.308 loads difficult to chamber! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : .308 loads difficult to chamber!

M1A Shooter
05-08-2010, 18:07
i am loading on a lee single stage press using lee dies. i have used this same setup in the past but its been put away for 6 months or so. i dialed everything in the same as i always do. full length sized some once fired brass, headstamp is F C 308 Win. i trimmed it with a possum hollow manual trimmer, deburred inside and outside the case neck, seated the primer, added 42.0gr of RL-15 and seated a 168gr Hornady HPBT. same exact load ive shot a few hundred of out of my SPS-V build.
got 10 rounds loaded tonight, came in to test fit and its very difficult to chamber the round. it will fit in the mag and drops into the chamber but when closing the bolt, it needs quite a bit of effort to get the bolt to cam down. my new rifle is a R700 5R milspec. maybe the chamber is a bit different and i dont know the difference?
i am wanting to double check this before i start cramming rounds into a chamber and have pressure issues with a new gun.
the gun is clean and will lock the bolt in place easily with no round so it has to be an ammo problem. am i overlooking something?

M1A Shooter
05-08-2010, 18:10
cartridge OAL is 8.820" by my lyman calipers.

n2extrm
05-08-2010, 18:13
i am loading on a lee single stage press using lee dies. i have used this same setup in the past but its been put away for 6 months or so. i dialed everything in the same as i always do. full length sized some once fired brass, headstamp is F C 308 Win. i trimmed it with a possum hollow manual trimmer, deburred inside and outside the case neck, seated the primer, added 42.0gr of RL-15 and seated a 168gr Hornady HPBT. same exact load ive shot a few hundred of out of my SPS-V build.
got 10 rounds loaded tonight, came in to test fit and its very difficult to chamber the round. it will fit in the mag and drops into the chamber but when closing the bolt, it needs quite a bit of effort to get the bolt to cam down. my new rifle is a R700 5R milspec. maybe the chamber is a bit different and i dont know the difference?
i am wanting to double check this before i start cramming rounds into a chamber and have pressure issues with a new gun.
the gun is clean and will lock the bolt in place easily with no round so it has to be an ammo problem. am i overlooking something?

Was this brass fired in another gun? Have you loaded for this gun with yur dies? What is your OAL? I am guessing OAL is ok if they fit the magazine. Re-adjust your sizing die. My guess the die is a little off and the shoulder needs to be bumped back on the brass. Bring the die down a little and try it.

n2extrm
05-08-2010, 18:14
cartridge OAL is 8.820" by my lyman calipers.

8.820" ???? Should be coser to 2.80?:dunno:

M1A Shooter
05-08-2010, 18:19
sorry, OAL is 2.820"

M1A Shooter
05-08-2010, 18:21
Was this brass fired in another gun? Have you loaded for this gun with yur dies? What is your OAL? I am guessing OAL is ok if they fit the magazine. Re-adjust your sizing die. My guess the die is a little off and the shoulder needs to be bumped back on the brass. Bring the die down a little and try it.

i have used these dies before in another R700 but not this one. OAL is 2.820". ill bump the die down a bit and retry then.

n2extrm
05-08-2010, 18:25
i have used these dies before in another R700 but not this one. OAL is 2.820". ill bump the die down a bit and retry then.

The new rifle probable just has a tighter chamber. Move it down and try it till it closes the bolt correctly. A case gauge is great ifyou have one, otherwise just adjust it to your chamber a little at a time. :wavey:

Zombie Steve
05-08-2010, 18:48
When you pull it out does the bullet have marks on it from the lands? Does it measure the same OAL when you take it out?

Remingtons are notorious for long leade, but who knows?

M1A Shooter
05-08-2010, 19:12
ok, after measuring and measuring and redoing some other brass, i have come to think its an extractor claw problem. my rounds come out the same as they go in, however the rim has a small rounded spot where it meets the extractor. if i manualy place the rim under the claw and feed it, it feeds and chambers properly. i moved the claw by hand and it doesnt seem to bind when pressed into the bolt but when a round is pressed into the bolt face the claw will not freely move out of the way to get the rim. i hope this makes sense.

M1A Shooter
05-08-2010, 19:13
also, if i force the round in place, i can pul the bolt in and out of battery and it does fine until i fully eject the round and try to get it back into the extractor claw. tried it on all ten rounds and it works the same.

there are no marks from the lands on the bullets. just the rounded corner from the extractor.

n2extrm
05-09-2010, 06:04
Is it a new rifle or new to you? You could take he bolt apart and clean everyting, try it again. Does the extractor or ejector feel stiff? I think you have another 700, look under the extractor and compare the clips on both. I know you know this but for anyone who may read this and does not know, never swap bolts in rifles it will change the head space.

M1A Shooter
05-09-2010, 23:10
i did check out the extractor, if i more it by hand, it doesnt seem to need excessive force to move it inside the bolt head. it does look like it needs to be cleaned. i will pull the bolt apart and clean it thoroughly and report back.

Gunnut 45/454
05-12-2010, 14:12
M1A Shooter
Some rifles don't want you to close the bolt over a dropped in cartridge! Have to loaded from the Mag only or you'll dammage the extractor! Mausers require load only from mag!:whistling:

Glockdude1
05-12-2010, 14:26
8.820" ???? Should be coser to 2.80?:dunno:

I was begining to wonder if M1A Shooter's rifle, had a 20mm conversion barrel.

:cool:

M1A Shooter
05-12-2010, 17:46
I was begining to wonder if M1A Shooter's rifle, had a 20mm conversion barrel.

:cool:

do they make these yet? :whistling: