Copy Firefox Favorites to new PC [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Copy Firefox Favorites to new PC

wrenrj1
05-09-2010, 18:13
I'm transitioning to a new Mac actually, however in doing this slow I need to transfer my FF favorites from my dying PC to a laptop until I have my iMac ready. All I've seen is how to transfer IE favorites to FF. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

evilspringer
05-09-2010, 18:59
go to bookmarks, click organize bookmarks, click import and backup then click backup. You can choose where to save and the name of the file. Then when you set up FF in Mac, go to organize bookmarks and go to restore then choose file.

TBO
05-09-2010, 19:56
http://www.xmarks.com/

TXVoyager
05-09-2010, 21:30
http://www.xmarks.com/

+1 for XMarks. I have it set up on all my PC's so I always have my favorites available. Can even sync with IE if needed.

JimmyN
05-10-2010, 06:06
If you want to copy them to/from a different browser you'll need to use the import/export as different browsers use different formats. If you're copying from FF to FF on another PC it's quicker and easier to just copy the 'bookmarks.html' file to the new PC, rather than using import/export on each system. And save a copy as a backup while you're at it.

Copy the 'bookmarks.html' file to the new PC and overwrite the default it created on install, if all you want is the bookmarks. FF stores it's bookmarks in a standard html file, and if you double click on that file you can actually view your bookmarks as a web page. Mozilla made it really easy to copy your bookmarks from one system to another.

You can also copy 'signons3.txt' and 'key3.db' to the new PC if you want to copy over your saved usernames/passwords, if you don't use a master password in FF. If you use a master password things get a bit more complicated.

I usually just copy the whole /Mozilla/ folder from the users /Application Data/ folder to a second, or new, PC. I think on the Mac the profiles are stored in /...Library/Application Support/. That way I also transfer all the saved usernames/passwords, form filling info, toolbar customizations, etc. as well as the bookmarks (favorites) to the new system.

Actually I now keep my FF profile on a NAS, which also backs up the profile each night. That way I can run FF on any of the 3 Windows desktops, or my FreeBSD system and they all use the same profile from the NAS.

kurt1305
05-10-2010, 06:47
Open the "Organize Bookmarks" Click on the drop down menu that looks like a star. Click "Export HTML"

captainstormy
05-10-2010, 13:52
I use Xmarks. It makes it quick and simple to have the same set of bookmarks on several different computers and even on several different browsers.

Goldendog Redux
05-10-2010, 14:01
While we are on the topic of FF and at the risk of a highjack...My FF on both computers is acting like crap recently-wont open certain windows/links, won't complete checkout for online purchases, youtube is all jacked up etc. I am using Chrome right now.

I made no changes to my computer. Java may have updated recently. I have un-re-installed several times.

Any ideas?

Thx,

MF