend. 700 tables and always packed!

glockerbob
05-09-2010, 18:06
you didnt pay too much thats pretty much in line with competetors.good luck in your new hobby. i love it

MarioS
05-09-2010, 22:39
LP primers are out there, just have to look a little bit. I see a good quantity of Wolf LP primers out there. Some regard them as being lower in quality but if you really need some, they are available.