G20sf inability to shoot straight [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : G20sf inability to shoot straight

RB98SS
05-11-2010, 09:03
I posted an earlier thread regarding the inaccuracy issues I've been having with my G20 but thought I'd ask a few questions regarding my next step(s) to get me to shoot straight. I'm sure the issue is with me. I think what's causing it is the trigger pull. I can't seem to keep the sights on target when I dry fire. I have 5 other handguns that I can shoot consistantly with including a G33, but I can't get the G20 figured out. I've recently performed the .25 trigger job and things are a bit better but I'm wondering if I purchased the 3.5# connector if that would make a considerable difference. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what things I could do, or parts available to get this trigger better?

Thanks, Gary

d13s3l
05-11-2010, 13:51
wouldnt bother w/ more accessories/gunsmithing...
is this a new gun or new to you? factory sights?

have someone else shoot it to see if its just you or maybe the gun.

snap caps are great training aid.

you could be flinching, how do your groups look?

also try using these for help

right hand
[/URL] [URL]http://glocktalk.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=817&pictureid=3026 (http://glocktalk.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=817&pictureid=3026)

left hand
http://glocktalk.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=817&pictureid=3025 (http://glocktalk.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=817&pictureid=3026)

Kegs
05-11-2010, 14:34
I would suggest a Ghost rocket 3.5 connector installed for proper overstravel stop and make sure that striker safety is honed down properly - You have to be careful how you hone it, but I'm telling you that it makes a giant difference in the trigger pull. This portion of the mechanism makes the trigger feel like a "2 stage trigger" when the front tab on the trigger bar rubs on it as it is pulled back. Smoothing this area up (needs honed, but not TOO MUCH) will definitely help the trigger.

Also - the connector friction areas need lubed with a proper oil - a mix of blue grease and hoppes oil is what I use and it works well.

RB98SS
05-11-2010, 14:45
you could be flinching, how do your groups look?I'm not flinching, but when I dry fire I can see I'm pulling off target. It's so bad that I couldn't even say I have "groups" :crying:

I'm shooting some bigger caliber guns and flinching hasn't been a problem. My G33 seems to have a better trigger and hasn't caused me any grief. Isn't that the same trigger pull?

make sure that striker safety is honed down properlyI did the trigger job and the striker safety also, but what are you specifically referring to when you say "properly"?

Thanks again.

leadslinger13
05-11-2010, 21:01
work on adjusting your grip while dry firing. Make sure you are using the pad of your trigger finger and not the first joint. see if you are milking with left hand. It will take some small adjusments and you will be fine.

HOV
05-12-2010, 05:58
Death grip.

RB98SS
05-12-2010, 08:12
Death grip.

Huh? Maybe when I shoot my .50 Desert Eagle, but not this 10mm. I just can't get the trigger smooth enough to fire it with any accuracy. I can see what I'm doing, and its trigger related.

I guess I'm just going to try a few trigger mods and see if I can make it more comfortable. They're relatively inexpensive. I don't want to give up on the pistol but it's very frustrating being able to group all my handguns but this one.

Kegs
05-12-2010, 15:16
I did the trigger job and the striker safety also, but what are you specifically referring to when you say "properly"?

Thanks again.

The striker safety has to be honed down pretty decent to reduce that "2 stage" trigger affect. You can test this by disassembling the pistol, removing the striker safety and then dry firing. See how it feels - if it is much improved, than you'll know that's the problem.

There used to be a thread in general glocking about this - I can't find it.

HOV
05-13-2010, 07:39
Huh? Maybe when I shoot my .50 Desert Eagle, but not this 10mm. I just can't get the trigger smooth enough to fire it with any accuracy. I can see what I'm doing, and its trigger related.

I guess I'm just going to try a few trigger mods and see if I can make it more comfortable. They're relatively inexpensive. I don't want to give up on the pistol but it's very frustrating being able to group all my handguns but this one.

