Are replacement barrels on pistols worth the extra dough? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Are replacement barrels on pistols worth the extra dough?

pugman
05-10-2010, 08:05
First, Congratulations to ME as I finally got my wife to let me teach her to shoot. I tried everything from bribes to letting her go to a show and choose any handgun she wanted based on its ergonomics.

First time was yesterday with my Buckmark. I know some folks preach you should start first time shooters off with a larger caliber but I call it a win.

Of course :upeyes:, she is a natural. After a at home walkthrough, and getting the first couple of mags fired to get the hang of things she appears to be a very consistent shooter (even took her targets to work to show her coworkers). She even figured on her own she was limp wristing it at times (which we covered in Shooting 101) and took action to correct her grip. :supergrin: I'm so proud...

The weight is a little off balance for her (she has really small hands) and I mentioned I could upgrade the barrel as she is looking for better groups.

I know the Tactical Solutions barrels run a couple of hundred bucks, but at shorter distances of say 25 or 50 feet have people noticed a huge improvement? Now that she seems on board, I was going to get a rail and scope of some type and thought that might be enough.

vafish
05-10-2010, 13:45
The Tac Sol barrels are lighter then the Buckmark's standard barrels.

When you say the balance is off are you looking for a lighter barrel?

While Tac Sol makes a quality barrel that is easily the equal of the Buckmark's standard barrel if not more accurate, generally speaking a light weight handgun is more difficult to shoot accurately. Having a bit of muzzle heaviness helps stabilize the wiggles.

And paying $200 for a Tac-Sol barrel you are half way to getting her a Buckmark of her own. $379 would get you a Micro Buckmark with the shorter barrel. Should also be able to get the Buckmark Challenge for around that price too. At 25 ounces the Challenge is the lightest Buckmark made and still has the 5.5" barrel.

pugman
05-13-2010, 00:47
The Tac Sol barrels are lighter then the Buckmark's standard barrels.

When you say the balance is off are you looking for a lighter barrel?

While Tac Sol makes a quality barrel that is easily the equal of the Buckmark's standard barrel if not more accurate, generally speaking a light weight handgun is more difficult to shoot accurately. Having a bit of muzzle heaviness helps stabilize the wiggles.

And paying $200 for a Tac-Sol barrel you are half way to getting her a Buckmark of her own. $379 would get you a Micro Buckmark with the shorter barrel. Should also be able to get the Buckmark Challenge for around that price too. At 25 ounces the Challenge is the lightest Buckmark made and still has the 5.5" barrel.

The buckmark I have is a 5.5" and I think she is looking for a lighter barrel. Truth be told...if she doesn't like it...I'm more than willing to give it a try :supergrin: [my Jedi mind trick worked on her!].

Seriously, I think its the accuracy she is more concerned with. What is really strange is she groups better firing faster?

vafish
05-13-2010, 07:45
The buckmark I have is a 5.5" and I think she is looking for a lighter barrel. Truth be told...if she doesn't like it...I'm more than willing to give it a try :supergrin: [my Jedi mind trick worked on her!].

Seriously, I think its the accuracy she is more concerned with. What is really strange is she groups better firing faster?

Not surprising at all. She's not thinking as much when she is firing faster.

I coach junior rifle teams. Normal match time limit for standing shots is 2 minutes per shot. We do speed drills with the kids to show them that even if something goes wrong and they lose some time they can still shoot very well at a faster pace. Down to about 15 seconds per shot they are usually shooting just as well or better then at 2 minutes per shot. That's with a single shot bolt action .22 rifle.

When you get rid of all the mental clutter and just let your subconscious shoot you can do amazing things.

I'm a mediocre trap shooter and I shoot better scores on doubles they I do on singles. I think it's because I have less time to think about the shot.

Perfect is the enemy of good enough.

Glock 17L
05-13-2010, 14:05
I too would just purchase another 22 before I would buy a Tactical Solutions Barrel..
It sounds like your a Browning Buckmark kinda dude but give the Ruger MKII a look maybe in the tapered 6 7/8" Target.. Not muzzle heavy
You should be able to walk into a used MKII for $250-$300 IMO..
Good Luck & Congrats getting the wife interested in the shooting sports game..

Ludwigs9th
05-14-2010, 11:23
I recently bought my wife the Buck Mark Lite 5.5. She mentioned that she wished mine didn't weigh as much. She picked it out over the other Buck Marks because of the lighter weight. Now we both have a Buck Mark and enjoy shooting them together. If you had offered (as a bribe) to buy her a firearm of her own, consider one of these if she continues to show interest in shooting. She has one of her own so you don't have to share and you get to take her shooting. It's win/win if you can afford it.

Generalcarry
05-16-2010, 04:52
I've heard more horror stories about spouse teaching spouse how to shoot than success stories. I ponied up to get a certified instructor and very glad I did. Praise means a lot when if comes from someone she will think of as a "pro"!