Fedora 13 ... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Fedora 13 ...

tous
05-11-2010, 12:36
... is scheduled for release on the 18th.

Anyone else care?

:tongueout:

<--- Red Hat codger :fred:
<--- has run Xenix on an IBM-PC (no, not an AT) :supergrin:
<--- once had a 3B2 at home; operating system cost as much as the box and terminal

:supergrin:

GIockGuy24
05-11-2010, 13:10
I've got Red Hat 6 beta on one machine. It's very similar to Fedora 12. Fedora 13 does have interesting new features. Hopefully CentOS will release something on Red Hat 6 soon. Most likely the next beta.

tous
05-11-2010, 13:43
We're surrounded by Ubuntus! :shocked:

Run for it! :scared:

:supergrin:

:wavey:

I use CentOS as a host for test database and web servers. Works well, but it currently doesn't have the options that make it a good workstation.

Beware the wild Ubuntus, for they shall mislead the innocent penguin into sin.
:tongueout:

Linux3
05-11-2010, 19:20
I will at least be giving Fedora 13 a real try. I cut my Linux teeth on Red Hat 3.0 and kind of always preferred rpm based systems.
Plus Ubuntu has been ticking me off more and more.
Alias vi to vim. If I wanted vim I'd type v i m
Link to /bin/sh being dash rather than bash. I've had to fix with far too many scripts that didn't really like dash.
No more xorg.conf
Muching about with the rc levels.

I could go on and on. I mean, I accept Ubuntu for what it is, the easiest O.S. to manage period but it's not perfect.

tous
05-11-2010, 19:37
I will at least be giving Fedora 13 a real try. I cut my Linux teeth on Red Hat 3.0 and kind of always preferred rpm based systems.
Plus Ubuntu has been ticking me off more and more.
Alias vi to vim. If I wanted vim I'd type v i m
Link to /bin/sh being dash rather than bash. I've had to fix with far too many scripts that didn't really like dash.
No more xorg.conf
Muching about with the rc levels.

I could go on and on. I mean, I accept Ubuntu for what it is, the easiest O.S. to manage period but it's not perfect.

Fedora used to be challenging, especially when it came to devices, but since around Fedora 10 it installs and runs pretty much like Windows unless you have some exotic bit of hardware.

:thumbsup:

IndyGunFreak
05-11-2010, 19:39

I've said many times, if you're an experienced user, Ubuntu will tick you off a bit w/ various things(a couple of which you mentioned). I prefer Debian, but Ubuntu 10.04 has been working flawlessly for me.

IGF

Linux3
05-12-2010, 05:45
I've said many times, if you're an experienced user, Ubuntu will tick you off a bit w/ various things(a couple of which you mentioned). I prefer Debian, but Ubuntu 10.04 has been working flawlessly for me. IGF
Lets see, 'round about the time I installed Red Hat 7.3 on a Thinkpad T23 you were a man if you got everything working; insert hairy chested grunt here.
I do kind of miss the challenge but on the other hand it's nice to be able to just get something done.

GIockGuy24
05-13-2010, 17:02
Fedora and Debian run faster than Ubuntu for me. I think Ubuntu puts a lot of "junk" in the kernel to avoid having to recompile for some 3rd party apps. A lot of it is for really obscure apps too, just because they're there, not because somebody would really want to use them.