My philosophy: when the activation of the trigger causes perturbation in the direction of the barrel, grip pressure must be increased.

There's most likely nothing wrong with the gun itself, try eliminating all user error first before trying a material solution to yoru accuracy problem.

I had identical problems when I first started shooting the G20. Thought it was something other than me, as I'm an experienced shooter and group very well with all my other guns. But as I got used to shooting the G20, I learned that it was my fault for the initial bad accuracy. The gun's just a little different than others with its big fat grip. Lots of snap cap work and just plain old holding the gun a lot did wonders for my accuracy.

RB98SS
05-13-2010, 08:25
Thanks for all the feedback guys, I appreciate it. It's somewhat comforting knowing that others took a while to get used to shooting the G20.

lunker
05-13-2010, 08:30
A simple trick is to throw a penny on the end of the slide next to the front sight. Practice dry-firing and not letting the penny fall off. That will fix your trigger pull.

RB98SS
05-16-2010, 17:36
Below is a target that I brought back from the range today. I was determined to figure this out. I had 3 different loads using 165gr Rainiers and 180gr Winchester Flat points. The upper left bullseye is my G33 shooting freehand. The other bullseyes are shooting the G20 from sandbags. All at around ~30 ft. I had one of the regular workers at the range give it a try and he did about as well as me. I'm going to have it looked at by the ranges gunsmith and see what he thinks. I'm really frustrated. I'm also going to purchase a box of factory rounds but I've tried so many different reload combos I just can't see that as an issue.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa139/rb98ss/DSC_0254.jpg

nickE10mm
05-17-2010, 16:22
All fine suggestions above.....

I will say that, most likely, its not the gun throwing off your shots. :-) No offense, but thats what experience and statistics tells me.

As for which Glock trigger? I had extremely good luck with the Ghost Rocket 3.5lb connector (w/ overtravel stop) in combination with the "Wolff Trigger Group Competition Pack" at http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?page=items&cID=1&mID=5#127 Its only $9.00 for the spring pack and that was probably the best thing I ever did to my Glock. Make sure and read the disclaimers, though. I used it for hunting and target. I wouldn't wanna get in trouble if I had to use my Glock for self defense and have someone try and sue me because I messed with my trigger. That being said, its a GREAT option for hunting, etc.

RB98SS
05-17-2010, 17:03
All fine suggestions above.....

I will say that, most likely, its not the gun throwing off your shots. :-) No offense, but that's what experience and statistics tells me.

None taken.

I agree, it's most likely something I'm doing but I just can't figure it out. I mean really, sandbags and I still can't produce a grouping. I have fair groups with my 22 Colt, 357sig G33, 357mag Ruger, 44mag S&W, and 50AE Desert Eagle but this gun's got my number. I have done the .25 trigger job as mentioned above and have since added a 3.5# connector. I've tried but didn't like the NY-1 8# trigger spring and there's been no change. I really need to find someone that has a 20, shoots it well, and shows me what I am doing wrong. It shouldn't be that much different than my other handguns.

nickE10mm
05-17-2010, 17:20
None taken.

I agree, it's most likely something I'm doing but I just can't figure it out. I mean really, sandbags and I still can't produce a grouping. I have fair groups with my 22 Colt, 357sig G33, 357mag Ruger, 44mag S&W, and 50AE Desert Eagle but this gun's got my number. I have done the .25 trigger job as mentioned above and have since added a 3.5# connector. I've tried but didn't like the NY-1 8# trigger spring and there's been no change. I really need to find someone that has a 20, shoots it well, and shows me what I am doing wrong. It shouldn't be that much different than my other handguns.

Try this. Make a VERY conscious effort to follow through on your trigger pull. In other words, during and milliseconds AFTER the shot, make an effort to tell your brain to continue the rearward stroke of the trigger pull, thus "following through" on the shot. That seemed to help me on longer shots with the Glock.