What damage can you expect at 25 yards with a 12G? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What damage can you expect at 25 yards with a 12G?

BSA70
05-08-2010, 05:43
I finally got a chance to experiment with my 870. has a barrell cut at about 19". I was using a painted metal human outline target. At about 15 yards you can see a devastating effect. Go back 25 yards, the shots really scatter. What kind of stopping effect will it have at that range?

22highcaps
05-08-2010, 06:09
Imagine getting hit in both lungs at the same time and throw in the heart while we are at it.

What ammo were you using? People report 9" groups with Flite Control all the time at 25yrds.

aippi
05-08-2010, 08:13
If your barrel was cut down then I assume it is now a Cyl bore since the choke was cut off. You are not going to see very tight groups with a cut down barrel like that. Not that this is any real issue if this is a dedicated HD weapon. However, if you want tight groups at those kind of ranges you should consider a Modified choke barrel or at the least, an Imporved Cyl barrel.

To answer you question. A blast on target with a shotgun is about as deadly as it gets. Much depends on how many pellets hit and where they hit. Hit a human center mass you will find out why the term "Shotgun dead" has been around aslong as shotguns have.

captcurly
05-08-2010, 15:45
My Mossy 930 SPX leaves a deadly pattern at 25 yds. The last time I shot it I put 5 OO buck down range. The torso target was 25 yds away and all,yes all pellets were in the torso. The rounds were Winchester military.

mixflip
05-08-2010, 18:31
It will depend on what ammo you use?, what type of choke if any?, the length of barrel? for starters.

25 yards is about the furthest I'd consider using 00-buck. After that I'd be getting my slugs ready for a quick port load at 30,40 and 50 yards.

Eagles1181
05-08-2010, 19:27
The rule of thumb I heard is that past 20 yards it is time to switch to slugs. I am sure that some guns have reach out to 25 or farther.

Eagle :eagle:

m24shooter
05-09-2010, 09:13
You can push the A and B horizon using Flite Control loads, but even then 25 yards is getting out there for buckshot. Patterning is going to become very important as you're going to want to increase the number of pellets on target. At that range the buck is losing a lot of velocity and the pattern is opening up. That means that there will likely be fewer pellets hitting, and the spherical shape doesn't lead to stellar aerodynamics or penetration. So the counter to that is to make sure that you don't have donuts in your pattern and that your pattern isn't 3 feet across.

method
05-09-2010, 13:13
20 and 15 yard patterns with full power Flight Control 00 from an improved cylinder Saiga 12

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/6245/0000499cq8.jpg

I've shot several buckshot loads through my S12 and 870, in 00, #1, and #4. The Flight Control is by far the best patterning in both guns. I wouldn't hesitate to use this load at 40 yards.

N/Apower
05-09-2010, 21:33
Federal Flite control performs VERY well out to about 20 yards for me, but past that, it is erratic. More predictable is OOO Buck from a MOD choke.

M4S90 platform.

ajstrider
05-10-2010, 03:56
Patterning is an issue at 25 yards, but can be solved. However someone mentioned that the buckshot is losing a lot of velocity out there and stopping power should be a consideration too. A round ball is pretty crappy in the ballistics department and doesn't exactly penetrate that well. I wouldn't go past 25 yards with my shotgun with buckshot.

People were commenting on the Flitecontrol loads by Federal, which are pretty awesome, but I just wanted to throw out there that Federal does not recommend using them in ported guns, the ports will separate the wad from the shot too quickly and not allow it to have proper flight. I am just throwing this out there because I know porting is becoming more popular these days.