MREs Life [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : MREs Life

mad.gunsmith
05-08-2010, 06:54
Hello
I got some MREs from my fire department they ware close to the end of there 5 year self life according to manufactures guide lines
Any way
So I have 2 weekend of food for the family and
I donít want to find that they did go bad when we have an emergency
What can I do to prolong the life of these MREs?
I was thinking on putting as many possible in to the freezer and when power goes out will get them out an eat but I canít freeze all of them
What else can I do for the rest of them?
Thank you

JC Refuge
05-09-2010, 09:59
Hey there, MG. I occasionally sell MREs but I'm not a real big fan of them for preparedness purposes.

The limited shelf life of at least some of the individual components is the main issue in my mind (not to mention overall weight, bulk, and taste). The general rule, to get maximum shelf life for MREs, is you want to store them in consistent temps, as cool as possible. If you freeze them, keep them frozen--don't thaw and refreeze.

Freezing isn't usually going to be necessary, as long as you have an area (basement?) where temps are usually below room temp and above freezing.

Real government issue MREs have a time-temperature indicator sticker on the outside box to give you an idea of how well they have been stored over time. For info on that, click here:
http://www.natick.army.mil/soldier/media/fact/food/Time-Temperature_Indicator.htm