Taser info [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Taser info

FatBoy
05-10-2010, 12:35
HI,

I am looking for info for a "Taser" for the better half. She doesn't want to carry a handgun, but has recently shown interest in a taser for non-lethal self-defense. About the only one I see for us non LE/Mil types is the C2. Is this considered an acceptable model for non-lethal self-defense? Or, are there other out there that I just haven't run across?

Thank you for your time and input,

FB

Mas Ayoob
05-11-2010, 04:08
The C2 "civilian TASER" is certainly a promising tool for intermediate force self-defense, but I for one haven't run across any actual usages yet. A few considerations:

1. Carefully check legality in your jurisdiction. TASER International advertises it as prohibited in DC, HI, MA, MI, RI, NY, NJ, and WI, and "legal with restrictions" in CT and IL. Be aware that county and municipal ordnances may be different from state law, as with firearms. For instance, in most parts of Illinois you can have an AR-15 and a Glock with full capacity magazines for home defense, but the AR and the Glock full-caps may run afoul of the Cook County "assault weapons ban," and in Chicago the Glock itself will be forbidden (at least for now). Something similar can impact your use of ERDs (eletronic restraint devices) such as the TASER in certain counties and municipalities. Check local and get it in writing.

2. Remember that no self-defense tool is foolproof. There have been some documented failures with police TASERs, M26 and X26, just as there have been documented "failures to stop" with .308 rifle bullets and 12 gauge rifled slugs. Nothing is guaranteed to work 100% to instantly stop violent human beings.

3. While the C2 comes with a "training DVD," I'm not aware of a structured training program for it that would be akin to the excellent institutionalized training that accompanies the police-issued TASERs.

4. Be aware that the subject instantly recovers from any TASERing as soon as the current turns off. Cops learn to step in and cuff him as soon as the five seconds of current end. The C2 delivers a 30-second jolt, and the user is instructed by the company to drop the unit, leaving it and the twitching perp both on the ground, and run with a 30-second head start. (The company will replace a lost C2 upon receipt of a police report of your using it in this fashion.)

Not saying that the "civilian TASER" isn't promising, just that it has not yet had the opportunity to become street-proven to the level some of us want to see, and that a good deal of thought and planning will have to accompany its use.

best,
Mas

FatBoy
05-13-2010, 18:43
Thank you Mas for the info/input. I have checked, and as far as I can tell up here in Maine, they are fine for the average folks to use. I understand about the training issues and that is one of my concerns. Along with it only being a single use defensive tool. When there may be multiple attackers to contend with, but she won't CCW a pistol, so this may be an option along with a small can of Fox pepper spray.

Thanks again,

FB